Tips For Writing Good Text Links?
    Does anyone have any tips on writing effective text links? What do the affiliates out there prefer?

I suppose classic ad writing says you've got to have a call to action, but maybe real life says otherwise.

Do you guys like a full link, say two sentences, with a nice description, call to action, and maybe even a coupon code?

Or would you rather just have a snippet that you can include with an article or other content?

Or even smaller, would you rather have just, say, the name of our company, and you'll write your own text around it?

What makes an effective link? The age old question...

--Jason

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Or even smaller, would you rather have just, say, the name of our company, and you'll write your own text around it?
    Bingo!!

"Click Here" and "MerchantName" are the most versatile text links there are. They can go in any text, whether sales copy, an article...anything. I prefer "click here" the most, but either one is better than trying to mash a bunch of extra text, written in someone else's style, onto a page.

When the merchant writes a bunch of link text, I avoid using those links, because 99% of the time it doesn't fit anything on the page, and isn't in a style I write in (so it won't fit into whatever I've said).

Even worse is when they make an entire 1 or 2-line clunker into an active link, so it becomes an overwhelming sea of blue words, instead of a quick and snappy 2-word link. And some of them go really overboard, and don't stop with just a couple of lines. I've seen some that actually linkify an entire paragraph of text! As you can see by this example, it's better to keep the amount of words in a link to a smaller amount.

"Click here." I can't say enough good about it. It fits with anything, isn't visually overwhelming, and is a call to action. Of course, the user of "click here" or "MerchantName" does need to write their own ad copy around it to get the proper results. If a site just lists one linked name after another, without explanation or elaboration (as in a "link farm" setup), usually not many people will be interested in clicking any of them...

I agree with leader,

1-3 word links with a coupon code and an expiration date

It's the context that matters
    What kind of text links? There is no single strategy for "text links" because text performance depends entirely on context, and there are million contexts (places) where a text ad might appear. Where is the "text link" appearing?

If you're looking ONLY at PPC-Search text-ads, your strategy will still vary depending on the context (which includes the search phrase, the bid rate, and the other ads that will appear adjacent to yours). For text links on Google AdWords and Yahoo/Overture, some strategies are different. Yahoo's system is purely bid-based, so there is a huge cost benefit in writing ads that discourage clicks; with AdWords, reducing the click rate will depress your position and increase the minimum bid amount. (This doesn't mean your AdWords ads should never 'disqualify' -- but your strategy will be different than at Yahoo/Overture.)

Should your link include price? A coupon code? Product benefits? Promises of a better night's sleep? Adjectives like faster, better, stronger, etc. (if allowed)? It all depends on the context.

I'm talking about LS text links, ones that affiliates can grab code for and post on their pages.

I think Leader is right. I've been spending a bunch of time coming up with some nice sales sentences, and I'm sure people might use them, but I should encourage affiliates to grab one or two word links, maybe just some small sales text, and build something around them.

I think that's what I want to try and emphasize.

Thanks for the tips Leader!

--Jason

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I prefer just a code that gets my visitor to the product/page/site. I write my own text for links into my pages so anything more than 1 or two words is gonna get re-writtten anyway.

I guess it depends on the affiliate and how their site is designed but I'd say just the basics. Click here works on a site but is a killer in newsletter or email promotions because those words are huge SPAM triggers.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I'm talking about LS text links, ones that affiliates can grab code for and post on their pages.
    Oh Linkshare text links!

I find the default                   works best

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Oh Linkshare text links!

I find the default                   works best
    Yeah, especially if you want your visitors to have to scroll a mile to the right to read each sentence.

That's what is wrong with LS links. If you don't clean the garbage out, they won't break at the end of a line and it screws your layout up.

If you're a merchant wanting to create the easiest link - do what Leader said - Click here or your name. We can change that to what we want for keyword links or we can build our own sales copy around it. If you're linking to a promotion that's hard to understand - write a paragraph somewhere else and give it to us to use.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I rarely use the merchant's text. I usually write my own copy for text links.

So the consensus seems to be I should give out short and sweet links and the affiliates will fill in the blanks. Seems like a plan...

I wish I could do something about those stupid LS links...

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Don't be too vague but don't have a 20 words sentence in the text

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread