ABW Ambassador
    I offer this in case it might be a useful starting point for someone else.

A merchant wrote to me this morning offering me an increase in commission if I placed his links more prominently. We had a couple of notes back and forth, but I forgot to mention parasiteware concerns. I wrote one final note to mention it, reprinted here:

------------------

"Sound good so far, but I want to know one more thing:

I want your word that your company does not and will not work with programs that engage in "predatory link placement" - such as Morpheus, WhenU, Gator etc. I am only interested in promoting you if I can be confident that you will NOT allow someone else to hijack commissions by parasitically placing their links on my content or intercepting the traffic I send to you in good faith.

If you want more details about this problem, let me know and I'll send you some links, including a video of Morpheus in action replacing someone else's affiliate link with its own.

For reasons of both ethics and self-defense, I only want to work with merchants who reject that as an acceptable way to do business."

----------------

Feel free to adapt this verbiage for your own use.

More grist for the mill,

Elisabeth Archambault

Affiliate Manager
    Elisabeth,

And, none of the folks you mentioned are in our affiliate program...

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Shawn-Overstock.com ]

Looks Good Elizabeth!! I just sent one too. I used bits and pieces from various posters, hope you all don't mind!!

subject: concerned customer

Dear Sirs,

I am a customer of yours, a working mother and wife of an AFL/CIO union officer.

It has come to my attention that your business is currently listed as an affiliate merchant on this site:

Morpheus Shopping Club http://www.buyersport.com/

I wanted to let you know what the problem is. This site uses "scumware" that steals from other affiliates. Morpheus is scumware and the problem is that it bundles a program that steals affiliates commissions by replacing their ID's with a Morpheus ID.

That's why I would like to bring your attention to Morpheus -- a file-sharing application that over-writes affiliates link ID's with it's own and effectively hijacks affiliate commissions. Not only does it steal from Affiliates, it steals from Merchants as well by attaching it's own affiliate ID to a merchants URL even when the user types it in directly.

The "new" version claims to have fixed this problem but that is simply NOT true. Morpheus "claims" to have millions of users but I would remind them -- the AFL/CIO also has millions of members -- who voice their displeasure with their dollars and in the media. I shop with your company and so do my other Union Brothers and Sisters. We make our voices known by the dollars we spend and in our company watch alerts.

The problem as I see it is this, do you really want to be associated with a dishonest person/company?

I am not one of your affiliates but never the less, I am a working mother whose income is derived in part from affiliate sales. It saddens me that a company such as yours, who has worked hard to have a good reputation, would risk that good name with associations with thieves.

Thank you for your time,
    Vicki ---

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Vicki ]

If I may ...

finger by finger nothing but as a cohesive unit, in this case a fist, we can, and do ... break through any block ... in the past and will continue to!

The letters are great Elizabeth and Vicki, but we can achieve sooo much more together ... this I promise, as we have thwarted many existing and possible offenders ... we are the counterbalance.

Affiliate Power! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread