Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am wondering if we can get together and speak in the language that parasite software engineers and venture greeds who support them understand.

I have a prototype of a browser add-on (more appropriately called browser take-over) that is capable of -stealing any cookie, -stealing any link, -stealing any "BUY" button (yes! the same piece of code that can steal links/forms), -stealing all "BIDDED" links (good-bye Overture!) and stealing any piece of tracking code that's attached to links clicked by the user!

I also have a very useful utility that I can afford to distribute freely. This is a web video conferencing program that is more powerful than any of its competitors. You can take a peak at http://www.glimpse2001.com

The deal is, we can get together and distribute our virus attaching it to this -indeed- useful and high demand software to the masses.

When we distribute such a thing to hundred million WindowsXXX machines, then we can have power to take out the parasiteware and the traffic monopolizers (i.e. Overture), who are now just doing it to us.

I think until we, the affiliate marketing community, have an answer to their trojans, there's not much we can do but to accept defeat.

I'd like to measure a pulse here, as I surely do not want to become a parasiteware among parasiteware and a monopolizer among monopolizers (how-ever that is possible!) What would you all think? Would you be willing to help distribute a -sort-of- virus software to uneducated internet users for the sake of getting a revenge, or even better beating up, the parasiteware and monopolizers? I know there will be plenty of questions and suspicions etc... to answer the very obvious one, I do not have any other distribution channel that can reach out to masses. All that can reach out to masses are this way or that way funded by the monopolizers and will NOT distribute my virus.

What do you think?

-BluesX

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: BluesX ]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Very scarry to have a trojan horse application that basically hijacks the hijackers. Merchants already are in hot water for supporting the parasite/theftwarewz programs and in order for your app to work for us it would have to place back in the original referral ID ..which I assume has been lost in the con game shuffle. Your hijacking script has to some how jump into the front of the checkout line ahead or Morpheus -ShopNow -Gator etc etc and the others installed on those machines.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>which I assume has been lost in the con game shuffle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is, at least as far as Morpheus is concerned. The only way to jump to the front of the line would be with a script on the affiliate website itself that gets in between the original ID and the redirect.

It may steal from the parasites, but how does this get our money back for us? The point is, there is no way for this virus to tell who was stolen from or who the money belongs to.

My question is, who is going to be in charge of distributing this money?

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

ABW Ambassador
    This is a terrible idea. Right now at least with the media and legislature, we have the high ground. I am also against all spyware/scumware.

People who release spyware/scumware never think theirs is bad, their software is the one good one - you are no better then any other spyware/scumware author.

Thanks for the warning. I will never (not that i would have or many other people would have) download the software you mention.

Chet

Hmmm... you could of course insist that Morpheus et al is deinstalled as it impacts on the application's function [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Here I will be VERY straight.

It is all BS that *we* have an edge over scumware that media supports *affiliate marketing community* etc.. that is a pure BS.

We are bound to be beaten by today's and tomorrow's scumware if we only try to be nice and hand it over to official justice.

Chet, I do not give a rats ass if you or anyone else downloads a software I recommend (as if I was a software critic!). I can not imagine myself *SO OPENLY* talking about this thing that can defend *the way we live our lives* against thieves who steal it from us, and somebody as respected as you are Chet, come here and give me a load of BS that by no means related to what I am talking about.

What can I say.. know your enemy, know your friends.

-BluesX

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hmmm... you could of course insist that Morpheus et al is deinstalled as it impacts on the application's function <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought of that too but I don't think that is legal either - there were some issues around that with Microsoft's anti-trust suit.

Blues, I understand your anger, but you are walking a thin and dangerous line here. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You ain't Microsoft.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Blues, I understand your anger, but you are walking a thin and dangerous line here. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You ain't Microsoft.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't. I'm here to see what other affiliate marketing people who make living with the commissions they make, that gets stolen, feel about doing something about it. I won't cut my nose otherwise, they already cut my neck off.

I honestly think such a thing would be as innocent as McAffee is and not much danger involved in distributing it, except that if you are afraid of IdeaLab et.al. After all, they are not Gods and will be beaten at some point. If not by me, by someone else who is right!

-BluesX

How many times do I have to warn the networks, merchants and affiliates that supporting theftware or automating superduper affiliates will bring on a EyeBall war dictated by the online advertising industry. The real looser besides us small time players are the consumers. For years now the consumers are treated like fodder by direct marketers and greedy pseudo merchants. The WAR is escallating as the hijackers start creating scripts that uninstall the competitors product or uninstall the goodguy cleansers like Adaware. The NET result you lame bunch of greedy con men posing as legit businesses will be that a huge majority of Internet users will just in mass install all the Ad blocker Popup blocker cookie crunching defenses to win back the power of their MOUSE CLICK. Consumers 100 =advertisers ZERO. This happened when banner blindness occurred since the folks behind those banners didn't factor in real value at the end of the click. Only individual affiliates are truly able to add value to merchant advertising campaigns...the rest is just spamm and incent spoofery

ABW Ambassador
    What I said was directly related to what you proposed. Spyware/scumware is just that no matter who packages it. Adaware will find yours and remove it just the same as everyone elses. You will become just another problem, not a solution.

I have gotten spam that will "help me stop spam". In my eyes it is just more spam. Worse yet with your proposal, you are deciding to be judge and jury and fix the problem by some narrow means or method that you deem valid. You are even mixing the general problems with scumware with Overture. And to quote you "the traffic monopolizers", so will you attack google? Will you just go willy nilly through every site and company that does not prescribe to your warped view of the online world?

Right now, what you describe makes you the enemy. There is no reason to trust you or want you anymore than any other spyware author. You are not looking to fix/stop/solve the problem, you are looking to warp it to your own ends to benefit yourself.

I hope you the worst and the same fate that will befall all of the scumware authors.

Please, everyone else, this is not the answer, this is not the means in which we can make a change. And yes we can make a change. This is a childish reaction to a serious problem that needs to be publicized and the public needs to be educated - not screwed by someone else.

Chet

We want consumers to get educated to spyware/scumware and all forms of automated adware application threatening to take over their machines and shopping or browsing experiences. Rather than just rank here hoping some consumers take notice that we are the good guys in the EyeBall battle, who hand select merchants that have ethics, ABW should sponsor a forum site for consumers to complain about abusive gorrilla advertisers and adware viruses. If that site takes off due to the real backlash out there by duped consumers these abusers take the heat. We can basically troll that site to pin point who's behind the spywarez -spams -Popups and how to temporarily cure the advertising virus. Even though it would eliminate a lot of our members sites we could put a ABW "Seal of Approval" as a shoppers advocate stating this site is 100% anti-spamm -Anti-theftware and totally free from merchants with abusive privacy violations. This Seal goes for enforcing no popups- popunders and double opt-in mail lists only with a clean bill of health on the merchants displayed. If it means some of our members (merchants and affiliates) will have to make a new site then so be it to get a ABW Seal of Approval". I long ago wanted merchants to just develop web sites that were affiliate friendly with no 800#'s, diversion techniques like e-mail grabbing popups and concentrate strickly on high conversions offerings. They could do the rest of their promotion crappolla after they acquire a new customer and pay us for getting them one.

ABW Ambassador
    If I understand the BluesX Plan, it is to introduce yet another piece of parasiteware into the world.

Why what an unethical, uncrupulous, and vile thing to do.

Please tell me this is a joke, BluesX.

Cedric,

This no joke. The ONLY way to fight scumware is by their own means. Educating customers and publicising an anti-scumware campaign is a total BS and a sure loser.

The only way to stop Microsoft from monopolizing our desktops is to bring a "good" alternative. This isn't a rocket science. The guy takes over everybody's browser and there goes our bread! Your choices are: -Tell everyone to take their browsers back, which means turning them against a music sharing software that they praise,, -or you take over the browsers from the invaders.

What other alternatives do you have and how feasible to execute them? It is very easy to distribute a "scumware in good faith" attaching it to a utility and that's how THEY distributed their virii.

Telling a billion customers to remove this incredible software that brings them free music, looks like a very long shot as far as fighting scumware is concerned. That actually has no value in terms of *fighting* scumware.

And you do not understand that scumware do not need merchants to steal your links? As long as they can steal your links and sell it to someone else, they will do it. If not to merchants, to someone else who will pay for it.

The only way to stop it, is TO STOP IT from ground up. And that IS what I am suggesting. Beat them with their own devices. I am not after anything or any power and your lack of understanding me saying "I will not be a scumware among scumware" is causing all this.

If you all have an effective way of fighting, I'd join you, but I have not seen anything feasible and effective.

-BluesX

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This no joke. The ONLY way to fight scumware is by their own means. Educating customers and publicising an anti-scumware campaign is a total BS and a sure loser.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the only way to fight theft is to steal, the only way to fight murder is to murder? Am I missing something here? Oh yeah, logic and common sense.

By the way morpheus is based on Gnucleus which is free and spyware free and you can also download the superior kazaalite which has no spyware and is much better than morpheus. There are alternatives for people to use. On our blocker script we link to these and stress how spyware causes lockups and crashes on their system (gotta blame those ie crashes on something).

If I ever saw someone talking about the software you linked to (which I am sure I never will), I would warn them to avoid it all costs because it is assoicated with a completely unethical person.

Chet

And the only way to fight theft is to steal, the only way to fight murder is to murder? Am I missing something here? Oh yeah, logic and common sense.

If I ever saw someone talking about the software you linked to (which I am sure I never will), I would warn them to avoid it all costs because it is assoicated with a completely unethical person.

Chet
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahem, stop there now. Do anything you can to tell people to avoid the software I am talking about, but you can shup the f*ck up calling me unethical because I am fighting thieves by forcefully taking back what they stole from me? That is the true ill-logic and that is the true uncommon sense. You are missing a lot, too bad you do not even understand that you are missing everything that is important.

No respect to what you're saying. I wasn't proposing to discuss such an action to start a fight, I only asked for opinions and you idiot come here calling me unethical and take a stand against my personality.
    KNOW YOUR ENEMY.

-BluesX

ABW Ambassador
    >>KNOW YOUR ENEMY.

Oh, I think Chet does. And so do I.

You are proposing to distribute parasiteware. Guess what that makes you? Everything the other parasites are -- including unethical.

And me explicitly and openly stating that THAT is NOT what I am up to, doesn't change a thing? When I talk about scumware, it makes me scumware? Yeah I need to catch the logic and sense too, it seems to be lost here!

-BluesX

The abestbrowser offering would clean all previous crap via adaware and warn of any new trojan/spy or parasiteware installs.

I can not support parasiteware to fight parasiteware ... it is an education issue, not same sh!t different smell (forgive the colloquialism).

Haiko

I can not support parasiteware to fight parasiteware ... it is an education issue, not same sh!t different smell (forgive the colloquialism).

Haiko
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haiko,

I think that is a VERY proper response to what I have suggested. Just what your opinion on THAT MATTER is. Thank You.

-BluesX

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sorry, I thought you were taking the pulse for how many people here would be agreeable to distributing your parasiteware... I think I got the idea from your first message.

That's not "just talking" about scumware.

BluesX,

Once the DB is client side it can be auto updated (as needed). It would be very easy to inform/educate the end users why they should or should not install the new software that would be parasiteware, a trojan or spyware. 99% of the people just download it because they have norton/blackice or other appropriate ... they just don't know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] . If we can educate them ... I, and I am sure many reasonable affiliates, have/would have no problem if the end user cognitively selected to download (eg) limewire ... or any other program that redirects a link ... it is about what the "educated" consumer wants and chooses. Not our decisions nor others!

Haiko

Cedric,

For the 100th time, I said that I am not out to be a parasiteware among the parasiteware, on my ORIGINAL post. I wanted to take a pulse on what would "MY SIDE OF THE BATTLE" think of such an action.

And for the 101st time, I said I am not out to becoma a parasiteware among parasiteware and you refuse to accept that. Why? Why wouldn't you just give a proper response like "I think that would fail to fight parasiteware and do no good to our community" instead of calling me names? You do not know who I am or what I do or where I am coming from. Even when I do mention that I wouldn't want to become a parasiteware , simply because I believe in honor and believe in living with honor, you will go on blaming me for trying distribute a parasiteware for my own benefits? Shame on you. Shame on you.

-BluesX

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You do not know who I am or what I do or where I am coming from. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. We *don't* know who you are or where you are coming from. That's why we find it hard to trust you when you say:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And for the 101st time, I said I am not out to becoma a parasiteware among parasiteware and you refuse to accept that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No reason to.

Haiko,

I tend to agree with that. But I do believe that it is VERY hard to educate MASSES than it is to FOOL them. Parasiteware has chosen to do the latter. You understand tht when we chose to educate the masses, we still need to stuck together, help eachother instead of attacking eachother, to get things done, to create our education media and to create a very strong distribution channel to execute it.

I am 100% with you if we have this bond. I am 100% dedicated to help execute a plan that will hurt parasiteware and possibly take them out. I 100% support everyone who want to fight parasiteware and refuse to live in parasiteware's shadow. I am 100% open to any suggestion that would put me in good use for this fight.

I am only sick and tired of my friends attacking my personality because I bring ideas that they have never thought of! Without giving a thought to what I am saying, without even reading/listening what I am saying, I am blamed for being unethical etc etc... which forces me to think that there can not be a "One Voice" and "One Action" coming out of this group of affiliate marketing community against parasiteware, or against anything else that hurt us.

Can there be "One Voice" and "One Action" now?

-BluesX

Eaglefire and Cedric:

You guys stop taking "Paranoidware". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It is very obvious that I can not be a parasiteware because I do not have a distribution channel to reach hundreds of millions, nor have I the final version of that "virus" I mentioned. I only have a prototype and it is not certain that I can get it to execute the way *we* may want to (harmless to anyone but to ones we want to harm)

This is very straightforward. I came here, aked the community what the thought on such a thing would be. I was expecting responses like "No, I would definately not go that way" or "Yes, that is an interesting idea and I might be interested in participating in discussing such an action".

What makes you choose to ignore my consistent statements that I am not out to fool you to use you for distributing my virus (that would have been very stupid of me!) and start writing scenarios in your minds is, probably the "Paranoidware" that you are taking. Stop it immediately!.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-BluesX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast