Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Identity theft
    So I made an online purchase with my ATM card the other day with one of my merchants. The next day, big transactions started coming through my bank account that I didn't make. The card has been deactivated and whoever has the info has tried to use it since deactivation. Good thing I bank online and check the account daily or I'd never have realized this way happening until they bled my account dry.

It makes me very skeptical of this merchant but I can't officially "blame" anyone because I can't prove the info was lifted from that merchant or someone working for that merchant.

I'm gonna get a CC with a small limit and only use that card online from now on. I was trying to be cool and only use funds I actually HAVE by using my ATM online instead of a CC but no more. Best to just pay the CC off each month and be able to monitor things if someone decides to help him/herself to my money again.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It sucks that happened to you Rexanne. That has to be a creepy feeling.

I know this advice is late for you but maybe it will save someone else some pain.

Never, ever, EVER use your bank card or any debit card to make a purchase online or over the phone. Keep one credit card for purchases that aren't local and face-to-face.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea

I know this advice is late for you but maybe it will save someone else some pain.

Never, ever, EVER use your bank card or any debit card to make a purchase online or over the phone. Keep one credit card for purchases that aren't local and face-to-face.

Yep, good advice on only using one CC online and over the phone. That's why I posted this ... I'll be the "horrible example." LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Oh I am so sorry that happened to you Rexanne. I have tried to be very good about only using a credit card online and never my bankcard. But sometimes I still do. I will remember what happened to you next time I even *think* of using my bank card...

Did you file a police report? Are there other things you can do?

I hope they catch whoever did it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    Did you file a police report? Are there other things you can do?

I filed a report with my bank but until the sale goes from "pending" to an actual posted sale, they can't dispute it. I'll get the $ back and the card has been cancelled. Nothing much else to do. The purchases were made at CompUSA in Birmingham Alabama - probly Internet purchases but no way of knowing until the sale actually posts.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

That is great you will get your money back!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    That is great you will get your money back!
    My bank will contest the charge as soon as the sales draft is filed. Seems like SOP for any fraudulent transaction. Works much the same as a CC.

But yeah, I'm happy about getting the $ back. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I've been using CC lately to do the same, for that same fear. Sounds like that's the smart thing to keep doing. Sorry to hear it Rexanne...hope they zap themselves well with their new gifts..

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    I've been using CC lately to do the same, for that same fear. Sounds like that's the smart thing to keep doing. Sorry to hear it Rexanne...hope they zap themselves well with their new gifts..
    LOL - would be sweet justice if they electrocute themselves with their CompUSA purchases. :-) They bought plenty of goodies but the shopping spree was curtailed shortly after it started by killing the card. They tried to use it after it was deactivated 4 or 5 more times but it was already dead. Would be nice if there was a way for whoever tried to use the card info to be nailed on the spot.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Wow, this really sucks. I hope it all works out. Did you ever notify the last company you bought from?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    Did you ever notify the last company you bought from?
    No, I figure unless I can prove it was someone there that used my card info, it's probly not a good idea to accuse them. Would a merchant want to know this? If they have other complaints, maybe they could figure out who the culprit is?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sucks that you got your CC# stolen. I'm glad you can get your money back!

Would a merchant want to know this?
    If they have any sense they would. It could mean they have a security breach, and better to find out about that stuff before someone sues over it!

Granted, they probably wouldn't greet the news with smiles. But once they had a chance to think about it, they should (IF they have any sense...some don't...) realize that simply being told about it is a lot better than the alternatives.

Assuming, of course, that they themselves are legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Sucks that you got your CC# stolen. I'm glad you can get your money back!

If they have any sense they would. It could mean they have a security breach, and better to find out about that stuff before someone sues over it!

Granted, they probably wouldn't greet the news with smiles. But once they had a chance to think about it, they should (IF they have any sense...some don't...) realize that simply being told about it is a lot better than the alternatives.

Assuming, of course, that they themselves are legit.
    Yeah, maybe I'll drop them a line and mention it in case it was one of theirs who did this. The only other places I've used the card I've used it many times before without incident so it made me suspect them, plus it seems like an online purchase (the merchant in question in in FLA and the card info was used in Alabama so I just assumed it was an online transaction. CompUSA has an online store doesn't it?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

You should do one of those Citi bank identity theft commercials.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...52&q=citi+bank

Had my bank info stolen about 5 years ago. Lost over $3k because of it. No fun.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    No, I figure unless I can prove it was someone there that used my card info, it's probly not a good idea to accuse them. Would a merchant want to know this? If they have other complaints, maybe they could figure out who the culprit is?
    I wouldn't accuse them but would just state what you know. As someone who used to create shopping sites, and always concerned about customer data, I would want to know.

Thankfully, none of my systems were cracked but would want to know if there was any security issues.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about that Rex. Happy to hear that you are getting it taken care of - but sorry that you have to deal with that kind of criminality.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    Yes Rexanne, tell the company where you used the card last. I worked for a large medical group years ago in Manhattan and got a call from a woman that said she had used a card she only used to pay medical bills at our office that morning and within an hour she had a call from her cc company asking if she had asked for a large sum of cash to be sent via Western Union to a location near our office!!! We of course didn't think any of our employees would be stupid enough to rip off a patient's cc number and of course we found out that we certainly did have a crook in the billing department that didn't come back from lunch that day once he knew he was caught.

Moral of the story is, even if the company is secure there might be a crook in the mix somewhere that they need to know about.

Hugs to you and glad you realized fast what happened!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I did send the merchant an email explaining what happened and letting them know in case they wanted to check things out.

Thanks for the support everyone. I don't anticipate losing any money over this as my bank assured me that when the sales come through they will be contested and the $$ will go back into my account.

I adore my money and check my online bank statement daily to send it love so I caught it very quickly which is a plus. Killing the card right away stopped a bunch more attempts to use it.

Nasty, nasty people out there ... I wouldn't want their bad karma.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Did you use the credit card to pay for an offline purchase such as gas recently? I had my credit card number stolen once after I paid for gas at the pump. That was the card I used for emergencies and it was the first time I used it in months so I know that's how they got it.

A friend of mine also had her debit card information stolen when she paid for gas. Somehow the guy in the station was able to get her card number and he had a friend stationed across the street with binoculars that would get the PIN when the person punched in the numbers at the pump.

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you, Rexanne. It happened to me about a year ago (but not with an ATM card, a CC one). My bank was very supportive and helpful back then. I was quite upset, but they patiently walked me through the process, issued me the new cards, helped make the security information more subtle... I am saying all this to say that I can definitely relate, and to encourage you that this will be over soon... Hang in there!!

Geno

I suggest "Virtual Account Numbers" when shopping with small or unknown sellers on the web or over the phone. PayPal and Citibank provides this service, which is basically a random, made-up number that's used only for that particular transaction and the seller will never know your real account number.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have been using virtual account #s.
    I usually generate like $1 above the amount but it is more work for each transaction.

If it is a trustworth site i have been buying on, I use my regular credit card.
    AMEX and Citi are pretty good in fraud detection cos I got calls from them when there is some suspicious activity such as a large purchase.

Virtual account numbers ... good idea.

My bank will reimburse purchases on ATM cards as long as the theft of the card (or card information) is reported within a certain amount of time so this case is OK.

What a PITA not having an ATM card though ... using it is a hard habit to break. Got a new one today and am not gonna use it online again. Never did hear back from the merchant but the purchase I made with them has been denied because the sales draft came in after the card was deactivated. Wonder if they'll put the numbers together or if I'll have to go through hoops if I try to order through them again. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Never believe in debit cards. I shread them...

Rex, sorry to hear about your cc difficulties. Good reminder to all of us to take precautions, and monitor accounts closely. That dishonest sector is always watching us.

Sadiejane
    (removed manually added sig)
    Last edited by loxly; September 17th, 2006 at 03:51 PM. Reason: sigs are allowed after you participate on the boards for a while.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast