ABW Ambassador
    christianbook.com - 45 minute tracking duration
    Anne mentioned Christian Books in this thread so I checked them out a bit.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=78537

From the FAQ:

How does Christianbook.com track users that come from my web site?
    http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...31452&sp=55462

When a customer clicks to Christianbook.com via a link that you have created using our Affiliate Link Builder, Christianbook.com will track any merchandise purchases that a customer makes so that we can credit your account appropriately. This tracking activity persists until the customer closes his or her browser. Tracking will also cease if the customer does not click on a link at Christianbook.com for 45 minutes or more.
    That is NOT scriptural. And I've got a shelf full of bibles full of scripture references and quotes to *prove* that it isn't.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    This tracking activity persists until the customer closes his or her browser. Tracking will also cease if the customer does not click on a link at Christianbook.com for 45 minutes or more.
    Whew. This is brutal...

Geno

At least there's a clear idea of what the unique content on the page should be:

I would suggest an include file that randomly displays speedreading tips and quick decision making skills.

An occasional quote (attributed to Poopie perhaps) could be added for emphasis - something like:

"Click here and please remember: Sh*# or get off the spot"

In the case of Amazon.com, the referral is only good if a purchase is made during the same visit. /source/
    Is this so? If it is, then that's where CB has probably got the basic idea from...

G.

These are the end times... Could be any second now.

They just want to sell to those that are planing to leave this world.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    i have seen 1/4 of a day but at 45 minutes???
    I would go with Andy's prog

ABW Ambassador
    CB was a perfect fit for one of my new sites. I sent several different emails to the CB affiliate link on their site asking questions about their program, but never got a response back. I figured if they couldn't be bothered to reply to me, I couldn't be bothered putting up their links.

I moved on and found a great niche program that doesn't have as many products but they answer my emails and are nice to work with.

45 minutes? Gee, why don't they make it just 45 secs?

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    This is a letter I just wrote to CBD affiliate program manager after getting thier Monthly Affiliate Newsletter. All the sites "actuall" names have been "purged" to protect the innocent (and keep good with ABW Policy) the point is of course not the sites but that CBD would be STUPID enough to send me this letter with "Good Sites" to emulate and ONLY ONE OF THEM even has CBD links. I am giving them one month and then Moving all my BOOK links to AMAZON (I have a few Trial Amazon links already 63 clicks have resulted in One sale in the last 32 days) BTW I will mention the Leaky Affiliate in another Post.

So I see you were doing Dating and Relationships this month. My website has a section dealing exclusively with staying PURE in a dating relationship so I thought I would check out the websites you said were doing a great job promoting Dating and Relationship Books. I started at the bottom. www.xxxxxxxxxxxx1stsite.com The site was down So I will try it latter. next www.xxxxxxxxx2ndsite.com this is a PARKED SITE and has no ChristianBooks affiliate Links. Next www.ixxxxxxxxxxxx3rdsite.com.com Great site I bookmarked it to learn more. Next was www.xxxxxxxxxxx4th again a good site too bad all the links are AMAZON links and none are yours. Next was www.xxxxxxxxxxxx5thsite.org again another great looking site NO ChristianBooks Links. Begin to get the Picture. I am also Looking at taking down my CBD links. WHY? well I have sent over 300 visitors your way in the last 3 months and have ZERO sales. I think this has to do with your 45 minute cookie. I think the industry standard is 30 days and many have LONGER. Now I realize that your affiliate program is FOCUSED on churches who generally do not click through except when they are actually ready to purchase so the 45 minute cookie is acceptable to them (and most of them probably do not know that they are WAY below industry standard because they are not affiliated to "make money" but to "help out a bit with the church" but I think the Professional Affiliate Marketer who is a Christian also has a lot to contribute towards CBDs continued Growth. I would like you to consider increasing the Cookie to 30 days and see if you can keep more affiliates. BTW www.xxxxxxxxxxx6thsite.com same thing NO CBD links. www.xxxxxxxxxx7thsite.com has thier OWN affiliate program and again I saw NO CBD links. www.xxxxxxxxx8thsite.com is the same way (an affiliate program and NO CBD Links). And lastly www.xxxxxxsssssx9th.com NO CBD links.

I think I have made my point. Please let me know what you plan to do. I realize I am a SMALL Publisher with only 300 hits in 3 months and you may not listen to me but considering of all the places YOU listed as good sites to look at for ways to market Christian Products only ONE of them has a CBD link (and that is only a small banner ad whereas I have Targeted specific Books to each of over 240 pages of content) I think what I said makes SOME sense.
    Thank you.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Kinda reminds me of my youth and going to our local church on Sundays. People would stroll in 10 - 15 minutes after service began, and leave right after Communion. That was about 45 minutes too.

A 45 minute cookie? I'm no industry expert, but that would hit me as a slap in the face -might as well have no cookie at all. BTW, it takes 40 - 45 minutes to make toll house choc chip cookies from scratch!! Maybe they are confused about cookies?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

[QUOTE=...BTW, it takes 40 - 45 minutes to make toll house choc chip cookies from scratch!! Maybe they are confused about cookies?[/QUOTE]
    You need a kitchenaid mixer. I can mix a batch in like 5 minutes, and cook them in another 10-12 mins.

60 day Cookie, 10% commission, excellent support.

Performance Statistics:
    In the Last 30 Days:
    984 total sales for $121,424.18 on 27883 visitors.

30 Day EPC: $45.37 - Click to View EPC Trend Chart
    30 Day Reversal Rate: 0.00% - Trend
    30 Day Conversion Ratio: 3.53% - Trend
    30 Day Average Sale: $123.40 - Trend

Join IBS.com today
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    You need a kitchenaid mixer. I can mix a batch in like 5 minutes, and cook them in another 10-12 mins.
    I am a purist when it comes to cookies. Use a mixer?? Nay I say.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Wink
    45 min. cookie is CB's way of looking out for the spiritual future of their affiliates.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. (Mat 19:24)

Ok, so this is a really old thread, but I just wanted to chime in. CB must have read this post last year and up'ed their duration to 4 hours. All this time I have thought that they had a 30 day cookie, when in actuality they only count sales within 30 days if it was added to the shopping cart within 4 hours of the click.

This is pretty sad. I guess I have learned my lesson this week by not keeping up with affiliate terms of service.

It stinks because I'm making 12% commission which there aren't any merchants that offer the same product selection that has commissions in that range. My sales have tapered off a lot as of late even with more effort put into pushing CB products.

Yikes!
    [b]Logan Thompson[/b]
    [size=-2][url=http://www.loganthompson.me]My Blog[/url] | [url=http://www.twitter.com/drumminlogan]Follow Me on Twitter[/url][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by drumminlogan
    Ok, so this is a really old thread, but I just wanted to chime in. CB must have read this post last year and up'ed their duration to 4 hours. All this time I have thought that they had a 30 day cookie, when in actuality they only count sales within 30 days if it was added to the shopping cart within 4 hours of the click.

This is pretty sad. I guess I have learned my lesson this week by not keeping up with affiliate terms of service.

It stinks because I'm making 12% commission which there aren't any merchants that offer the same product selection that has commissions in that range. My sales have tapered off a lot as of late even with more effort put into pushing CB products.

Yikes!
    Logan,

Contact me, I may be able to help you out.

Thanks,

Hi Andy,

I sent you an email a couple of days ago. Hopefully you receieved it. Thanks for the help.
    [b]Logan Thompson[/b]
    [size=-2][url=http://www.loganthompson.me]My Blog[/url] | [url=http://www.twitter.com/drumminlogan]Follow Me on Twitter[/url][/size]

How Are Affiliate referrals tracked by ChristianBook?
    I hate to bump an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out what the real affiliate arrangement is at ChristianBook.

I've just launched a new directory site and I decided to include ChristianBook and several other merchants whom I haven't worked with before (along with other merchants I've known for years). I've started to draws some traffic into the directory, and several affiliate technologies (Amazon, ShareASale, and GAN) are tracking clicks and sales, and others are tracking clicks but no sales to date (CJ).

However, ChristianBook's reporting system doesn't reflect a single click from my site (not even my own test clicks).

When I wrote to inquire, the affiliate manager acknowledged that their system showed zero clicks from my site. He wrote (in relevant part):

Although all purchases will be credited to your account, referral activity will only track unique visits. This means that when you come to Christianbook.com via an affiliate link, the first visit will be tracked as 1 referral. Any visit recorded after that from the same user/IP address is not re-counted. (This is because of your personal computer's tracking system on the web, for Windows based computers, the application is called "Cookies.") // These methods are standard Affiliate Business models for almost all Affiliate Programs offered on the Internet, with slight variations.
    This sounds like an absolute "first-referrer" policy.But their Affiliate Agreement describes a "last referrer" system:

If the Customer leaves the TCG website and returns to the TCG website during the active affiliate browsing session through the link of another TCG Affiliate, Partner, or other referral source tracked by TCG, the original active affiliate browsing session will end for Affiliate and no further sales will be credited to Affiliate for this Customer.
    Their "Affiliate Program Agreement" also states that affiliates won't get credit for transactions unless they occur within 30 days.

Of course, neither the "absolute first-referrer" policy nor the 30-day limit are meaningful, given that ChristianBook doesn't deliver any persistent cookies. When I cleaned out my cookies, restarted, and visited their site, they delivered four "session-only" cookies (and also caused delivery of "session" cookies from Google, DoubleClick, and Alexa); after knocking around their site for a while, they set two additional christianbook.com cookies, also "session-only."

Bottom line: They aren't tracking properly-configured clicks from my site, so there's no reason for me to make a "test purchase." Bye-bye, ChristianBook.com.

I had a good talk a few years ago with a (former now, I believe) affiliate manager at ChristianBook.com, and it truly is a 45 minute, session-based "first referrer" system. Not by desire, but by technological limitations.

They DO track, but only if you haven't visited their site within the previous 45 minutes. Your click has to be the first click in 45 minutes, and they have to complete the sale before the session times out (presumably 45 minutes after either the click or the last activity).

It's far from ideal (in fact, it's the worst "cookie duration" I know of), but within those constraints it does track and they do pay.

If you have any other choice, I would only use them as a last resort.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

45 min. cookie is CB's way of looking out for the spiritual future of their affiliates.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread