Well...good news and bad news..
    So, I ended up releasing a press release a little while ago to get a little more exposure to one of my top performing sites:http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=77429

I got some back links, yada yada, but then I got a call today that wasn't expected....an associate producer from the Travel Channel TV show called "World's Greatest" called me about an opportunity to feature my site in one of his segments in the coming months. Albeit, he was still in a research phase, but he talked about setting up cameras at my "facility" to see how it all works... lol

I really regretted (and I mean this in a BIG way) it, but I had to pass him off to the parent company to see if they have more luck (considering the only facility I have is my apartment).

This is one of those times I wish I were a merchant more than an affiliate... Maybe I'll still get plugged somehow (I can dream)!

mmm I would have agreed and then went out and rented some retail space, the advertising you would recieve, could of been great!

Great job with that press release! Did you write it yourself? or did you have a PR service write it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    mmm I would have agreed and then went out and rented some retail space, the advertising you would recieve, could of been great!
    I know, right? Some of my friends and family said the same...hold 'em off for a while and go put something together.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by felit0
    Great job with that press release! Did you write it yourself? or did you have a PR service write it for you?
    Just wrote it myself..nothing fancy. Brief and to the point (took all of a day I think).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Lightbulb
    I got calls from Germany and the UK, plus a PR & specialty film/TV production company in NYC 3 weeks ago. Seems they came upon a section of my site devoted to Musclecars www.get-in2.com/musclecars/ and wanted me & my Brother to coordinate filming the World famous http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/ as the site impressed them more then any others. Promise was to give free Press Releases mentioning the site and film/Photo shots for my brother's buddies who own a stable of musclecars and offshore racing boats.

Wined and dined and got the film crew into private garages and car clubs before the Dream Cruise. They got VIP treatment right down to Golf Carts and filmed rides all during the event. General and Public state sponsored TV coverage followed in Europe. Unfortunately, other then sharing the great time and rubber burning rush, not one PR Press release or backlink spiff come my way for the effort... were-as The Woodward Dream Cruise site jumped to a PR7 with millions of hits.

Next time I'll bring a lawyer to the first meeting and get cross promotion deals in a contract form.... then stick the promoters with the food and bar bills
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have done a PRnewswire before for one of my old companies and we did not got no calls from the Travel Channel or what not. But it was more of winning an award in Houston.

Congratz for getting the attention.

lol - that sucks Mike. Got the raw end of that deal.

I'm hoping that if the merchant gets the airtime...maybe I'll get rewarded somehow...but definitely don't have my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    I have done a PRnewswire before for one of my old companies and we did not got no calls from the Travel Channel or what not. But it was more of winning an award in Houston.

Congratz for getting the attention.
    Thanks! I'll chalk it up as a fluke..but the other stuff turned out pretty well. Got some useful backlinks...and a nice link from the actual merchant for the promotion i'm running.

MoneyBusiness,

On what did did you do your PR? Is there an optimum time to release it. I know that Friday is not ideal as online visitors are not in the mood to read news on Friday or as the weekend approaches..

ABW Ambassador
    That's cool. I actually turned down some free TV last year. I just have a regular coupon/deal site and they wanted to fly in a camera crew from half way across the country and spend 12 hours+ doing a story on my site. When I had local TV, it took them less than half an hour to setup, film, ask me questions and go. I think they were a little confused as to what I do after explaining it to them a few times. I think they also wanted to touch on people starting buinesses on their own, some kind of angle like that.

Sounds like a great ego massage to me

I've never had anything similar, but am always tickled by messages that refer to "Your team", "Your ******* department", "Could you pass this onto your head of ****" and similar - then again, maybe I'm easily flattered.

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    MoneyBusiness,

On what did did you do your PR? Is there an optimum time to release it. I know that Friday is not ideal as online visitors are not in the mood to read news on Friday or as the weekend approaches..
    Ohh, I don't know much about PRs. Learned enough to have some kind of angle (sweepstakes in this case) before releasing one. I ended up releasing it on the 5th of this month (Tuesday I think).

Having the sweepstakes running during this time has been great. Have already had like 3k signups (can't wait to market to these people), lots of tell-a-friend referrals, and bookmarks. Sales have risen (a little), but it's hard to tell if that was the reason. Will have to wait longer to find out how much it has helped.

Hope that helps!

edit: it was with PRWeb.com by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    Sounds like a great ego massage to me

I've never had anything similar, but am always tickled by messages that refer to "Your team", "Your ******* department", "Could you pass this onto your head of ****" and similar - then again, maybe I'm easily flattered.

haha yeah. I can tell you it was fun for an hour or so...then I realized I was still stuck in a full-time job and will probably not see anything from it! lol..

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    That's cool. I actually turned down some free TV last year. I just have a regular coupon/deal site and they wanted to fly in a camera crew from half way across the country and spend 12 hours+ doing a story on my site. When I had local TV, it took them less than half an hour to setup, film, ask me questions and go. I think they were a little confused as to what I do after explaining it to them a few times. I think they also wanted to touch on people starting buinesses on their own, some kind of angle like that.

That's what these guys wanted to do (fly in some cameras etc). They were still researching...but couldn't help but tell them I'm not quite the guy they're looking for (unless they wanted to film a walkthrough of my dirty apartment).

Sounds like you've had a good experience though...bet your were nervous on camera... I'd be.

ABW Ambassador
    That one I turned down because of some of the side angles they wanted to take and part of it was I didn't want to spend half a day with it.

I did have good experience with local TV. When I first tried it, I thought they just might run a report on my site or something. But the very first one, they called me in the morning, asked some questions and then said they can have a crew over in a few hours. I was like, damn, didn't expect that. Desk was a mess, I was half asleep and then kind of excited. So I was a little nervous but when they actually were filming and stuff, it went great. Then when they showed it on air, it was perfect. They edited so it was very easy to understand. In one instance they would say (me) gets deals and coupons from merchants and he puts them on his site, cut to film showing my hotmail popping up from Staples.com. It was nice. Last year was my first national, which was cool. It's good way to get exposure, it's free and I like adding any media attention to my site.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    It's good way to get exposure, it's free and I like adding any media attention to my site.
    Oh man, I can only imagine how much exposure you got!

I sat at my desk today daydreaming, thinking about the thousands and thousands of visitors and the branding that being on the Travel Channel would bring.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, maybe you should have done post #2

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Good news
    Whoa - great opportunity MB. Sorry you couldn't capitalize on it.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

...they came upon a section of my site devoted to Musclecars www.get-in2.com/musclecars/ an...
    They must have one hell of a muscle PC to have gotten that page to load.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Geezis - even had to reboot after that :flustered:
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Call them back, meet with them at your new office.

Seen a few commercials on tv lately for these people, perhaps you have too www.intelligentoffice.com

Don't know who they are, how much or anything but, your associate producer won't know, and might not even care.

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    Seen a few commercials on tv lately for these people, perhaps you have too www.intelligentoffice.com
    great idea for a small company.. they should have an affiliate program

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread