View Poll Results: What "setup" would you prefer an affiliate program to be on?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • osCommerce

1 7.14%
  • ShareASale

12 85.71%
  • neither (provide explanation in a reply post)

1 7.14%
    osCommerce vs ShareASale
    Affiliates,

Your feedback would be much appreciated on this one. I have a good merchant deciding on which way to manage their affiliate program's tracking: an osCommerce-based solution or ShareASale.

Without any partiality embedded, could you please vote for either one (thinking of the situation through the lens of whether you would work with it or not), providing any comments if you want to.

Many thanks in advance,

Geno

http and a telephoto
    I worked extensively with osCommerce in the past and I would NOT recommend using their tracking system as an affiliate program. It is not full featured, you have to enter cookie duration in seconds (try to work out the math and type in the number for a 60 day cookie, it ain't pretty!)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Geno,

One of my [heavily promoted at the time] Affiliate Merchants from CJ once tried to "go off on his own" with an independent in-house deal -- the affiliates complained and decided not to promote the merchant's links. The merchant returned to CJ.

I don't work with "in-house deals" period.

I would advise your merchant to sign a deal with SAS.

I like the reporting format SAS offers and I like the variety of methods to get product links.

Given a choice I will choose the merchant with a network.
    I don't trust "in-house deals" even if I read from [some] others [on any given forum] that the "in-house deals" are fantastic. It would take more to convince me [based upon the bad initial experience described above]

On the other hand, if I met an "in-house dealer" face-to-face I might get a strong desire to "talk deals" and in such a case I might be the one who tells the world that the "in-house deal" is the next best thing since sliced bread
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 11th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    In house vs network is a different discussion altogether, I was just addressing the management and technical aspects of using the osCommerce affiliate plug in.
    Deborah Carney

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Definitely SAS!!

I wouldn't rely on OSC's tracking, or any other tracking that relies on a team of people working for free, who can't be held accountable for malcoding.

Plus, Loxly's comment about the cookie length tells me that it's like its descendant, ZenCart, in that it's got aggravating PITAs and chances for things to get screwed up.

IMO, best to leave the tracking to a place like SAS, whose business uses tracking as a core functionality (rather than it being just another module).

SAS. I have a number of dropship sites I have installed using osCommerce. It is nice that it is open source, but it is very buggy. I have installed a few updates and then the site wouldn't work properly then have to go to a previous version untill another fix for the fix was written. I haven't installed the most recent version so maybe it is a little better now. http://forums.creloaded.com/ is a good place to read.

SAS's job is to keep track of all this. They get paid for this. If the osCommerce tracking is not working properly you are SOL. Nobody is getting paid to make sure it's working and you don't have dedicated people to contact.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    SAS. I have a number of dropship sites I have installed using osCommerce. It is nice that it is open source, but it is very buggy. I have installed a few updates and then the site wouldn't work properly then have to go to a previous version untill another fix for the fix was written. I haven't installed the most recent version so maybe it is a little better now. http://forums.creloaded.com/ is a good place to read.
    It looks a little deserted over there, and I am NOT going to admit what my user name is there! Haven't been there in ages.... Zen Cart is much better, but has a few missing pieces also...
    Deborah Carney

Tax Paying Member
    I use ZenCart (a relative of OSCommerce) for a couple of merchant sites. It works fine for a merchant operation, but I would not dare try to run an affiliate program from it.

I understand that the creeloaded oscommerce has affiliate tracking plug-ins available, but it is still a plug-in and I have no experience with how efficient that it might be.

I vote with the others, mainly for the safety factor. Use SAS.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I still have my stores up but I haven't added any new ones in a while because of it being buggy. I can setup a store faster than it takes to upload ALL the files. I thought Zencart was an older more simplified version of osCommerce. Hmmm. What FREE cart would you recommend? I need a feature like Easy Populate to bulk import? Yeah, I know were getting off topic here.

Geno,

I am not sure I understand the question. OsCommerce is a shopping cart. ShareASale is affiliate management and tracking. I don't really see a comparison. Especially because you could use osCommerce as your cart with SAS. Since they are two different products you can use them at the same time. One as your cart and one as your tracker. If they like osCommerce could you not use it and then use SAS for the affiliate tracking? That way they get the strengths of both.

Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Geno,

I am not sure I understand the question. OsCommerce is a shopping cart. ShareASale is affiliate management and tracking. I don't really see a comparison. Especially because you could use osCommerce as your cart with SAS. Since they are two different products you can use them at the same time. One as your cart and one as your tracker. If they like osCommerce could you not use it and then use SAS for the affiliate tracking? That way they get the strengths of both.

Patrick
    No argument, just a little update.

osCommerce and ZenCart are shopping carts.

I understand that Creeloaded-osCommerce has plug-ins for affiliate management and tracking. They are not free, but are cheap. I have never used this software, just studied their sales pitch.

I understand that ZenCart does not have affiliate management plugin at this time but it is being developed.

My understanding is that Zen and Creloaded are take-offs and improvements on osCommerce. Zen is free. Oscommerce is free. Creloaded costs a few dollars.

I found Zen to be easier......maybe it was just the way the clouds were hanging that day...........

For affiliate management, I would go with a professional group (SAS). It is safer and will cost some money, but will burn less of your time and be less frustrating.

Legal disclaimer::: my understanding means.....my opinion

Wow.......Most thinking that I have done all week...
    Where is the grape juice????
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

You can manage an affiliate program in osCommerce also and pay no fees (http://www.oscommerce.com/community?...e&category=all). I would still go with SAS.

Creloaded is basically osCommerce "loaded" with a bunch of addons so you don't have to install them all separately. There also is a free version of Creloaded (Standard - http://www.creloaded.com/Shopping_Ca...duct_info.html).

Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    You can manage an affiliate program in osCommerce also and pay no fees (http://www.oscommerce.com/community?...e&category=all).
    Thank you, dpl882. A plug-in for osC was what was meant.

Everyone else, I must say, I am extremely pleased with the comments. They are really backing me up on what has already been communicated to the client. Looking forward to more feedback and votes.

Thanks again,

Geno

http and a telephoto
    Zen Cart is a fork, doesn't continue to follow osCommerce development lines... they have their own version that started based on osCommerce code.

CreLoaded (was once my baby, lol) is an enhanced version of osCommerce that can use osC addons and will be updated according to what the osC developers do in the future.

The existing plugins are made to track but not to manage. Reporting is minimal, as the merchant managing would be a nightmare. SAS has simple, clear instructions for integrating the tracking on the checkout page. Geno, your merchant shouldn't need any more info than "it will make your life harder to do this without a network".
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    The existing plugins are made to track but not to manage. Reporting is minimal, as the merchant managing would be a nightmare. SAS has simple, clear instructions for integrating the tracking on the checkout page. Geno, your merchant shouldn't need any more info than "it will make your life harder to do this without a network".
    I know, Deb.

Yep, Sometimes it's better to pay someone else to deal with the stress. Running their own affiliate program on osCommerce / Creloaded would not be worth the money saved. They might actually lose money because tracking is not reliable and affiliates would get discouraged and walk. SAS has the proven good reputation that makes affiliates want to signup.

No one will want to put up the merchant just on speculation if they are independent in the same way they will with SAS. Reason? Consolidated checks! With SAS, affiliates know that even if they only make one sale, they will get paid for that one sale. Therefore, they are more inclined to give a merchant a chance to show their stuff.

If the merchant has a feed with SAS and only carries one or two items that an affiliate is targeting to sell, well heck, the affiliate will probably download their feed along with the others. They may find even more stuff they can use, when they take a look at it.

With SAS, if an affiliate uses the make-a-page feature (when it works right), the merchant may have a product come up in the search. If it does, that product will go onto the affiliate site and it will be well targeted for the page the affiliate puts it on. This greatly increases the chances that products will go on sites wherever and whenever they can best be used. Try getting that as an independent!

But, most important of all is time. By the time an affiliate goes through their regular routine, that they do with their network merchants, most simply do not get around to the independents. Sure, they may mean to. But, independents are usually on the to do list way down at the bottom. And, before ever getting to the bottom of the to do list, it is time for a site update and they are off working with their network merchants doing their regular routine and the independent is long forgotten.

Tell the merchant that they best learn to trust ol' SSanf and go with SAS!

I know what am of which I speak!
    Last edited by SSanf; September 11th, 2006 at 09:14 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Good point, Sandra. Consolidation of payments is definitely a strong point. Thanks.

Geno

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread