http and a telephoto
    Driveway drive by spam...
    Went out to go for a drive tonight and there was JUNK (mail? spam?) in the driveway! Never experienced that in Rochester or even in Queens... It was an ad filled magazine with Hoodia promos rubberbanded to it.... lol.... Only in Las Vegas?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Welcome to the world of Fred.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Tax Paying Member
    I have to clean my driveway about once each week. It is illegal for the distributors to place it in the mail box, but not illegal to toss the crap in the driveway.

Isn't there a law about littering the highway???
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

http and a telephoto
    That's what I thought, I know they can't put things in the mailbox, back in NY they would get the hang bags and put them on the front door. Tossing crap into the driveway... that's rude! What if I was away for a few days (and frequently may be)... it could get quite messy and who gets blamed for that? Me for not keeping it picked up? Or the tossers that fly by flinging out the crap from their cars in the night? And it's a gated community, shouldn't these types be unable to get in?

I just have to laugh, and yet, I don't....
    Deborah Carney

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You mean other places DON'T normally get crap of any kind delivered in the driveway?!

The ad-books you speak of *usually* are mailed, but not always. And hanging single-page flyers on the mailbox flag (rural mailboxes) is the standard.

But here, the free newspapers are always dumped there. That's the regular free weekly, and any free promo subscriptions the others give out to pump up their circulation numbers.

And some PAID ones come that way! Even the WSJ tried delivering my papers that way (meaning that if it rained or sn*wed the thing would get saturated and wrecked), and I had to vehemently b*tch for them to do it differently. I told them I wasn't paying around $1/ish to have it dumped out there in the rain and snow and get driven over like the free local rag!! Grrr!!!

it could get quite messy and who gets blamed for that? Me for not keeping it picked up?
    Yeppers...
    Just don't worry about it. When you're gone, you're gone--the neighbors'll eventually learn to deal.

Papers piling up does make it fairly obvious that you're not there, if you normally pick them up all the time. Depending on your neighborhood, that could be a security risk.
    Of course, the way around that is to NOT normally pick 'em up all the time. Pick 'em up on a random schedule, whether you're there or not. Then nobody can tell wtf is going on (or not going on)

And it's a gated community, shouldn't these types be unable to get in?
    Depends on the gate, and whether there's a gateman...

When I delivered pizzas, I found that most "gated communities" really have NO gateman, and don't ever bother to actually close the gates, so you can just drive right in. Or it's automated, and you can just swerve around the pole if you've got a small enough car. And then there's the places with an actual manned gatehouse, but the guy just lets everyone in without question.

(Also, the delivery person may actually be living there! Then they'd HAVE TO let him/her in!)

I'd suggest complaining to the management if the paper-spammers are getting past a manned gatehouse.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Internet Cowboy
    I get tons of it. Free papers, ad books, avon packets, even a small foam football once. I pick up something out of the driveway most every day.

Cool
    Back here in Central New York State, we're so obviously poor that no advertiser would think of spending money on literature to lay on our front steps.

That does not include certain religions, however.

http and a telephoto
    Interesting notes... I didn't realize littering driveways was common

And no, there is no "gate man". However there is no "pole" to drive around, you really can't get in without a gate code. But I am sure the delivery people find one.

Guess I will just learn to deal with it and hope no one notices when stuff piles up. The funny thing is, I had been leaving the car in the driveway and no one tossed crap in the driveway, but I started parking in the garage, and thats when they started tossing stuff. Not sure how long the house was empty before I moved in, maybe it took them a week or two to catch on that someone is living here (How long have I been here? lol)
    Deborah Carney

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    it is common in louisiana, florida..
    not sure about TX cos i stayed at an Apt.

They rubberband things to my doorknob, tuck them in the screen door, and my favorite, they drop envelopes upside down under the mailbox. So I have to pick them up and look to be sure they aren't something real.

And of coure they toss things on the driveway.

I always hire a neighbor kid to come by every day and clean it up when I'm away.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Not to hijack the thread.
    I was talking to somebody at the orlando aff summit.

One of the marketers there did some handing out of home fliers/ads. He mentioned that if he would to put them nicely in the mailbox/door, he would get a low response as opposed to crushing or folding the flier up. He usually get a higher response that way..

Do you guys remember the campaign from a couple of years ago when that guy saved all the "FREE TRIAL" discs from AOL and then mailed 'em all back to them?

Loxly maybe you should save your driveway junk mail and do that to whomever is messing up your front yard!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

http and a telephoto
    The reason it took me by surprize and I am calling it "spam" is because it is obviously lazy guys looking for a cheap easy way to distribute junk. They don't pay to mail it, they don't take the time to put it on the door, they just drive by and toss it without regard for if it's wanted or not.

I would give it back if I knew who to give it to At least with the AOL disks you knew where they were coming from!
    Deborah Carney

Pick an advertiser or two and send it to them with a letter of complaint. If the advertisers feel people do not like it, they won't buy the ads that support the mess makers.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

At least with the AOL disks you knew where they were coming from!
    At least with the AOL disks you can, throw out the disk and keep some of those empty CD cases, in case you have some naked CD's of your own around.

I already have used about 20 of those empty AOL disks CD cases for some of my rewriteables CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    At least with the AOL disks you can, throw out the disk and keep some of those empty CD cases, in case you have some naked CD's of your own around.

I already have used about 20 of those empty AOL disks CD cases for some of my rewriteables CD's.

~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I miss the AOL DVD cases... I kept quite a few of those for when I'd buy DVDs on eBay that didn't have cases & then I'd get other people to scan and email me the cover artwork so I could print them out and have a case that looks similar to the original
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal

I hang those AOL coasters in the trees around my koi ponds. The sun reflections scare away the blue herons that fly over looking for lunch.

The big driveway spammers here are the Denver Post and Rocky Mtn. News. I figured that I pay about $2.75 per month for the trash service to haul them off. Maybe I should send them a bill.
    ~Ernie

[QUOTE=erninator]I hang those AOL coasters in the trees around my koi ponds. The sun reflections scare away the blue herons that fly over looking for lunch. QUOTE]

So thats what that does!! The neighbors next door to my parents have those things ALL over their yard... AND they do have quite a garden and pond retreat in their backyard! I can't believe I never figured out why. I just thought maybe they thought they were "pretty" when the sun reflected....

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread