Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    When One Of Your Site Visitors Visits You At Home
    "Now the guy was harmless, I’ll admit - Nice, even I suppose. His explanation for showing up was that I hadnt returned his calls or responded to his email message, both of which he had waited 24 hours to hear back from me on."

http://www.clicknewz.com/170/using-physical-address/

http and a telephoto
    I use a po box and will continue to do so. About to get one locally, but I still have one back on the east coast...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    And people question private domain registration???
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    And people question private domain registration???
    I share Rexanne's reaction plus I register my domains privately.

Usually [there have been a couple of exceptions] I don't want to become involved with any visitors to my site[s].

Lynn [in her post (source) ] is referring to the CAN-SPAM Act and the required mailing address for use with mailing lists and newsletters to comply -- that's the reason why I don't send out newsletters or use a private mailing list.

Affiliate Merchants might need to supply more information than Affiliate Marketers (there could be some cases where such disclosure could benefit a merchant).
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 9th, 2006 at 08:43 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Now that's what I call a "visitor".

That would be just a bit spooky, I think.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I had a customer write me once and I always responded to her mails ( as I always respond to everyone who writes me). Then one day, I am totally not lying, she writes me this long letter about how every morning she gets up and can hardly wait to get to the computer to see if there is a "letter" from me. That was TOO FREAKY!

Luckly I was able to get rid of my cyber stalker, but the point is, there are some NOT NORMAL people out there, you have to be careful how much info you put out there or how friendly you are when you respond to people, stick to business like, lol!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    One time - about 7 at night - someone knocked on my door.

"I saw your address on your website and wanted to buy one of those personalized photo pillows for my grandma."

My first reaction was

"Pal! It's a gated community! HTF did you get in"?

But my son was standing next to me so I politely said

"It's a friggin' 2-bedroom apartment. Does it LOOK like I make personalized pillows here"!!!!

My address was down the next day.

American Express (I have a merchant account) made me put it back up at some point, but now all I get are the occasional "I live in Vegas. Can I come pick up the personalized champagne bottles so I don't have to wait 2 weeks for delivery?"

That is like when I was in LA for E3 in May.

One of the members on my forum found out I was in LA.

Dude showed up at my hotel which I told everyone I was staying at.
    Asked for my autograph paid for me to go to Sea World in San Diego. Took me to dinner.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    That is like when I was in LA for E3 in May.

One of the members on my forum found out I was in LA.

Dude showed up at my hotel which I told everyone I was staying at.
    Asked for my autograph paid for me to go to Sea World in San Diego. Took me to dinner.
    Holy holy - you've reached celebrity status Mike. :-)

Was the guy at least interesting or was that free dinner a chore?

I'd run like hell if someone found me via my web site and showed up at my door.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I had a customer write me once and I always responded to her mails ( as I always respond to everyone who writes me). Then one day, I am totally not lying, she writes me this long letter about how every morning she gets up and can hardly wait to get to the computer to see if there is a "letter" from me. That was TOO FREAKY!
    I don't mind if people enjoy my scintillating e-mails as long as the subject is on a topic I like to write about.
    Some of those people turn into friends

I refuse to answer e-mails sent by people who want free advice from me instead of hiring an accountant or an attorney [etc...] (I've received a bunch of those requests).

I *do* mind if teen-agers write me and expect me to write their research papers for them (that's happened).

I've met people "from the Internet" -- the meetings were mutually agreed upon.

I had some domains that were not privately registered (prior to the private option) and I received a few wacky telephone calls.

The great thing about "people on the Internet" is that it's easy to ignore them if that's what you want -- sure you might get multiple e-mails, but keep hitting the delete key and your lack of response will cause the person to lose interest sooner or later.
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 9th, 2006 at 11:23 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I guess my attitude is a little like Alfred E. Newman in "what me worry?" We live in the country and had two big guys knock on my door at 3:00a.m. needing gas, and I went out and gave it to them. My address can be found on some sites, and probably shouldn't be, but there are many things ahead of that on my worry list. Wish it weren't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Holy holy - you've reached celebrity status Mike. :-)

Was the guy at least interesting or was that free dinner a chore?

I'd run like hell if someone found me via my web site and showed up at my door.
    Dinner was good was kind of weird but after the initial hug that lasted 2 minutes it went good.

I've always used the company PO box and lately, have stopped even putting in on web sites.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I never put an address or ph.# on any sites. (I would if I sold or shipped product though)
    The only internet-related mail I ever get is to the P.O. Box. Some scam co. trying to renew my domain names at 3 times the normal cost..

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Some scam co. trying to renew my domain names at 3 times the normal cost..
    I have two of those now; one in Rochester (NY) and one in Buffalo. Wow, what a deal . . .

ABW Ambassador
    OMG - this thread is giving me the creepy-crawlies! If someone showed up at my door, I'd be so freaked out! Thankfully, I use a PO box!

Your welcome at Poopies
    I've had people show up and I invite them in to the poop den. I am courteous and offer them some coffee and use of the pooper pot.

Usually we just sit around and talk poop. One gal was so interesting that reversed the situation and found her name and address in the phone book and decided i would go over to her house to shoot more poop.

Well what she didn't tell me was that she had a big gorilla of a husband. We then proceeded to kick the poop around and got drunk on what she said were 18 year old bottles of Blue Nun wine. It turns out that she is a Jailer over in Jean Nevada and he works for the Las Vegas sewer department where I found out you can fish for "Brown Trout" at the aeration pond.

They were very interested in this affiliate marketing thing and after the so called party, they kept calling me at all hours of the night wanting to know how to do things on their attempt of a website.

That was it, I could take no more. When I take a couple of sleeping pills just to close my eyes, I do not need idiots trying to learn about the poop I do.

I have now changed my house numbers to represent my phone number backwards, so those people that drive by can't figure out the address. And my phone is now forwarded to Haikos number so he can talk poop with them.

So the moral of the story is....

Make sure your pooper pot is clean when unexpected guests arrive.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

That's just a bit spooky. If I had a family, or someone close living with me, I'd make sure to keep all of that info hidden as much as possible.

Having said that, the only thing I've managed to do up to this point is get a P.O. Box registered for my business. I suppose that's worked well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    I've had people show up and I invite them in to the poop den. I am courteous and offer them some coffee and use of the pooper pot.

Usually we just sit around and talk poop. One gal was so interesting that reversed the situation and found her name and address in the phone book and decided i would go over to her house to shoot more poop.

Well what she didn't tell me was that she had a big gorilla of a husband. We then proceeded to kick the poop around and got drunk on what she said were 18 year old bottles of Blue Nun wine. It turns out that she is a Jailer over in Jean Nevada and he works for the Las Vegas sewer department where I found out you can fish for "Brown Trout" at the aeration pond.

They were very interested in this affiliate marketing thing and after the so called party, they kept calling me at all hours of the night wanting to know how to do things on their attempt of a website.

That was it, I could take no more. When I take a couple of sleeping pills just to close my eyes, I do not need idiots trying to learn about the poop I do.

I have now changed my house numbers to represent my phone number backwards, so those people that drive by can't figure out the address. And my phone is now forwarded to Haikos number so he can talk poop with them.

So the moral of the story is....

Make sure your pooper pot is clean when unexpected guests arrive.

Never read so much POOP before in my life...

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I got a marriage proposal (via email) from a guy in Saudi Arabia.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I got a marriage proposal (via email) from a guy in Saudi Arabia.
    I get "proposals" from the middle east via skype about once a week.... even set to invisible!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    No proposals for me, lol, what am I doing wrong?? I've heard way too many scary stories about online/offline stalkings, this is why I treat the doormen/security/maintenance people in my building like gods and goddesses.

When I had a bunch of guys in here during remodeling, maintenance guy stopped by, peeked in and said, "Just keeping an eye on ya, let me know if they try any tricky business!" Very sweet, odd, but sweet.

Good to know someone's watching my back.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Good to know someone's watching my back.
    Can someone - OTHER THAN ME - post the "required response"

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    No, Billy. I will not marry you. But thanks for making me feel like one of the girls!!

ABW Ambassador
    "When I had a bunch of guys in here during remodeling, maintenance guy stopped by, peeked in and said, "Just keeping an eye on ya, let me know if they try any tricky business!" Very sweet, odd, but sweet."

Who's watching those guys? I don't trust maintenance men. Had to go on an emergency trip overseas awhile back (death in the family) and one of them took some stuff from my apt. when I was gone. And then moving where I am now, someone moving out suspected they would break stuff while they were gone at work to have something to do. I'm sure most are just fine but they usually have keys to all the apts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast