Edit Make-a-Page Results for XHTML?
    I notice when I "request a specific product link" with SAS (i.e. I get to see all of their product links but not in any special arrangements or specified order) the outcome will be a variety of product links in a variety of sizes including html and xhtml links (I am happy with the outcome).
    The only problem is that it takes a long time for me to see these (I am on dial-up).

I notice that Make-a-Page results download more quickly and are more targeted but are only written as html.

I am currently building pages around this DOCTYPE:
    [!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"]

replace [ with < (otherwise the DOCTYPE won't show up here)

If you were using the above DOCTYPE and you were using Make-a-Page, would you just place the html links (Make-a-Page results) on your page or would you edit the links to be XHTML compliant?

Thanks in advance
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

No one else deals with this?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

If you were using the above DOCTYPE and you were using Make-a-Page, would you just place the html links (Make-a-Page results) on your page or would you edit the links to be XHTML compliant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Not me!

When I was using Make-a-Page before, I just copied the the Table with the products and pasted that Table on my own page.

Why?

Well, if you're not using your own CCS on your pages, then it will be ok to copy and paste the entire SAS Make-a-Page code on your pages, but if you already have some of you own code there and paste the whole thing, then you will lose whatever you had there before.

ABW Ambassador
    The code would all have to be edited to conform to the W3C XHTML Specifications and if it were all XHTML in the SAS coding the pages could have a problem being parsed on users' pages with other Doctype declarations, which is probably in the high 90's percentage of affiliates.

Here's an XHTML discussion at WebmasterWorld

Just one of the differences is that CSS can't be used inline with the new specs, it has to be in linked CSS documents - which isn't how the Makeapage currently works. How it is now is easily modifiable for those who want to, but what's put out now is probably usable as-is for most affiliates who use the code it generates.

Mr. Sal
    Well, if you're not using your own CCS on your pages, then it will be ok to copy and paste the entire SAS Make-a-Page code on your pages, but if you already have some of you own code there and paste the whole thing, then you will lose whatever you had there before.
    Right, that's how the cascade works. Exactly why it's workable with the garden variety HTML/CSS code, Mr. S.

Right now all people have to do who do use linked CSS is remove the style designation and inline CSS - all in all it takes about 10 seconds in the tool and a quick find and replace in DW for the stylenames in the tables. Others can use it as is without any modifying, else they'd have to put it in by hand.

And there could be parsing issues with HTML 4 or no doctype declared if there aren't the usual closing tags. So it's currently got the flexibility for all to use.
    Last edited by webworker; September 13th, 2006 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Typo

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I guess not, but really do admire your efforts to modernize code to current recommendations. However, I (like many, I'd guess) remain a Code Slob and have been known to put in font tags when wanting to make a certain passage or links in a different color or font style, and so have to stay with HTML 4 (Loose) as a doctype.

This is more of a coding issue than a makeapage/SAS issue, and yes, you will have to re-code to XHTML to conform to standards if you're looking to validate pages, but it isn't the worst thing, because you can customize some of the anchor text on the Makeapage text links, customize the alt text for images locally, and also edit out the "ugly" products that are sometimes included by the merchants. Sometimes their stuff is kind of so pages can be made faster and leaner by filtering them out.

I wracked my brain trying to remember and went a-hunting, and finally found what may just do the trick for you! It's an HTML/CSS editor that I believe is still FREE that supports all coding standards, and I believe it can convert page code to XHTML by running it through, either as a built-in feature or with a plug-in. You'll have to check it out if you wish, I barely remember it's been so long since I downloaded and used it (on my old machine).

HTML Kit

If you try it out, how about posting your findings, in case others are wanting the same capability and functionality.

Right now all people have to do who do use linked CSS is remove the style designation and inline CSS - all in all it takes about 10 seconds in the tool and a quick find and replace in DW for the stylenames in the tables. Others can use it as is without any modifying, else they'd have to put it in by hand.
    That is exactly what I do when I get the SAS Make-a-Page tables.

I'm glad no one noticed my 2 AM. typo: I typed CCS instead of CSS.

ABW Ambassador
    That is exactly what I do when I get the SAS Make-a-Page tables.
    Me too, Mr. Sal. But if someone is using XHTML then they have to change the code if they want their pages to validate - and I'd assume that anyone using XHTML has that goal in mind, else why would they go through the effort to change their sites. They'd also need to, to make sure parsing is done according to their declared doctype.

I'm glad no one noticed my 2 AM. typo: I typed CCS instead of CSS.
    I did, but we get very used to typos after a while and usually know what's meant anyway.

Talking
    Thanks to everyone for the responses

I create my own CSS, I don't use SAS's CSS so when I get results from a Make-A-Page query, I isolate the links and edit/do away with the other stuff.

I know that the Make-a-Page links are straight HTML.

Depending on the time I have given for the page[s] I am working on, I might hand edit them for XHTML compliance but I was wondering what would happen if I didn't? Or is there a benefit to analyzing links with a fine tooth comb in order to edit them or not?

I own a huge XHTML book so I might as well put it to use.

Maybe I'll treat it like the placebo method of research: some pages get the XHTML editing and some do not
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    ... but if you already have some of you own code there and paste the whole thing, then you will lose whatever you had there before.

Not if you're link picking!

I use Make-a-Page to get a variety of products -- the more the better.

I never use the page that is generated. I pick out the links to the individual products (I delete the other junk I don't use) -- and I am wondering if I should spend the energy of changing those links to be XHTML compatible? I wonder if it would make a difference given the DOC Type described in my initial post?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread