Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Surprise: Shareasale blocking new affiliate signups on 9/11
    Did I miss something here? I don't recall seeing any kind of warning that SaS would "turn away" affiliates who sought to enroll in our affiliate program on Monday, September 11.

I certainly respect Shareasale's decision to close its office in remembrance of the September 11 tragedy, but I was astonished to find the extraordinary "closed" message (not just at the home page, but along all login paths) on the Shareasale.com web site, because:

(1) I just spent the entire weekend identifying affiliate-prospect web sites and sending nearly 200 individually-crafted "affiliate recruitment" emails, knowing that many will be read on Monday morning, but

(2) ShareASale has DISABLED THE SIGNUP PROCESS for new affiliates, and created an "obstable page" to dissuade existing SaS affiliates from logging in to join any new merchant programs, on Monday, September 11. New prospective affiliates who submit a new user name and password are simply bounced to the "closed" page.

While I certainly respect Shareasale's decision to close your offices and to call attention to the remembrance of this tragedy, I am very disappointed about the company's lack of warning to its customers and affiliates, and its implementation of unique new obstacles.

Had I been alerted to this "unique plan of remembrance," I would have spent the weekend doing other work, and rescheduled the recruitment activity for later in the week. It seems inevitable that some of my "recruits" will attempt to sign up during the next 24 hours, but will never return after being turned away. No, it's not a fatal blow to my affiliate program, but it's very annoying, distracting, and disrespectful.
    Last edited by markwelch; September 11th, 2006 at 01:09 AM.

Certainly does look like an unusual way of marking the occassion to me. At the very least, there should have been warning...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch

While I certainly respect Shareasale's decision to close your offices and to call attention to the remembrance of this tragedy, I am very disappointed about the company's lack of warning to its customers and affiliates, and its implementation of unique new obstacles.

Had I been alerted to this "unique plan of remembrance," I would have spent the weekend doing other work, and rescheduled the recruitment activity for later in the week. It seems inevitable that some of my "recruits" will attempt to sign up during the next 24 hours, but will never return after being turned away. No, it's not a fatal blow to my affiliate program, but it's very annoying, distracting, and disrespectful.
    lack of warning to its customers and affiliates?

I wonder if the people on the WTC had any warning before the tragic event.

One thing would be if you didn't like the idea of Shareasale's decision to close tomorrow in remembrance of the 911 tragedy, because you had made plans to spent the entire weekend identifying affiliate-prospect web sites and sending nearly 200 individually-crafted "affiliate recruitment" emails, but to come here and publicly bash Shareasale for their honorable decision, that sure is very annoying, distracting, and disrespectful on your part.

Had I been alerted to this "unique plan of remembrance," I would have spent the weekend doing other work,

Like what? Fixing your datafeed before wasting your time on new "affiliate recruitment" emails?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    lack of warning to its customers and affiliates?

I wonder if the people on the WTC had any warning before the tragic event.
    It doesn't seem to me that following the example set by terrorists would be a good idea...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

I don't know that I would equate Shareasales actions with that of the terrorist, the thought is nice, but people will still be shopping and I will still be "working" on my sites and it is going to set me behind working on shareasale merchants links/products, at least for today.

I think that shareasale could have warned their customers...........before they did that........so if someone who would have liked to spend the time working on their affiliate work would have been able to make other plans rather than sitting at home doing nothing because they planned to work something else.

@Mr. Sal and honourable decision is one that harms nobody. Shareasale did waste Markwelchs time. Im sure its honourable and people all around the world can keep shutting shop as there are a lot of bomb blasts and terrorists attacks world wide.

So why dont u shut shop in honour of all of them as we are all just one, earthlings as a matter of fact. Since shareasale is used all over the world on the internet they should also respect every countries sentiments and shut shop on days like 9/11 that have happened all around the world. why restrict yourself to terror attacks around the usa when the whole world s suffering them? Or is your world just limited to your country, its because of limited worlds that the whole earth is suffering now.

If you have nothing better than "Like what? Fixing your datafeed before wasting your time on new "affiliate recruitment" emails?" to do on a weekend it doesnt mean that markwelch does the same. Hope you get what im trying to say!

Peace, Love n Light
    Clyde
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

ABW Ambassador
    One thing would be if you didn't like the idea of Shareasale's decision to close tomorrow in remembrance of the 911 tragedy, because you had made plans to spent the entire weekend identifying affiliate-prospect web sites and sending nearly 200 individually-crafted "affiliate recruitment" emails, but to come here and publicly bash Shareasale for their honorable decision, that sure is very annoying, distracting, and disrespectful on your part.
    Sorry Mr. Sal, but that is total BULLSH!T.

http and a telephoto
    I anticipated it because it has been done every year since 9/11. Tommorrow (today) is a difficult day for many people (including many here at ABW), taking a moment to remember isn't a bad thing. Perhaps for those that were actually in NYC that day it makes more sense, I sometimes think the rest of the world forgets since it wasn't at their doorstep.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    This gets debated each year. I guess Mark's issue is that people totally new to SAS can't sign up for an SAS account? Some other things I've read about people losing a day of work or not being able to work on their stuff, not sure what is meant by that. You can still login and do the normal stuff.

For affiliates:
    http://www.shareasale.com/a-loginnoheader.cfm

For merchants:
    http://www.shareasale.com/m-loginnoheader.cfm

As to taking a day off that's for each person to decide. Personally I think people should continue to work and with their daily routines, not doing so is what the terrorists wanted.

@ loxy we dont forget.......we never will untill we go away...every year we have a bomblast to remind us of wat everybody around the world goes through.....we had the bombblasts this year in our local trains.....and then 4 days ago we had bomblasts in the same state but 270 km away......every year we go tru things like these, its just that everybody on a whole instead of doing things that help us remembr actually did something to spread humanity.....things would be different.

In a sense that wats the use of remembering wats hapenned in the past when nobodys doing anything to make the present and the future a safer place to live in? We will just have more and more people to remember as the days go by........its sad but we all know its the truth.....

@ trust no 1 that just proves my point every year they do it and it hasnt made a bit of difference to the world has it?
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by clyderose
    that just proves my point every year they do it and it hasnt made a bit of difference to the world has it?
    Maybe not to the world but to an individual.

I was talking to my children ages 7 & 9 about the attacks. They wanted to know what we could do to fix everything. We talked about what countries and world leaders could do. They said no - what can we do? I asked them what they could think of. They decided we would plant 2 small trees somewhere and they wanted to go feed the birds somewhere near Ground Zero. Their reasoning planting the trees are their own way of adding something to the world even if noone knows about it. Feeding the birds? Those birds may bring a moment of joy to someone who is standing around the old WTC, crying.

We planted our trees and we fed the birds. This may not have made a difference to the world but it means something to to my children - and to me.

@ mellie you have made a difference to the world...imagine if all of us planted two trees we may never have reached this stage of global warming.....

your help on an individual level has helped our future generations....that may never get to breathe a bit of fresh air.

im glad there are people like you teaching your children to do the right thing....we need more parents like you

I dont know if this is the right place but its apt for the moment a lil poetry i wrote

We are the People,
    We have no Nation,
    We have no Race,
    We have no Religion,
    We have one Notion,
    To save Gods Creation.

Mother Earth is Dying,
    As you sell her Insides,
    You pluck her hair,
    With no thought or care,
    Adultrated my Air.

You shot your Gun,
    Fooled everyone,
    Now she cries,
    Drowns cities by Night,
    But your so lost,
    Thinking of what,
    Your next high will Cost.

ABW Ambassador
    I dont know if this is the right place but its apt for the moment a lil poetry i wrote

We are the People,
    We have no Nation,
    We have no Race,
    We have no Religion,
    We have one Notion,
    To save Gods Creation.

Mother Earth is Dying,
    As you sell her Insides,
    You pluck her hair,
    With no thought or care,
    Adultrated my Air.

You shot your Gun,
    Fooled everyone,
    Now she cries,
    Drowns cities by Night,
    But your so lost,
    Thinking of what,
    Your next high will Cost.
    Right place, and very Dylanesque indeed.

Note to self: clyderose has a a hippie tree-hugger mentality, I need to sign up for and try to promote his program. Tres 60's, total coolness.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    As to taking a day off that's for each person to decide. Personally I think people should continue to work and with their daily routines, not doing so is what the terrorists wanted.
    I just go in through the alternate login like you mentioned.

Personally, I have a different reason for NOT wanting this to become a national day-off holiday. People eventually use all special days off to party, and I don't think it's a good idea to bring this day toward that eventuality.

For example, think of Memorial Day--that's supposed to be a day to remember US military dead: Now it's a barbecue holiday, and people watch the car race! IOW it's become a day to have fun! Far from its original purpose.

If 9/11 becomes a day-off holiday, I can see in 50 years or so (once the oldest people alive in 2001 have died off), 9/11 becoming just another barbecue day like Memorial Day--where people sit around drinking their Bud, the vast majority doing so without a thought or care as to why they've even got the day off.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Terrorists are disruptors. They succeed when society is disrupted. The best response to terrorists (besides going after the bastards) is to continue with business as usual. It infuriates them.

ABW Ambassador
    It is ok that shareasale is closed in memorial of the victims, but I would also prefer that they close at that day when Bush became President because I believe that without such a historical false step 9/11 would never had happened.

roland

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I just go in through the alternate login like you mentioned.

Personally, I have a different reason for NOT wanting this to become a national day-off holiday. People eventually use all special days off to party, and I don't think it's a good idea to bring this day toward that eventuality.

For example, think of Memorial Day--that's supposed to be a day to remember US military dead: Now it's a barbecue holiday, and people watch the car race! IOW it's become a day to have fun! Far from its original purpose.

If 9/11 becomes a day-off holiday, I can see in 50 years or so (once the oldest people alive in 2001 have died off), 9/11 becoming just another barbecue day like Memorial Day--where people sit around drinking their Bud, the vast majority doing so without a thought or care as to why they've even got the day off.
    Its true if your life wasn't directly touched in someway its easy not to see the real meaning but in defense of Memorial day there are plenty of veterans and children of Veterans(me) that take the moment to salute and remember their service...then we go and party!! Thats prolly what most of the fallen would want
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    This morning, I followed SAS's Red Cross hyperlink and made the following donations:
    $100 to the Red Cross National Disaster Relief Fund.
    $100 to the Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency Services.
    $500 to the Red Cross International Response Fund.

Today is not meant for squabbling about politics, it is a day for remembrance-induced action. Each person here can make the world better in their own way. Make a difference, do something positive today to influence those around you and those you'll never even see or hear.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Remembering
    To Brian and The SaS crew; thank you for the gesture in remembrance of the day. Your respect and your way of expressing it is appreciated. I now have yet another reason for admiring the dignity and class displayed by you and your staff.

To those who lost friends, family and loved ones that day, my warmest thoughts of support and a special prayer go your way. I will not allow my memory to conveniently lapse and will always remember what happened and how we have reacted to stop it from happening again.

Thanks Brian, Carolyn et al.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    You are a class act Donuts!! Your post made me smile inside and out.

Thanks for your good memory.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I think it's right to keep this as a day of rememberence and not a holiday. My children are in school today and I am working on my sites, but we are all remembering. We lost a couple of friends during the attacks and I live in NYC (at that time I lived on Long Island) so maybe my perspective is different. My husband was working in Manhattan on 9-11-01. He was supposed to be at a job site in the Marriott near WTC but he had to first stop at another Marriott in Manhattan. I remember the fear I felt as I tried to get thru on his cell phone, how I tried to keep things normal and brought my 4 year old to speech therapy and kept my 2 year old busy. Even though I choose to work today I appreciate Brian's rememberance and salute to the victims of the attacks. Planting trees with my children also brings me comfort and just maybe someone will see a bird fly by or land in their backyard.

We've all changed some, as a country and even as a world. But 9/11 shouldn't be about the politics. Choosing to not work is a personal decision, just as choosing not to fly, not to drive a SUV, choosing to plant a tree and so on is a personal decision. None of it will probably make a huge difference to the world but it all matters on a small level.

This morning, I followed SAS's Red Cross hyperlink and made the following donations:
    $100 to the Red Cross National Disaster Relief Fund.
    $100 to the Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency Services.
    $500 to the Red Cross International Response Fund.

Today is not meant for squabbling about politics, it is a day for remembrance-induced action. Each person here can make the world better in their own way. Make a difference, do something positive today to influence those around you and those you'll never even see or hear.
    Thank you! That post was just what this thread needed.

I'm confused, though. The "STOP" page that Brian put up to grab our attention really is not preventing business to be done. While new affiliates and prospective affiliates might not be able to get through, they can certainly get a taste for the class act they are investigating. And those of us who can log in can get just about anything they need. I went in and joined a program and pulled links just to prove I could before I came back here to post.

Markwelch: You have a magnificent opportunity here to send a 2nd unsolicited email telling your prospects how you "screwed up" and sent them to a closed site. You can tell them tomorrow to try again. Most email marketers would kill for an excuse like that to send me 2 emails in 24 hours.

Oh, come on! I admire what Brian is doing.

If you were inconvenienced, too darned bad. Suck it up! Life is full of little frustrations. Take the time off and go for a walk or call a friend that you KNOW you have neglected. Life isn't about pursuing the dollar every darned minute, you know.

If you must send out emails twice, well, that is just a crying shame, isn't it. Go cry over it. And, while you do, think of the tears the friends and families of the 911 victims are shedding, today.

I have heard some complaints in my time but this about takes the cake.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I assume the terrorists are really enjoying all the moments of silence, and the reading of the names, and laying of wreaths. It shows them what a profound effect they have had on our society.

I wish all Americans would just go about their business, doing their grieving in private.

They have changed our world more than I would have imagined, even though it wasn't as much as they hoped.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Leader has my vote for the most profound lines in this thread so far.

As far as Mark goes, it seems he just wants advance notice. I'm betting Brian will agree with that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast