html vs. htm
    Many of my previous web pages were saved as .htm

Now I am creating a block of pages saved under .html

My previous pages [saved as .htm] can be found in search engines.

What should I do?
    • Create individual re-directs so that an .htm page will "carry" the visitor over to the correlating .html page?
    • Create static pages [as .htm] that give the link to the new pages [saved as .html]?
    • Build new content/structure/pages and same them as .htm if a previous page with the same type of content has already been saved as .htm and is ranked in Google & other SEs?
    • Will people be confused by .htm and .html pages within the site?

Thanks in advance.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Why did you change the extensions?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Why did you change the extensions?
    It started to happen automatically -- I didn't realize it until I had made a batch of pages
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Can't you just as automatically change it back?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Can't you just as automatically change it back?
    The problem is:

main.html already exists

somehow halloween.htm became a part of main.html

I seem to have a bunch of pre-existing .html and .htm pages

I know this sounds silly -- but it's true

The other pages that are part of main.html all have .html extensions

I was thinking I'd like to give all the pages that are part of the "main.html site" an .html extension. Unfortunately some of my popular pages have .htm extensions.

If I were to compensate by linking to every page of my site from some navigation scheme would that work?

I was thinking of somehow making a shift to .html for the "main site."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

The problem is within one site there are .htm and .html pages established (i.e. indexed & ranked by SEs) and I am thinking of giving any additional pages .html extensions.

I just wonder if the extension mix will confuse my visitors & wonder what steps I should take to correct the "problem"?

Although the mix of extensions is a minor problem (in comparison to other problems) visitors can be confused -- so do I create quasi pages on the existing?

I don't think search engines favor re-directs?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia although it is probably wrong I also have this problem and I dont care as both of the pages are indexed. I have bigger fish to fry but I would love to read about what others would do here.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I just wonder if the extension mix will confuse my visitors & wonder what steps I should take to correct the "problem"?
    I don't think anyone would be confused, or even care.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got a similar issue on some of my sites. Some of my pages are .html and some are .shtml.

Like NY Falcon, I just leave 'em as is, as long as they can all be navigated to.
    I can't see any point in changing them, and many negatives. Negative effects would include messing up existing SE ranks, and killing old links (that are on other sites) to your individual pages. Also, any old bookmarks would go dead.

As for your visitors, they shouldn't really care about the differing extensions, especially if the setup has been around long enough to have gotten SE rank (that tells me you've had it that way for a while). And, if they've memorized the current extension, what would actually confuse them is if that extension was changed on them.

ABW Ambassador
    I stay consistent with file extension on sites, but if there was a mixture the one who would get most confused would be me because 99% of the time I use absolute URLs in site linking rather than relative, so I'd have to keep checking which is which for changes, additions and doing intrasite linking.

Thanks to everyone for the responses

I was working on replacement/updated pages and I said to myself, "Oh heck! The extensions are not consistent."
    (I noticed they've been that way for a while)

I was curious as to what your responses would be
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I would be much more concerned with which extension was on the index page of a site. .html gets treated better by your server than .htm, if I remember right. (well, the first will replace the second)

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    I would be much more concerned with which extension was on the index page of a site. .html gets treated better by your server than .htm, if I remember right. (well, the first will replace the second)
    The main index is .html (the site in discussion)
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'm curious, also, about the potential affect of changing the extension of a Web page.

I do know, though, that changing an included dash in a page name to an included underscore sets your page far back in the SERPS for a while. Not to mention the SE's still try to crawl the prior named version which is a waste.

ABW Ambassador
    I do know, though, that changing an included dash in a page name to an included underscore sets your page far back in the SERPS for a while.
    Changing the filename or the extension makes it an entirely new page as far as the engines are concerned.

Not to mention the SE's still try to crawl the prior named version which is a waste.
    And they also tend to keep the old page in the index, even if there's a 301 to the new page.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Changing the filename or the extension makes it an entirely new page as far as the engines are concerned.
    Yes.

I've read that SEs don't always rank re-directs well.

I was thinking of doing a redirect like this one:

http://www.macalester.edu/its/docs/howto/urlredirect/

but I am afraid of rocking the "ranking" (boat) so to speak
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I've read that SEs don't always rank re-directs well.
    I've had zero problems with changing over hundreds of extensions, from .shtm to .php or from .htm to .php. Use a 301 redirect, remove the original page entirely from the server, and you should be good to go.

Also, why use .htm or .html extensions? Use a .php extension instead. Even if you don't use any dynamic content on your sites now, by using a .php extension now you avoid having to change stuff later down the line if you decide to go dynamic. There is no advantage of using .html or .htm over .php for static content.

ABW Ambassador
    I use .html or .htm on sites and simply do an entry in .htacess so that they'll be parsed for php. Easy as pie.

I was thinking of doing a redirect like this one:

http://www.macalester.edu/its/docs/howto/urlredirect/

but I am afraid of rocking the "ranking" (boat) so to speak
    That is absolutely the WORST way to do redirects; search engine crawlers do not deal with browser-side meta-refresh. If anything you have to use a 301 redirect with mod_rewrite in .htaccess, and for one thing, Yahoo! Search is NOT currently dealing properly with those. I'm not making it up, I'm speaking from experience with pages that are currently putting out strange Yahoo results for pages with redirects using 301 - which is the safest, best way possible.

Added:

Easy-peasy server-side redirection for the technically challenged

http://www.webmasterwoman.com/design...web-pages.html

Permanent (or 301) is the only way to do redirects for pages that have moved to a different location, file extension or filename - it's what's recommended by the engines, and they'll deal with those far better than other kinds, even though there can still be problems.
    Last edited by webworker; September 11th, 2006 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimh009
    I've had zero problems with changing over hundreds of extensions, from .shtm to .php or from .htm to .php. Use a 301 redirect, remove the original page entirely from the server, and you should be good to go.
    I don't knnow what a 301 redirect is or how to create one.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I don't knnow what a 301 redirect is or how to create one.
    That's the reason for the link in the previous post:

There are several reasons to redirect webpages:
    1. The page has been moved to a different location with a different file name or file extension
    2. The page no longer exists or is no longer functional and we want to send incoming that may come from links, search engines or bookmarks to another page.
    Remember that there are two types of redirects:

• Permanent redirection: 301 Redirect
    • Temporary redirection: 302 Redirect:
    If we don't want visitors at that former page location, a permanent redirect will avoid them getting a 404 error.
    The code for redirecting individual pages is right on that page linked to, else, look up the Apafche documentation for wildcard redirection.

But you can leave it all just like it is with no harm done, and just be consistent with filenames and extensions from here on, going forward.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread