Sales 16
    Leads 0
    Clicks686
    Imps 1,454
    CTR 47.18%
    CR 2.33%
    CPM 154.337
    EPC (USD) $32.71

I hope there is no rule against posting this. Are these bad results? It looks bad with CR being 2.33%. This is from 0810 - 0910.

Thank you for any help.

ABW Ambassador
    Not knowing any of the specifics, it looks good to me.

I would agree with Trust. Question is, what period are these for, a day, a week, a month or more?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I would agree with Trust. Question is, what period are these for, a day, a week, a month or more?

From 081006 - 091006.

I spent $123.28 in advertising to make this.

686 click and 16 sales?
    I hope you are not running a PPC campaign!

I don't mean to be rude, but that means every 42 second person buys your product. To me that's a bad conversion. Don't you want at least every 5th person to buy your product?

ABW Ambassador
    "Don't you want at least every 5th person to buy your product?"

That would be nice but most places don't have a 20% conversion rate. Lots of factors go into that.

"I spent $123.28 in advertising to make this."

and you made

Commissions (USD)$224.41

So you made money. That's good. A lot of people lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by pacweb
    686 click and 16 sales?
    I hope you are not running a PPC campaign!

I don't mean to be rude, but that means every 42 second person buys your product. To me that's a bad conversion. Don't you want at least every 5th person to buy your product?
    All I can say is that my ads (adwords) are done carefully, but use broad match. I guess I could use exact [], but I find it doesn't make a whole lot of sense based upon the product (shoes) and the ad. I can change that though. I may be wrong.

The product ad is very specific in that it is not misleading and goes to the specific brand landing page either on my site or the merchant. I don't do any bait and switch. I want them to get to my landing page quickly and the merchant page quickly. Quite honestly, I don't have a lot of reason for them to stay at my site, yet. I'm working on that, but I can't imagine why they'd want to stay, when I have no real inventory and they can't buy anything there. I have tried a blog and reviews. They work, but, again honestly, I find them hard to keep up. I know that's lazy, but I try, just I can't do it full time...but I digress.

Back to my other: So, for example, say a person is searching for Steve Madden high heel shoes. Then my broad search for steve madden shoes, shows up, and they click. I guess in the mind of the shopper they make the assumption (and perhaps rightly so) that because they searched for high heel steve madden shoes that the link should show only steve madden high heel shoes, On the other hand, it doesn't really matter much in this context, because they're almost all high heels shoes!

Another thing is that they are clicking the shoes on my landing page. They do indeed find a product they like. They end up at the merchant page. That part of the equation is probably at 90%. They get their, through my link, presumably on a product they are interested in, it is probably in stock (yeah, probably), but they just don't always buy.

I have no experience in sales and certainly none in online sales, but I know that when I buy something I do a lot of shopping first. I can only guess that that is much of the same thing here.

But, uh, yeah, I'd like every 5th person to buy.

Johnnywebaffiliate, that's not bad at al lif you're new to the PPC game I hope I can do as well as soon as I launch.

after some subtle refinements, maybe some dynamic insertions or maxed out daily budgets (google likes that) you can pull in some double digit % gains from the already quite decent 100% ROI.

after that....rinse and repeat with a bazillion products.

Johnnywebaffiliate, that's not bad at al lif you're new to the PPC game I hope I can do as well as soon as I launch.

after some subtle refinements, maybe some dynamic insertions or maxed out daily budgets (google likes that) you can pull in some double digit % gains from the already quite decent 100% ROI.

after that....rinse and repeat with a bazillion products.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Great start JWA
    You can be pleased with your stats from that period JWA I'm sure we'd all like a 50% conversion rate, but from what you posted your return was decent considering your product. On some sites our products convert at 10% or even more, but that is dependant on the demographic and site focus.

Sounds like you have a good start, so I hope you keep it going and expand your activities to long term objectives.

Best Of Luck
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

It doesn't sound like you're maxed out, so imagine if you spend more money in PPC advertising for that merchant next month. On top of that, you should keep tweaking, tweaking, and tweaking until you max out your conversion rate ($$$$).

Good luck!

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    It doesn't sound like you're maxed out, so imagine if you spend more money in PPC advertising for that merchant next month. On top of that, you should keep tweaking, tweaking, and tweaking until you max out your conversion rate ($$$$).

Good luck!
    Thanks. But I'm not doing near as good this month. Only sold a few things. After my post above, I started using [] exact match. My ad spending has went down to half, but still no conversions in the past few days.

My PPC was for 34 different products (all shoe brands a few types (sandals, etc.)).

435 34,879 1.24% $0.27 $115.43 9.2

I know the $115.45 is a little different than above, but it's close enough. I only picked brands the merchant said were in the top ten and some that were new brands the merchant said they had just started carrying. I would have put them all in here, but I thought it might be against some unknown adwords rule, plus I don't know if it would actually help anyone. I have almost no SERP, so I am all PPC. I've put everything, sadly, on 435 people for that month. That seems....wrong. And yes, I am trying to give the folks a reason to return to me, but that is the hardest part.

I could add more shoes, but I am thinking that is kind of pointless. There are literally hundreds of brands and I have many ads for other shoes that get no clicks. I can't imagine spending time on 500+ brands that no one wants. Now if there were 500+ they did want that'd be different.

Maybe I should try the shoes and other types of stuff. I've been thinking about electronics. I guess I could just do the same thing there as with the shoes, just pick the top products. The electronics changes more often.

I don't think PPC is gambling by any means, but it is a numbers "game," and it takes a lot of people, at least on certain items, before conversions occur. Shoes may be one of those products that just has a lot of lookers. I have no idea. I'm a newbie (9 -10 months) as you can tell.

Thanks for all the encouragement and input.

It may not be as true in the shoe sales business as some others but sales over the summer are often MUCH lower than later on in the year - I see a 50% drop off these months.

Quote Originally Posted by micheck
    It may not be as true in the shoe sales business as some others but sales over the summer are often MUCH lower than later on in the year - I see a 50% drop off these months.
    When does "summer" end? I'm hoping to see it pick back up. I started doing better in July, so I'm hoping for way better now.

Is 2.33% CTR and $32.71 EPC "good" ? YES!!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Spent $123.28 on advertising
    Commissions (USD)$224.41
    1,454 impressions => 686 clicks => 16 sales
    CTR 47.18%
    Click-to-Conversion Ratio 2.33%
    EPC (USD) $32.71
    You are paying an average of 18 cents per click for your incoming traffic ($123.28 ad spend divided by 686 clicks), which is a fairly high rate for speculative affiliate advertising. That's not necessarily bad, if it pays off (as it seems to do for you).

An average conversion (click-to-transaction) rate of 2.33% is usually considered good. As an affiliate, I have much lower average click costs (typically 5 to 9 cents average), and a higher conversion rate (4% to 6%), but a MUCH lower average transaction size; I buy a lot more clicks than you.

Your stated EPC rate is extraordinarily high. Really, really high. Good for you.

As noted above, you are spending 18 cents per click for your traffic. Fortunately, you are receiving nearly 33 cents per click in commission revenue, for an average profit of about 15 cents per click, or average ROI of 82% or 182% -- meaning that for every dollar you invest in advertising you are getting back $1.82 in commission revenue. (For my PPC campaigns, I generally find that I am most comfortable with an ROI of 300% or more.)

Of course, whether this is a good result depends on how much time you must invest managing your advertising campaigns and your web site. If you are spending 1 hour per month to earn $100 profit, that's good; if you are spending 50 hours per month, it's dreadful.

The CTR (impression-to-click) ratio of 47.18% is simply absurd -- it's certainly not a valid number; I assume that the vast majority of your impressions are not being counted (they never are for PPC-search campaigns).

Overall, your performance seems OK, but it seems likely that even a relatively minor change (in competing bid rates, or click-to-transaction rates, or average order size) could wipe out all profit. If your competing bidders go away, you may find your ads "promoted" to better average position, and running much more often, and you might spend a lot more dollars (perhaps generating a lot of extra sales, perhaps only a few). If your competing bids go higher, your ads may not be displayed as often, and both your ad spend and your commissions could drop 50% or 90%.

The only caveat I would have is that there are alot of returns in the shoe market. People buy a couple of sizes at a time and return the ones that don't fit. Thats been my experience anyways.

You'll have to do your real ROI when the checks are cut and sent and no reversals can be made.

Other than that good job!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    The only caveat I would have is that there are alot of returns in the shoe market. People buy a couple of sizes at a time and return the ones that don't fit. Thats been my experience anyways.

You'll have to do your real ROI when the checks are cut and sent and no reversals can be made.

Other than that good job!
    I just found out about reversals the other day (sad, I know). I lost $77. I'll never return anything again!

You still came out ahead. Its a good ctr actually if you could duplicate these results with something that doesn't have such a high rate of reversals you'd be sitting pretty

Better than me w/adwords. I can't commit to gambling with cash right now. Although I've had small successes in the past (I've always managed to come out ahead) I get more enjoyment out of SEO and SEM right now. I'll dive back into adwords when I don't have little ones that need so much of my attention.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread