Question How do I create this type of site...
    I'm a relative newbie. I've been dabbling for a while, but finally found a few niches that I like, and I found a BUNCH of products that will fit.

So - now I need to build a site. The problem is I'm not sure how best to approach it. See, most of the products I want to use come from CJ and/or LinkShare and I don't have access to the datafeed for them (if they even have one). But I can spend a bunch of time grabbing the links for all of the products I want.

Of course this means organizing them in some way afterward. In a database, or file, or some solution. Anybody want to suggest a way to build a smallish (100-200 products) site built entirely out of this kind of product?

Maybe it's the wrong approach, but a bit of research will tell me for sure.

Creating a database-driven (datafeed) site?
    First, some CJ merchants can provide you with a working datafeed outside the CJ system, to avoid CJ's fees and limits; just ask them for help (but recognize that 9 out of 10 can't do it). In the past, this was not technically possible for LinkShare merchants, but some recent posts at ABW have suggested otherwise.

Second, don't ignore other affiliate networks that provide datafeed support. In my role as an affiliate, I've built a number of sub-sites using datafeeds from ShareASale, with some modest profit.

Third, take a look at merchants who use the MyAP technology (Kowabunga/Kolimbo), many of whom provide a datafeed also.

Fourth, take a look at GoldenCAN.com and DataFeedFile.com, which can provide some help using datafeeds.

I've developed several "database-driven" web sites, including one modestly successful directory site that combines thousands of unpaid listings and links with thousands of affiliate links -- thus providing a comprehensive resource for my visitors and drawing enough affiliate income to buy nice Ikea furniture for my wife.

You just need to look around at the available tools and partners you might work with, and I think you'll find that this process may be a little bit easier than you may have thought. On the other hand, it's possible to spend dozens or hundreds of hours developing "great idea" affiliate web sites that end up driving only a few dollars in monthly merchandise sales, and perhaps not even enough to cover your hosting fees.

http and a telephoto
    Also many of the networks have a "make a page" feature where you can make a page of products without a database at all. And in addition to GoldenCan and DataFeedFile there is http://psc.afftools.com/directory.html which is an html page generator for a selection of merchants that pay for that service to be available outside the networks.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    First, some CJ merchants can provide you with a working datafeed outside the CJ system, to avoid CJ's fees and limits; just ask them for help (but recognize that 9 out of 10 can't do it).
    I've asked the major merchant I was looking at, and they "can't" by their agreement with CJ apparently. I am looking for alternatives, but in certain niche's it's tough.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Second, don't ignore other affiliate networks that provide datafeed support. In my role as an affiliate, I've built a number of sub-sites using datafeeds from ShareASale, with some modest profit.
    Oh - I am, again, just hard to find ones in the niche I'm after...which may say something unto itself.

Thanks for your input on this, perhaps I need to look at the niche again.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Talus
    I'm a relative newbie. I've been dabbling for a while, but finally found a few niches that I like, and I found a BUNCH of products that will fit.

So - now I need to build a site. The problem is I'm not sure how best to approach it. See, most of the products I want to use come from CJ and/or LinkShare and I don't have access to the datafeed for them (if they even have one). But I can spend a bunch of time grabbing the links for all of the products I want.

Of course this means organizing them in some way afterward. In a database, or file, or some solution. Anybody want to suggest a way to build a smallish (100-200 products) site built entirely out of this kind of product?

Maybe it's the wrong approach, but a bit of research will tell me for sure.
    Good luck.
    MJ

I'd build a site that is related to your niche and put a unique spin on it. And then, after you get your site submitted to a few SE's, you could then put the affiliate links to specific products on the pages that talk of that specific theme or product. If you put too many products on one page, people won't buy into them because it's too overwhelming for them to choose. Just give them a few choices on each page.

On the other hand, you do want them to be able to find what they are looking for quickly, so you could set up a search box on some of the important pages.

People will want to buy from you (and/or your affiliate links) if you have a nice site explaining why you are so interested in that niche. That's the trust factor.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread