Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Exclamation Shopster's Huge $20,000 Affiliate Holiday Sales Contest
    This just in - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Want a chance to win up to $10,000 in cash? Of course you do! Who wouldn't?! Whether you’re a top performer or just getting started, there's a chance for you to win a substantial cash prize through the Shopster affiliate program by promoting a truly revolutionary ecommerce solution. So what do I have to do I hear you ask...All you have to do is promote Shopster through your website, through PPC/CPC marketing, and/or via email to your list(s) and you could win a big bonus check to top up your bank account and make your Christmas holiday even better! Why not 'kick in it the Caribbean' with your family this Christmas?

So what can I win?:

A good question! Here are the prizes on offer:

1. First affiliate to sell 100 annual subscriptions = $10,000.00 bonus
    (Total commission payable = $16,000)

2. First affiliate to sell 50 annual subscriptions = $5,000.00 bonus
    (Total commission payable = $8,000)

3. First affiliate to sell 10 annual subscriptions = $1,000.00 bonus
    (Total commission payable = $1,600)

4. First affiliate to sell 100 monthly subscriptions $3,000.00 bonus
    (Total commission payable = $9,000)

5. First affiliate to sell 50 monthly subscriptions $1,500.00 bonus
    (Total commission payable = $4,500)

6. First affiliate to sell 10 monthly subscriptions $300.00 bonus
    (Total commission payable = $900)

N.B. We will wait for someone to win the $10,000 top prize before we pay out the other prizes, as we want to give everyone a chance to win the top prize!

I'm interested! What is Shopster?

For less than the cost of a tank of gas, your customers can have their own totally unique retail business selling any of over 700,000 products. They can become a retailer for only $29.95 a month (plus a one time starting fee of $99), or $329.95 for a years membership (with no starting fee). Your customers will be able to make as much as any other retailer on the internet. They choose the markup on their goods, and they'll be paid the difference between the wholesale price and the retail price that they sell their products for. This is identical to the traditional retailer's business model. The difference is that your customers won't have the; costs, headaches, or time commitments that traditional retailers do. Here's 12 more reasons why your customers will LOVE Shopster:

- No Inventory Costs.
    - Over 700,000 products available for them to sell.
    - Shopster handles the customer service and keeps their customers happy.
    - Shopster handles product fulfillment.
    - Shopster handles any returns.
    - No merchant account required.
    - They'll get a fully customizable E-Commerce storefront. ***They can use the template for their current website(s) if they wish.***
    - They'll have complete control over the prices in their store, just like traditional retailers.
    - They'll get repeat business and the lifetime value of a customer ***Read this again as it's an important feature***.
    - They'll be able to sell their products on EBay or through shopping comparison websites like Shopping.com.
    - They'll have access to a selling community to help you succeed.
    - There's no long term commitment. They can cancel their subscription to Shopster at any time.
    Here're 8 reasons why you should join the Shopster affiliate program:

1) $60 per sale on the first tier.
    2) $12 per sale on the second tier.
    3) Lifetime/residual commissions.
    4) Lifetime cookie.
    5) Parasite FREE program.
    6) Dedicated ABW Forum
    7) 7 day risk free trial to promote
    8) Dedicated program management in partnership with AMWSO.com.

Are there any rules for this competition?

All competitions have rules! Here the rules for the Shopster holiday sales contest:

1) All results will be based on data reported through Shareasale.
    2) A single publisher can only win one of the six prizes.
    3). Winners will be notified via email. If they elect to, we will publish their names in our monthly newsletter.
    4). All current and future Shopster affiliates will be automatically entered into this competition.

Join the Shopster Affiliate Program here.

Any Questions?:

First of all we'd like to thank you for your support, and we look forward to working with you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them via email, telephone, or IM. We're here to help you earn as much money as you can through the Shopster affiliate program.

Best of Luck. I hope you win!
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Did I miss it or is there no cut off date for the first person to hit 100 sales?
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Hi Chris,

There's no set cut off date for the first person to get 100 sales and win the $10k, as someone has to win the cash! However, we don't expect this competition to run past mid November.

We're going to keep everyone in the loop through our newsletters, and list the top 5 performers for annual and monthly sales. This way everyone will know what they need to do to win the $$$'s, and the competition will be transparent.
    James D. Nardell

Hi guys,

I don't see many ABW'ers in the performance reports for the Shopster affiliate program

If any of you have any questions/comments/concerns/feedback please get in touch. The affiliate program is going 'great guns' so far. Check out our stats:

30 Day EPC: $32.52
    30 Day Reversal Rate: 0.00%
    30 Day Conversion Ratio: 0.54%

7 Day EPC: $48.50
    7 Day Reversal Rate: 0.00%
    7 Day Conversion Ratio: 0.81%

It'd be great to send one someone from this forum a check for $10,000!
    James D. Nardell

Outsourced Program Manager Patrick - AMWSO's Avatar
    Good greif James... $10k top prize!! I fancy that myself....

Open to AMWSO employees??
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. MSN - goodfellowpat@hotmail.com ::: www.amwso.com Get our RSS News Feed here - feeds.feedburner.com/AMWSO
    My Affiliate Marketing Programs :
    EverSmoke.com - SouthBeachSmoke.com, My music production site.

Nice prize but will Shopster last until November?
    An interesting post (before it gets deleted)

http://forums.shopster.com/forums/thread/7490.aspx

This is a problem I am also experiencing and it seems that you have to sell at least 10 items to get 4 shipped? I really like the idea of Shopster but until they can get the core of their business fixed it is futile to promote them as either a affiliate or a client.

Better Pricing - They deal with a lot more middle men than suppliers and they add 10% to their wholesale prices.
    Shipping - Overpriced and very slow

It seems that they have more than they can handle as they are both dealing with customers and clients. If the infrastructure is not in place to manage both you cannot grow no matter what kind on contest you promote.

Unless you find one of the very few niches where Shopster's warehouse prices are remotely competitive, you are dead in the water with this one. Then, if you manage to find such a niche, you have to deal with ridiculously high shipping, excessive out-of-stocks, and lengthy waits before the shopper actually receives his goods.

I was looking at a particular niche and was surprised by the high costs from Shopster, so I asked if Shopster upcharges from their supplier, and on several occasions was assured that they do not.

OK..... so I did a little investigating and stumbled upon the dropshipper Shopster used for these products and low and behold!.... I could get the same products from the dropshipper for less than I could from Shopster.

Armed with this information, I asked again, about upcharges being applied and was told that.... yes, Shopster does in fact have a small upcharge on their products.

Add these small upcharges to the exorbitant shipping fees, the profit they make between what they charge their rShop owners and the fees they pay for CC transactions, plus the $30 a month to have your own shop, and Shopster likely does just fine for itself.

What does all of this have to do with Shopster's big 10K giveaway? Not much I guess, but I do know that I wouldn't be comfortable foisting this opportunity on some poor unsuspecting soul.

I was procrastinating on starting a Shopster store. I didn't like the startup and running cost. Not showing our cost as a store owner before signup, 14 day trial reduced to 7 days, requiring a CC for a free trial and the last few posts here have turned me away from buying into it. I have had my share of failed turnkey dropship stores. The "On Your Own" cost of $13,260 is inflated http://www.shopster.com/how_much.html.

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't replied to the last few posts. I missed this thread until this morning. Wow! There's quite a lot of negativity surrounding Shopster to say the least. Frankly I'm surprised based on feedback from our partners, but I'd like to go through a few points and hopefullly put some of your minds to rest.

Nina: Shopster is growing VERY quickly and we're not going anywhere. We expect Christmas to be huge, so we're defiintely not going to close in November! A lot of time and money has been invested in the project, and the investors are in this project for the long haul. The $10k competition was my idea and I designed it. Frankly, we'll do fine without it, but I wanted something to motivate our current and future star performers.

I have not heard about reversal rates like you quote from any of our partners. Nonetheless, I will look into this and get back to you with an exact number for the global reversal rate. Please bear in mind that all affiliate programs have some sort of reversal rate. It's part of online (and offline) business. One thing I know for certain is that the reversal rate is definitely nowhere near the 60% you imply. We'd all be out of business if it was! The reversal rate is very low single digits.

Shopster does not add on 10% to our wholesale prices, but you're right for some of our products we do have to deal with middle men. There really is no choice due to the volume/breadth of products we stock. Remember there are over 700,000 products in our warehouse.

Our shipping rates are exactly the same as Buy.com. Additionally, we use well known logistics companies to ship the goods. Generally we use UPS for most deliveries, and will on occasion utilize FedEx, USPS, Canada Post or DHL depending on circumstance. If there's a delay, it's from the merchants end. We have already looked into this issue, and the vast majority of goods shipped reach their destination within 3-5 days.

By the way, you be surprised about the Shopster infrastructure. We're a lot bigger than you think. We can easily deal with both affiliates, and retailers, and our doing so.

Steele: I wish you would have given Shopster a chance. We did a lot of work for you to get the foundation of your Shopster store in place, and I'm disappointed you didn't even try to use the system. Shopster works very well for those people with niche traffic, and these are the guys really tearing up the system! Additionally, we've got a lot of people making great sales figures by taking their marketing efforts offline. Sort of revolutionary for online marketing in a very perverse way, but it really works.

The prices in the warehouse have been coming down as we get more leverage with our suppliers, and they'll come down even further. Even the electronic products have come down in the last month (many products by 7.5%+).

The upcharge you mention above was 3.5% of publisher commission while we were in beta (as you know we were not charging publishers anything to use the system and we had to recover some of the money we were paying for maintenance costs).

We believe that $27.50 per month (for an annual plan) is great value for what we offer partners. Shopster is literally a business in a box, and a great way to monetize traffic. If you have the expertise/money to set up your own ecommerce site, and you want to strike up relationships with merchants directly and deal with customer service issues, then absolutely you don't need to use a system like Shopster. However, for many people just getting started with online marketing this is an impossibility. Even for those with a fair bit of experience it's not an easy (or cheap) proposition. Remember that many of the participants on this board are way ahead of the curve compared to the average person...

Saying "I wouldn't be comfortable foisting this opportunity on some poor unsuspecting soul" is cold Steele. We are not in the business of ripping off our partners. If Shopster are con-artists like you imply, do you think AMWSO would work with them? We'd have to have rocks in our head to open a dedicated forum in ABW if Shopster is scam!

dpl882: Shopster was always going to charge for the system and we made this clear right from the outset. We're giving people the opportunity to start their own business for less than $30 a month! Remember the old addage "there's no such thing as a free lunch?" I'd be worried about joining a program like Shopster if it was 'free' myself...In my experience there's no such thing as 'free', and most of the time 'free' works out very expensive. Especially on the net.

We have reduced the free trial to 7 days as you really don't need two weeks to see if Shopster is going to work for you. All it takes is a couple of hours (for most people) to tinker with the system and get a feel for what is achievable with Shopster. Most (pretty much all in fact) comparable businesses take credit cards before they'll let you have a free trial. Some don't even offer a free trial like XSitePro.com. A notable example of a company that requires a credit card for a free trial is the venerable SiteSell with their SiteBuildIt! (I respect these Ken Evoy and his team a great deal). The primary reason we made this change was to boost our affiliate's conversion rates. There's no dark reason behind this change.

If any of you want to check out the costs in the Shopster warehouse please log in to the AMWSO demo account here:

Login: http://service.shopster.com
    Username: Chris.Sanderson@amwso.com
    Password: Thailand

I hope this answers some of the questions out there. If there are any more I'll have a go at trying to answer them. Shopster really is not a scam guys.
    Last edited by James - AMWSO; October 2nd, 2006 at 10:46 PM.
    James D. Nardell

Hi guys,

i just received a message from a Shopster partner which illustrates how many people are heppy with the developments at Shopster. Remember that if Shopster is not a win-win for our retailers, the system (and the business) will go nowhere fast. Here's the mesasage (I have deleted the partners name, website details, and a personal message that is not relevant to the discussion in hand):

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:49 AM
    To: James Nardell
    Subject: RE: Our Shopster site

Hi James,

I am going to finally finish up the product additions over this next week and hook the site up to XXX-XXX.com, still in time for xmas shopping.

- Personal message/details deleted -

I just logged in again and poked around a bit. I see that your team has implemented many of the suggestions I wrote up for you at the beginning of this year. It is looking fantastic!!

One question...as I added products, it still comes up with that popup message box which, when adding hundreds of products, kind of gets in the way. Is there possibly an option somewhere to toggle that off? I will be adding the rest of the products starting on Friday.

Traffic on XXX-XXX.com is way up this year, and I am looking forward to seeing how this translates to sales on Shopster. Our other affiliate deals are all up.

Well, keep up the great work there! Shopster has come a long way from a year ago!! Looking forward to our continued partnership with this first site and then on additional domains I work with as well.

Cheers,

XXX XXX
    James D. Nardell

Question
    Hello,

I would like to chime in here with a question. I have been doing what I can to build referalls for Shopster, yet I haven't had much success. Since this is the affiliates forum I figure it would make sense to post this here. I have had literally hundreds of clicks through my affiliate link, but very, very few sales. I understand there is a free trial in place, but I have taken that into consideration. I do wonder, though, being that the clicks I have gotten have been very targeted, by people interested in dropshipping, what the problem they are having signing up...

James,

Shipping is overpriced.
    To say that shipping is the same as Buy.com does not take into account that Shopster is not Buy.com. This is a program to allow people off the street, so to speak, the ability to create and operate an online business. But if the costs to operate are extraordinarily high the only one that makes out is Shopster.

Reversal Rates / Sales
    They are that high as I have seen it myself. You only have to read the Shopster forum to see other instances of this happening. Shipping costs, items that cost more than wholesale, and delays in shipping all add up to a poor experience for a shopper. One store I set up with Shopster actually did better as a straight affiliate site before I set up a shopster store with the same items. This was also not a sandboxed domain but has excellent position and keyword SERPs for the products featured. Sales just dropped off the chart and from the small amount of information I could glean from the Shopster reports is was not from a lack of traffic.

I don't mean to rain on your parade and possibly this post may be considered out of place. But from what I've read here at ABW it is important to make what you know about a company we all may want to promote, public info. I was considering doing a promotion to take advantage of the contest but too many things dont' ring true.

The hype far outweighs the actual workings at Shopster and I say this from personal experience. It is amazing the things you can learn from a guy with a few beers in him when he thinks the pretty face in front of him is just another blonde at the bar.

Nina

Hi guys,

ibawadallah@lycos.com: If you don't mind, could you let me know where your traffic is coming from? If you don't want to share in this forum I'd appreciate a PM from you. I can see that the last referred URL from you was from a forum called DropShipForums.com. For some reason though this site is not opening up in my browser so I can't see how you were promoting Shopster.

Nina: Frankly I'm not familiar with shipping options in the US outside of the major companies that we already use like UPS/DHL/FEDEX/USPS etc. If you have any suggestions of another option(s) that would allow us to offer cheaper shipping, I would be more than happy to suggest it to the guys at Shopster and propose that we trial it.

With Shopster what you see is pretty much what you get. We have always been honest about what Shopster can do to both our affiliates and retailers. In regard to pricing we have always stated that some niches are not competitive - especially electronic goods - as it is extremely difficult to beat the big boys like Amazon, Buy.com et al on pricing. Our purchasing/bargaining power just isn't in the same league right now. However, we do have some really competitively priced products/niches in the system. There are 700,000+ products in the system right now so it does take some time to find them, but believe me they are there. (Everyone please feel free to use the login above to check out what we've got and the prices).

I'm not sure about the hype you mention. The competition is merely to motivate affiliates. Nothing more. It was quite a job (on my part) pushing this competition through actually.

Admittedly the system is not perfect yet but in our niche I believe we are the very best solution out there. I honestly haven't seen anything better and I have looked. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). There're are a lot of guys who are entering this niche but Shopster offers the most customizable solution out there.

Out of interest Nina what was the name of the store you ran though Shopster? I'd appreciate it if you could PM the URL.
    James D. Nardell

Just a quick FYI...Was doing some surfing and came accross this recent article on Shopster in CNET News: http://news.com.com/2061-12572_3-6122005.html

Interesting article. Worth a read.
    James D. Nardell

Steele: I wish you would have given Shopster a chance. We did a lot of work for you to get the foundation of your Shopster store in place, and I'm disappointed you didn't even try to use the system.
    I didn't give Shopster a chance? Good Grief! I spent countless hours searching for niches that you are competitive in.... and this, after I found that your warehouse (dropshipper) prices were exorbitant in my preferred niches.

As for the work you did..... yes your graphics guy does nice work and set up the templates beautifully. In fact, that is why I transferred that domain over to you, so that his effort was not in vain, and so you can give some enterprising person a ready-made setup.

The upcharge you mention above was 3.5% of publisher commission while we were in beta (as you know we were not charging publishers anything to use the system and we had to recover some of the money we were paying for maintenance costs).
    Bull. You were upcharging more than that and I proved it at the time, after Shopster denied it was doing any such thing. It was 3.5% of the publisher's commission plus an upcharge of more like 7-8%. I did my homework here and presented it to you James.

Shopster is a good idea in principal and maybe in time it will be better. But for now it simply doesn't work for many..... save perhaps a few who manage to find those deep niches you refer to where the warehouse pricing is competitive.

Sorry guys. The login to Shopster needs to have a lowercase 't' for Thailand i.e.

Login: http://service.shopster.com
    Username: Chris.Sanderson@amwso.com
    Password: thailand

Steele: I don't know what to say on the point of upcharges. I was assured by the guys at Shopster multiple times that there were no upcharges added to the products. The only charge they said was added was the 3.5% of publisher commission to help pay for the system...

The reason they gave me for the differential in the prices of certain products/product areas (like the Nutraceuticals you highlighted for example) is that they don't get all their products direct from the manufacturers, and this is why some prices are higher than they should be. Right now approximately 5% of products (which equals many thousands of products as there are 700,000 products in Shopster) aren't direct from the maufacturer. I do know that Rob Siegmund the Procurement Manager for Shopster is working on making the percentage as low as possible. The target is 0%, but there's no definite time frame for this as it's a big project in itself.

The only advice I can give anyone interested in Shopster, is to look through what is on offer and find the 'diamonds' that are in the warehouse. They really do exist. (And in greater numbers that you might imagine after reading this thread ).

When people trial the system, if they don't like it for whatever reason (or they can't find products that fit their niche) they'll get a full refund. No questions asked. No discussion. Shopster wants to make partners happy, and genuinely wants retailers to be as profitable as possible. The future of the system relies on this fact. If our partners don't win, Shopster will be 'dead in the water' and all involved in the project understand this fact. There's a wealth of expertise on this project and the founders/investors have 'been in the game' for a long time.
    James D. Nardell

Quote Originally Posted by James - AMWSO
    Hi guys,

ibawadallah@lycos.com: If you don't mind, could you let me know where your traffic is coming from? If you don't want to share in this forum I'd appreciate a PM from you. I can see that the last referred URL from you was from a forum called DropShipForums.com. For some reason though this site is not opening up in my browser so I can't see how you were promoting Shopster.
    Yes, that is correct. I have a link directed from Dropshipforums.com, as well as a few other forums. However, I don't know wether this is allowed (ads in forums) so I have been using other methods of advertising...

We have no problems with advertising in forums as AMWSO/Shopster does this ourselves. We don't condone SPAMMING forums though, and will review and likely cancel your membership to the Shopster affiliate program if we receive complaints from forum owners.

DropShipForums.com doesn't look a good place to advertise in, as from what I can see (I still can't open the forum or website though) the forum is linked to this product/company: www.usellcorp.com. Frankly, i can't imagine they'd be happy you advertising/promoting Shopster in their forum.
    James D. Nardell

http://www.usellcorp.com/packages.htm
    Nich Market Site
    Regular Price $8500.00
    SALE $6450.00

My thoughts exactly. Not my place to comment though.
    James D. Nardell

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. The Shopster affiliate program is going from strength to strength. We've already exceeded our sales target for this month. (Actually a few days ago).

Check out these figures:

30 Day EPC: $53.64
    30 Day Conversion Ratio: 0.89%
    30 Day Average Sale: $0.00

7 Day EPC: $141.73
    7 Day Conversion Ratio: 2.36%
    7 Day Average Sale: $0.00

The positive 'write ups' on the system keep on coming too...Check out this one on WebsiteServices.com: http://magazine.websiteservices.com/...marketing.aspx
    James D. Nardell

James. What part of the country is your warehouse located?

Hi Mailman,

Shopster uses multiple suppliers for the products stocked in our 'virtual warehouse'. Therefore, our warehouse distribution locations are all over the USA and Canada.

FYI Shopster’s head office is located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

Shopster.com
    Suite 200, 924 17th Ave S.W.
    Calgary, Alberta
    Canada
    T2T0A2

You might be interested to know that Shopster has a BBBOnline listing. Check it out here: http://www.bbbonline.org/cks.asp?id=106100216270200. So far, zero complaints in 36 months.

One final thing for all prospective and current affiliates...Our sales and EPC are both rocking. Thank you all so much for your support. We sincerely appreciate it. Here is where we are today:

30 Day EPC: $92.80
    30 Day Conversion Ratio: 1.55%

7 Day EPC: $266.19
    7 Day Conversion Ratio: 4.44%
    James D. Nardell