Technical question on tracking
    Hey everyone.

The short question: Does tracking of clicks mean that tracking of sales is accurate? Is the technology the same?

The long question: I have a number of types of links for Rhapsody. One type has around 850 clicks, and a reasonable number of lead conversions. Another type of link - called a "song Rhaplink" - has tracked many clicks (1200) yet no conversions. The song Rhaplinks work by searching for the Real player to play the specific song they link to, and if the person doesn't have it they are directed to the free trial page.

I'm wondering if simply those who click the Rhaplinks already have the player - which makes sense as I do write that they are for Rhapsody subscribers - and that's why there's no conversions, or is there a tracking problem. Since so many are clicking them, is it reasonable to assume that they are all subscribers? Am I right in assuming that since the clicks are tracked, any signup commissions should also track?

Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha
    The short question: Does tracking of clicks mean that tracking of sales is accurate? Is the technology the same?
    Not necessarily. Tracking clicks is easy and is done (obviously) as soon as the affiliate link is clicked.

To track conversions (via cookie as most do), a lot more has to happen:
    1. The user must get cookied at the time of the click
    2. At the time of the conversion, the advertiser site must render the proper tracking pixel with the conversion data.
    3. CJ must receive that http request with the tracking code, get the user's cookie, and match it up to a click.

OR, if the merchant reports transactions in batch, they must capture all the information in their back-end and successfully report it to CJ later.

Of course this all *should* work flawlessly with the exception of people with cookies turned off.

If you are seeing clicks, you can rest assured that you've done your part. Your links are working and the rest is out of your hands.

OK, thanks for your answer, it helps me a lot. So I'm interested in understanding the method of coding the links - I usually just use the link generators. Is there some part of the link code that creates that cookie that I can identify? Or does it happen when they open the page at the advertiser's site?

Please pardon my not-yet-sophisticated knowledge, or lack thereof.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread