Another way to check for spyware?
    Hi

I run Zone Alarm on my computer.

Is there another method of checking for adware/spyware/trojans/worms/whatever that I should check out just to be safe?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

There have been 2 separate times [separated by time, my first encounter was "documented" here as can still be seen in a previous post but Haiko assured me that I would never pick up anything from ABW -- I am not blaming ABW -- it's just that I "picked up the problem" somewhere and it manifests itself when I try to type ' -- an apostrophe] where I tried to post something with an apostrophe in my post (') but I encountered difficulty submitting the post.

I'm not sure where I "picked up the 'friend'" but when this problem occurs a reddish/pink bar will appear at the bottom of my screen [and my words that I wish to include in my post will appear in the pink bar as if it is an "auxilliary word processing program."]
    It has gone now but it may be dormant and "breeding."

What other programs do people use? I prefer free downloads from places like CNET. I have a limited budget for computer items and anti-spyware/security packages.

I used to have some free programs (I think one was called Spybot Search & Destroy and another was called something else) but the programs did not seem to run smoothly once I installed Zone Alarm -- so I uninstalled the other programs.

Good thing that judge who dismissed the Zango case has an unlisted telephone number
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 11th, 2006 at 01:07 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I have a limited budget for computer items and anti-spyware/security packages. I used to have some free programs (I think one was called Spybot Search & Destroy and another was called something else) but the programs did not seem to run smoothly once I installed Zone Alarm -- so I uninstalled the other programs.
    Protection of one's system is a mission critical expense, and is cheap enough. If someone can't afford essential software protection, maybe they need to re-examine their business model - including their unfounded FEAR of Adsense, which is putting a lot of steady revenue in a lot of people's pockets.

Good thing that judge who dismissed the Zango case has an unlisted telephone number
    Ya, that Zango thread that got started got seriously hijacked with extraneous issues, didn't it? Maybe someone should post and try to get it back on track to cover the important issues rather than inconsequential side topics and off-topic, editorially tainted links that were posted, that have sidetracked the actual importance of the thread.

People really should not post links unless they have read the articles that were previously posted and linked to, and also have read the articles they're linking to. Vacuous posts for the sake of just doing posts and dropping links really don't benefit anyone, and do have a tendency to irritate those who spot it being done.
    Last edited by webworker; September 11th, 2006 at 03:48 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Added:

Vacuous posts for the sake of just doing posts and dropping links really don't benefit anyone, and do have a tendency to irritate those who spot it being done.
    Sad but true, and all too often done. Not that some of us don't understand the psychology of why it's being done by any given person in the first place (because we DO), but unfortunately it has a tendency to wreck important threads in order to to accomplish sometimes neurotic personal agendas and cravings for attention.

Moving right along and gettng back on topic, Yahoo's new anti-spyware app (from Norton and free) that's included with their newest toolbar build is absolutely awesome. It caught two malware apps immediately upon installing and running it - trojans that had capability of remotely controlling a computer without the owner's knowledge of it's installation and/or presence.

If anyone is afraid to install it, then they need to either deal with their fear issues or pay for an equivalent application. If anyone is incapable of doing either, then we surely can't help them here. We're an affiliate/webmaster forum, not a mental health clinic.
    Last edited by webworker; September 11th, 2006 at 04:12 AM.

I like making Vacuous posts so here is one. And, don't tell me what to do! You ain't my mother, you know! I am in the defiant-aggressive mode of my illness, today. So, get bent! And, nyaaaah on you. And, may your kittens staunchly refuse all but the most expensive cat food and may all your puppies flunk out of obedience training after you pay for new carpets. (Jk!)

And, I need another tool bar like I need to be shot. I don't mind having my computer checked...I would like that. But, another tool bar? ...Gees. If I had all the tool bars that were supposed to do me some good up and running, there would be no room on my screen to even see the pages!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I like making Vacuous posts
    Ahh.. but you are a long way off from setting the world's record for vacuous posts, that would take a lot of catching up to overtake the lead.

And, don't tell me what to do! You ain't my mother, you know!
    Nobody had YOU in mind at all, so nobody is telling YOU what to do. It wasn't YOU who asked, the OP specifically asked what they could do and they got an answer.

Very simple, someone can use the free software that's out there or they can pay for software to get or keep their computers clean. And as for toolbars, they can be either used or disabled at will, so they're only *on* when wanted - otherwise, there's no sign of them.

Personally, I use two toolbars all day every day for loads of things so it's nothing extra for me. This feature is just an added benefit that Yahoo added at no charge that saved my butt big time last week from two driveby_installed apps that were keystroke loggers and could have "taken over" the computer.

Good deal for me, I get features and benefits that I use all the time and find useful, and any data I may send back is inconsequential because I'm not important enough for it to mean anything to them.

So, get bent! And, nyaaaah on you. And, may your kittens staunchly refuse all but the most expensive cat food and may all your puppies flunk out of obedience training after you pay for new carpets. (Jk!)
    Never did have puppies, but had a feline houseguest who like to use the dining room floor as her catbox and who I spoiled lavishly with her fave catfood.

It was my daughter's cat I had in foster care, and she took the kitty to the vet over her potty behavior and her nasty habit of vicously atacking male cats. He said the darling had deep-seated emotional problems that were rooted in her early beginnings. Her momma was a barn cat and her daddy was a stray.

I know, I know - it reads like a country and western song but it's the truth, and even worse the sweet kitty was born in Texas. Now if only somene would come out with an affiliate program for Catzac, we'd be off and running!
    Last edited by webworker; September 11th, 2006 at 10:53 AM.

Webworker, your advice for just about anything would be the last that I would follow.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Webworker, your advice for just about anything would be the last that I would follow.
    So what do I care if you go pay Norton $69.99 for the protection? You're the one with garbage on your computer, not me - I got rid of the garbage for FREE within the hour it invaded and I'm clean as a whistle.

Nobody has to spend their time giving you any advice, lady, they can just put you on ignore and you can do what you want with your computer. Your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Ahh.. but you are a long way off from setting the world's record for vacuous posts, that would take a lot of catching up to overtake the lead.
    Well, at least, I try!

In fact, some people say I am VERY trying!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    In fact, some people say I am VERY trying!
    Nah, you just speak what's on your mind

Since this is a public forum and a public thread, for anyone else happening on the thread who cares to read up on some computer security information and tips (other than the OP, of course), this is a pretty decent recap of some basics

Yahoo Security Center

ABW Ambassador
    I use Spybot and Ad-Aware that I run about once a month for adware. Free.

I use the Windows firewall.

And for anti-virus I use the free AVG Free Edition you can get at download.com (or other places) Every morning at 8AM it connects, downloads the newest definitions, checks my system and takes care of business.

http and a telephoto
    Now if only somene would come out with an affiliate program for Catzac, we'd be off and running!
    (makes a note...)

I only have the G toolbar at the moment, if Yahoo has an advantage that I didn't know about, I will take a look at it and install it. I have to go to some sites these days that are a bit scary...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I use Spybot and Ad-Aware that I run about once a month for adware. Free.

I use the Windows firewall. And for anti-virus I use the free AVG Free Edition
    Same here, but I use avast free virus protection.

Just because you pay for something, does'nt mean its better. The last AV I bought Would Not run correctly on my computer. (even after reformatting the harddrive, contacting support, etc.)!
    Money wasted, and from a well known co. too.

ABW Ambassador
    if Yahoo has an advantage that I didn't know about, I will take a look at it and install it. I have to go to some sites these days that are a bit scary...
    Me too, in the course of the day. The other anti-spyware they had at first was very quick, but the new Norton that they include is very thorough. I've got the freebie, not the other Norton thing on the page that costs.

http://toolbar.yahoo.com/ie

I use them as ISP (actually now AT&T) and to keep spam mail and junk off my computer I use it web-based so the TB is good for me in that respect. I also *love* My Web (not the new beta, the original which has folders) to save whole web pages rather than just bookmarks. It's also got sharing capability which I don't use, but some people do

http://myweb.yahoo.com/

Microsoft also has a free anti-spyware tool for download, and it's caught a couple of things that Ad-aware and Spybot missed.

Windows Defender

It isn't a bad idea to run more than one if there's a problem.

(makes a note...)
    LOL. I can see it now - Catzac coffee mugs.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    LOL. I can see it now - Catzac coffee mugs.
    Dang, I hadn't thought of that!!!! (makes ANOTHER note....)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Free is often better
    I run Norton full security sytem including anti-spyware which I paid for ( ! ) .

When I do a full system scan it tells me I am clean as a whistle - then I run Spybot (free)and pick up some nasties ( and delete) and then I run Ad-aware ( free) and pick up ( and delete) some more .

When my Norton subscription runs out I will use AVG free - I had it running before but when I bought Norton had to remove it because it was incompatible. I wasn't sure how reliable it was - but it certainly can't be less useful than Norton. If you have the Norton system don't rely on it alone ( no one asked for my advice but I like to hear the sound of my voice - or er, key strokes )
    Last edited by begabloomers; September 11th, 2006 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    :Todd:

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Keystroke Appreciation
    Your keystrokes sound good Bega - and what you said makes sense. One thing is always sure here: no one here has to ask for advice in order to receive plenty of it!!

Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have run Zone Alarm for probably 5 years now. Got McAfee with my Comcast cable modem account but had to go find it. Both McAfee and Norton slow the computer down unless you have lots of RAM. AVG used to offer a free anti-virus but I think they charge now.

I use Spyware Doctor, it's very well-reviewed by PC magazine for the last few years.

I also run Norton antivirus, but it never seems to find anything while SD often does.
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

ABW Ambassador
    "AVG used to offer a free anti-virus but I think they charge now."

Nope, still free. It was recommended to me when I was looking for one and I recommend it myself:

"AVG Free is available free of charge to home users for the life of the product."

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    I have run Zone Alarm for probably 5 years now. Got McAfee with my Comcast cable modem account but had to go find it. Both McAfee and Norton slow the computer down unless you have lots of RAM. AVG used to offer a free anti-virus but I think they charge now.
    Chuck, do you find Zone Alarm sufficient?

That's what I am using now but sometimes I wonder if there are other programs I should use that would coexist nicely with Zone Alarm?
    For the most part I think Zone Alarm does okay but I was personally alarmed by what I describe in my initial entry of this thread.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread -- post on
    We all appreciate your experiences with computer security.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia,

I use Adaware, Spybot on my machines weekly to rid myself of spyware. I just used Microsofts Defender program on my dads PC because he had a nasty spyware that nothing else could remove.

It seemed to work quite well

All of them are free.

Good luck, I feel your pain
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Purple]Les[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Affiliate Manager
    [URL=http://www.spookshop.com]www.spookshop.com[/URL]
    [EMAIL=les@spookshop.com]les@spookshop.com[/EMAIL]

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread