Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Need More Traffic Than PPC Can Give
    Hi,

I have a maddening problem and would appreciate any suggestions. I have a comprehensive series of sites through which I sell embaressing medical products like adult diapers, etc...

I bid between $2.00 and $4.00 a click on MSN AdCenter, Yahoo Overture, Ad-Brite and Google Adwords and am in position 1 or 2 on all of those except Adwords which I set to put my ad in position 3 through 7 as testing has shown that to work best.

My ROI is incredible. I quit my regular job two months ago when I made enough to buy health insurance for a year in advance (that's what it took to convince my significant other).

My problem is, how do I squeeze more traffic out of my PPC marketing.

I have tried...

Increasing bids to crazy numbers like $25. Costs went up but conversions did not.

Milked the thousands of keywords by careful testing using tools in analytics.

Made multiple campaigns all containing the same ad groups/ad orders. This had no effect at all.

Should I try opening a second account at the various advertisers under a different name pointing to different pages with the same content? Is this against the TOS at all four ad networks that I use?

Some of the affiliate managers who frequent this forum have helped me to incorporate their shopping carts into my sites (thanks). Now they know who I am when they read this. If you guys and gals decide to reply to this, please don't give away too many of my secrets

Skidmarks...adult diapers, hmmm.
    I don't think a second account is allowed by Google, don't know about the others. I would think duplicate content would hurt your organic search rankings though.

So your going to have people clicking on both links costing you double more... where would the roi be there?
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    So your going to have people clicking on both links costing you double more... where would the roi be there?
    The more targeted traffic that I can get, the more I make. I feel like I've maxed out the amount of targeted traffic that I can get from the PPC engines. Started this thread to see if anyone can point out something that I haven't thought of.

and yes, now you all know why I choose muy name

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Diversify your business into another area - this is critical towards staying unemployed.

And work on your present PPC's CTR at G and M, your costs per click will go down and your profit will go up, like getting more milk from the same cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Diversify your business into another area - this is critical towards staying unemployed.

And work on your present PPC's CTR at G and M, your costs per click will go down and your profit will go up, like getting more milk from the same cow.
    Thanks Donuts. I am afraid that I have all of my eggs in one basket but it's sooooo easy. I've never had a $1000net day yet but I've come close quite a few times. I guess this thread is about me procrastinating instead of diversifying

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    When I got some panels of free listings a few years ago, cannibalization didn't kick in at just two. It eventually did, but I didn't notice any major difference in conversion ratio when I had 2 listings in the SERPs. But that's the FREE listings, so I wasn't picking nits about it.

With PPC, conversion ratio is much more important since the traffic is costing money, and therefore, I would expect the Law of Diminishing Returns to have a much more profound effect on profitability.

Quote Originally Posted by SkidMarks
    Should I try opening a second account at the various advertisers under a different name pointing to different pages with the same content? Is this against the TOS at all four ad networks that I use?
    Unfortunately, it's against the TOS of all the PPC engines I've worked with... you may find some exceptions at smaller engines, but probably all the majors have it disallowed.

Started this thread to see if anyone can point out something that I haven't thought of.
    On the slight off-chance you haven't thought of this, I'll mention it: Try your luck at cracking the Google free-listing algo...

Try your luck at cracking the Google free-listing algo...
    OMG!!! I never thought about Froogle. YES! That is exactly the kind of idea that I was searching for. Thank you Mr Leader.

Froogle?

Oh, I was actually thinking of just regular ol' Google, the one at www.google.com

But if Froogle got rid of its merchant-only rule, then what the heck, go for it, too! Although in my experience, Froogle doesn't send nearly as many hits as the main Google can...

How about hard copy advertising and newspaper classifieds?

Oh - and Googlebase. I have used Froogle feeds but not Googlebase, so I don't know much about it. Affiliates may not be eligible(??)

http and a telephoto
    Froogle info pages appear to all be pointing to GBase, so I see a switch coming in the future...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Froogle info pages appear to all be pointing to GBase, so I see a switch coming in the future...
    Hi Loxly

Me too. All roads I've found in Froogle lead me to GBase. I don't know if it's going to be a switch or more of a merge. I'm having fun at least digging through this stuff

What you have is easy money!

Don't waste time trying to squeeze extra $$ out of it!

Let it passively provide an income, and try 10 new things. Variations on a theme, perhaps...

Look for the big picture.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Don't act like a cannibal and eat the hand that feeds you within this narrow niche'. Understand you can only cherry pick so many sales as an affiliate. When you desire to cookie every sale of a particular product line offered for sale by just a few suppliers you eventually raise the hackles of the force that CAN BURY YOU when it comes to SEO & SEM activities. The merchant mentality then moves from seeking affiliates to one of cutting them out as middlemen by diversion tactics and commission less pre- & post sales activities.

Like the smart folks said. Move into other verticles and not let greed drive your ebiz plan. Next up you'll decide to cut that merchant's throat and push the competitor or find some drop shipper and become a direct competitor. Expect a pink slip on any earnings when they get a hint of that attitude. Your an advertising exposure paid by being a part of the sales process. Increase your value-add or become expendable when they analize where you inject yourself into the sales process.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Mr Leader
    You may want to edit the gender there

Like the smart folks said. Move into other verticles and not let greed drive your ebiz plan. Next up you'll decide to cut that merchant's throat and push the competitor or find some drop shipper and become a direct competitor. Expect a pink slip on any earnings when they get a hint of that attitude. Your an advertising exposure paid by being a part of the sales process. Increase your value-add or become expendable when they analize where you inject yourself into the sales process.
    I hear what you're saying. In the past, I have run various CPA programs VERY successfully and EVERY time I was forced out for various reasons (rarely accusatory) within two weeks only to see them start using my technique, sometimes to the exact text

I am into 'communicating' with the merchants that I represent and have as much a personal relationship with them all as I have a biz relationship with them. We're a big happy family making money together. This lessens my concern for the stability of the business model.

Quote:
    Mr Leader

You may want to edit the gender there
    YIKES! Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by enginez
    What you have is easy money!

Don't waste time trying to squeeze extra $$ out of it!

Let it passively provide an income, and try 10 new things. Variations on a theme, perhaps...

Look for the big picture.
    Believe me Enginez, there was nothing "easy" about it
    I worked very hard and continue to do so. I didn't just throw up a page and make some ads like so many do. I planned this and put all of my ducks in line before going live.

Quote Originally Posted by EcomCity
    Next up you'll decide to cut that merchant's throat and push the competitor or find some drop shipper and become a direct competitor.
    Aagh...so many ASSumptions.

People don't just go and promote competitors, or become competitors, for no good reason. Often the merchant has pulled some rot, and tried to take advantage of the affiliate! When that happens, then hell yeah, there's going to be blowback, and to the best of the affiliate's ability. If that can go all the way to direct competiton, then it may indeed be taken that far.

And, what's this bit about a drop-shipper?! Is that part of your comment coming from Charlie typing with his used sunflower seeds again? It's groundless, and shows factory-worker mentality. (Factory workers all seem to think that it takes some Godlike Ability to actually be the business and that nobody they know could possibly be one *groans*...)

Drop-shipping may be fine for some, but there is certainly no need for one. Personally I wouldn't prefer it. One of the points of selling my own stuff is to have my mitts on the wheel.
    Last edited by Leader; September 10th, 2006 at 03:54 PM.

Internet Cowboy
    Skidmarks,
    The best advice you have gotten here is to diversify. Leave your existing campaigns alone after you tweak them for increased CTR as Donuts suggested, then head in a different direction.
    Take it from someone who has experienced $0 to $1000 a day in a hurry, then back to $0 just as fast. Diversify your offerings as well as your promotional methods. The only real enemy in this business is a reliance on one merchant or promotional method.

I may have made a mistake by posting so much here.

For the past two days, I have been innundated with emails and even phone calls, the vast majority of which are in very broken english asking me to help them build a website like mine. Many have very sad stories of hardships.

How they found me through this posting, I will never know, as each has a different story when I ask but all have admitted to seeing this thread at ABW.I think that someone posted my info in Asia somewhere.

When I first signed up here, I goofed around and lurked for awhile to get a sense of how to properly discuss my situation. I noticed though that there are more affiliate marketers in this forum that are honest about what exactly they do than on most affiliate forums. There are plenty of teachers here also. Teachers have a gazillion posts but never provide any evidence that they actually practice what they preach. You know the saying "Those who can't do, teach." But now I am rethinking this. The teachers may be people like me who have tried being open only to be accosted by a crowd of panhandlers who very persistently write and call. Lesson learned.

UGH!

Be careful what you post.

Be careful what you post.
    This is the truth and to and be careful w/whom you IM or PMing there are ALOT of vultures out there trying to get their mitts on YOUR hard earned "easy" money.

Like others have said on this forum DIVERSIFY as much as you can. Maybe the market your earning from right now is saturated...

How is your organic traffic? If your relying just on PPC and your organic listings are low then do more SEO'ing...build links in, directory submissions, articles, etc.... It takes a few months to get up there but its free and you can hire others to do the work for you fairly reasonably. (caveat - Only hire trusted freelancers w/good reputations.)
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

SkidMarks,

I am sure you haven't disclosed too much ( I am still trying to work out the how - not the product ! ), because whatever you have done to be successful surely is transferable to other products and merchants. It is the method of implementation not the product that is your key to success?

Good luck but don't give your niche away in the next incarnation.

Susan
    :Todd:

I dont think you disclosed too much, I can't imagine how folks tracked you down...
    Keep your big secrets close. Now everyone knows why affiliates don't like to give out their url, niche products, PPC strategies...too many out there looking to take your stuff away from you, or getr it for free!

Back in 1996-1999, when everyone was trying to make money by creating an Internet Company, there were many business plans that showed how growth would continue:
    100 million internet users by 1997,
    200 million by 1998,
    400 million by 1999,
    800 million by 2000,
    1.5 billion in 2001,
    3 billion in 2002,
    6 billion in 2003,
    12 billion in 2004,
    20 billion in 2005, etc.

Hopefully, you see the key flaw here: there aren't that many people on the planet. Even if there were 20 billion people here, the move from 10% market share to 20% is much easier (not "easy" but "easier") than the move from 40% to 80% market share.

OK, nobody was quite that absurd, though a few came pretty close.

The key, really, is to identify your "market" and try to determine what share you hold. If you are capturing only 10% of the online sales driven by online searches for this product category, then there could be room left to grow to 15% or even 20%. But if you are already presenting your offer to 50% or 80% of your target audience, then growth is going to be much harder within this category and marketplace.

There are a relatively fixed number of people out there who need to buy "embarassing products like adult diapers." That number might grow each year, but we all hope it won't double any time soon. If you are doing a good job of presenting your offer through Google AdWords (both PPC Search and content sites), you may well have tapped out the market that you can reach.

There are other strategies to expand your market share, but all would have higher costs and lower returns. As others have suggested, it seems logical to take the know-how you've developed and expand into new merchants and merchandise areas -- either expanding into "related" areas or perhaps identifying unrelated product niches to exploit.

ABW Ambassador
    "Back in 1996-1999, when everyone was trying to make money by creating an Internet Company, there were many business plans that showed how growth would continue:
    100 million internet users by 1997,
    200 million by 1998,
    400 million by 1999,
    800 million by 2000,
    1.5 billion in 2001,
    3 billion in 2002,
    6 billion in 2003,
    12 billion in 2004,
    20 billion in 2005, etc. "

We have cracked 1 billion worldwide internet users.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast