2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs up Informative cookie study done by Ben Edelman
    Nice to see a real study on how the most popular Anti-Adware/Spyware programs treat affiliate network cookies... http://www.vinnylingham.com/specialr...ookiescompared
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    That chart and the details show how many sales (cookies get flagged, users may or may not choose to delete them) affiliates are likely losing at CJ and LinkShare. Maybe if they chose they partners more wisely, from the beginning, they'd be viewed as less threatening and not get flagged (see SAS at bottom of report as suggested proof of that).

Considering I only work with cj and linkshare, maybe its time to start looking elsewhere

Thanks for the great info

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Mike, that's a VERY good study, very good to know.

Considering I only work with cj and linkshare, maybe its time to start looking elsewhere
    With the exception of only a couple of LS merchants, the commission I get per sale from my SAS merchants is considerably higher than most of my others.

That per sale commission amount is a very important number to me, it takes the same amount of time to do up pages for higher ticket, bigger sale items as it does for those that bring in under $2-3 or sometimes under $1 per sale made.

Great article
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Man, that was thorough. Thanks Mike.

Purpose intented was to reinforce my plea for LS and CJ merchants to pay legit domain bound affiliates (rather the Point of sale attack dogs) a per click bonus due to cookie deletion problems. Notice over-all LS and CJ merchnats pay out only 60% of the earned commissions due to cookie washing & deletion. Hey folks... push SAS and especially Microsoft "OneCare" and leave promoting network cookie killers in the Anti-??? whatever marketplace off your sites. Sadly Sunbelt dropped the cookie education ball on their programs.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Ben was saying about this thread and LS using first party cookies for later day tracking:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=23927

"This feature, if confirmed, is a valuable bonus to LinkShare affiliates, above and beyond what some other networks currently can offer."

Maybe that is something to be looked into. Cookie experts can comment.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Interesting info.

I heard of a few affiliates mentioning using ClickBank as their sole avenue in their aff marketing. I never knew that they were that big

great report, but I missed one stat....what is the percentage of computers are using ad blocking technology and where does AOL and other isps fit into this issue, with any such blocking they may have in place automatically for their millions of users.

Mrbshouse, you're right to ask how many users are using which anti-spyware programs -- because that's a crucial step in determining the net effects of the programs. If a program deletes lots of cookies, but has tiny market share, it's not likely to cauise much harm to affiliates, networks, or merchants.

I attempt to address this quesiton in my Estimation of Anti-Spyware Programs' Market Shares appendix (linked from the main article). But it's not easy. I describe the several different sources I reviewed, and the reasons why it's hard to compare their numbers and estimates ("security distributor" software sold at retail, versus downloads from intermediaries, versus installed base numbers self-reported by vendors). Ultimately I do my best to produce estimates I think are reasonable -- but there's room for others to disagree and to suggest alternative numbers of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    A bit over 1% of affiliates we contact in our recruiting campaigs - asking them to join our programs (most of which are at ShareASale) - respond: "Thank you, but we only work with CJ, LinkShare and Performics. If you ever put up at program on any of these, feel free to contact us"

Now I know where to send them to.

Thanks, Mike! Thank you, Ben!

Geno

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov

A bit over 1% of affiliates we contact in our recruiting campaigs - asking them to join our programs (most of which are at ShareASale) - respond: "Thank you, but we only work with CJ, LinkShare and Performics...
    That tells me those are affiliates that you do not want and SAS would not let in. They work only with the parasite-ridden networks for a reason. I am happy to hear that this number is 1%. I would think it would have been higher.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I don't know Scoot - from what I read here it sounds like a little over 1% offer that response. There may be a higher actual percentage but just over 1% actually respond with that answer. Others may not offer that information?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Thank you for passing that along Mike. Interesting report.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    I don't know Scoot - from what I read here it sounds like a little over 1% offer that response. There may be a higher actual percentage but just over 1% actually respond with that answer.
    Could be so. Some may not reply at all...

Thumbs up Cookie Report
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the positive feedback so far - we're thrilled with the response that we've gotten so far - Ben certainly has produced a great report.

I think I should make mention of the fact that one of the reasons for commissioning the report, was that internally, our business was pretty much focused on the top few networks, as mentioned in the posts above.

As our business needed to expand, we were interested in which networks offered the best opportunities for us - this report helped us immensely internally in deciding on our strategy forward.

I have posted my comments around the report here : http://www.vinnylingham.com/2006/09/...-programs.html

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyLingham
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the positive feedback so far - we're thrilled with the response that we've gotten so far - Ben certainly has produced a great report.

I think I should make mention of the fact that one of the reasons for commissioning the report, was that internally, our business was pretty much focused on the top few networks, as mentioned in the posts above.

As our business needed to expand, we were interested in which networks offered the best opportunities for us - this report helped us immensely internally in deciding on our strategy forward.

I have posted my comments around the report here : http://www.vinnylingham.com/2006/09/...-programs.html
    The problem of cookie washing (deletion) came from the antics of rogue Super affiliates using BHO infestation schemes to popup Ads, set cookies and steal commission or double dip the merchants. The popup part scared the crap out of the shopper victims and thus was born a new era or Anti-??? whatever programs using scare marketing practices. Amazing too was many of these companies were the actual Spyware?adware perps playing both sides of the fence.

I sure couldn't thwart the antics of the cookie stuffers with my Safe Haven Network model www.ecomcity.com/safehaven-network.htm but I could make it illegal to block/blank affiliate link codes. Hidden benefit was it also eliminated any chance for the merchant to not report all sales and for shoppers to not have cookies turned on... The cart return day cookie could be washed as applies to all existing networks.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    This report alone paid for my ABW membership

Very informative and helpful.

Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread