View Poll Results: Do you trust free products and services?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 54.55%
  • No

5 45.45%
  • Have never tried anything free

0 0%
    Cool Useful freebies????
    There is a plenty of free tools, services, free ads, etc. I am used to being sceptical about anything free, but maybe I am wrong. Has anyone had any good experience with freebies? Please, share

I have had some luck using free or open source software, web applications etc.
    Some of the free anti- virus is worth looking at.

It's a must to do some research about what others think of the product first.

If something promoted as 'free' is being massively advertised on the web, ppc for example, I avoid it like the plague.
    They will get their money back off you, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    If something promoted as 'free' is being massively advertised on the web, ppc for example, I avoid it like the plague.
    They will get their money back off you, and more...
    Yeah, same with me It looks suspicious if a free product is advertised.

Great point, thanks!

http and a telephoto
    You need an "it depends" option There are "freebies" and there is free stuff and there is open source and they all have different meanings and levels of trust associated with them. Just because something is free doesn't make it good or bad, trustworthy or evil.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I love free things. And sometimes they really are free, even if they are ad supported, or are a somewhat watered down version of the real thing (for paying customers).

But hey, free is free right? There are certainly some services out there that are so useful to me I've even contemplated buying the non-free upgrade!
    Backpack from 37 Signals is one of those...

I'm on the free account now but one of these days I might just whip out the credit card and buy it. But for now, its free and I love it!

--Jason

Thanks to all for their opinions. And, Loxly, thanks for pointing it out for me that I missed one necessary option.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    You need an "it depends" option There are "freebies" and there is free stuff and there is open source and they all have different meanings and levels of trust associated with them. Just because something is free doesn't make it good or bad, trustworthy or evil.
    I agree. I voted yes because this includes "sometimes" whereas no doesn't.

Generally (very generally) the more specific and targetted the free stuff is, the more trustworthy it is. It's the all singing all dancing all pervading free stuff that is the most suspect to me.

I regularly use some great small free apps for very specific purposes.

Same here. I usually don't trust freebies, but sometimes they are useful and legitimate. For instance, eFax and eVoice.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yes, add a "depends" option. It would depend on what the product was and everything surrounding the selling approac and whether I needed to give an email to get the info to the product. Is it "bundled" with other like adware, spyware, toolbars and other spamming junk? Does it show up in a Google search with other people saying "Don't download...". Research before you accept anything as being free and clear.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Complimentary $1000 Home Depot or Lowe's Gift Card - visit today
    Just got this in the mail - it's free - should I click it?

Do you really need to ask? What are you waiting for? Go for it! Let us know what you get with your card. You could also sell it to someone for less than the $1,000 to get the cash. That's what I usually do and then go buy groceries and then hit the electronics stores.

I've had good luck with free trials. There are a lot of times that I am just not sure whether something is what I am really looking for. I've ended up buying scripts after being able to try them free for X days. If I had not been able to do the free trial first, I probably would have moved along to a different site and tried a different product.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread