Internet Cowboy
    Shoe Affiliates Read This!
    Today yet ANOTHER of my merchants has gone crazy and shut down their affiliate program because they are scared that their affiliates are in competition with them in the PPC space. The merchant is MukluksCanada.com at SAS. Last season I rocked with this program, sent them LOTS of sales all from legit PPC and SEO work. I did not bid their trademarks, not like they really have any. Mukluks is not a trademarked term...than I know of anyway.

In case you don't know. Mukluks are a boot, generally with some fur and beads on it and generally made utilizing mocassin construction as the original Mukluks were made. The dictionary says they are
    "A soft boot often made of reindeer skin or sealskin and worn by Eskimos."

In every case like this, there is usually a silver lining and there is here too. In years past, finding a decent selection of these type of boots at a merchant that paid decent for shoes was tough, but this year this is going to be a hot style and EVERYONE is getting them.

No matter who your favorite shoe merchant is, Shoebuy has them, Zappos has them and so will most everyone else who has boots.

This is a call to action to all shoe affiliates, especially PPC shoe affiliates to advertise Mukluks stronger and harder than ever. This will do two things:

1. It will put money in your pockets because Mukluks are a perennial bestseller
    2. It will show this clueless merchant who shut down his program that affiliates can be his best friend or his worst nightmare.
    You might ask why I am posting this and stirring up a lot of competition for myself in this space? Well, I am just vendictive enough to do it if I can be a help to my fellow affiliates at the same time. I want this guy to see a sea of Mukluks affiliates coming out of the woodwork. For any merchant to think that they own a PPC space is stupid and I would love nothing more than for this guy to learn this the hard way.

For those of you who have not promoted Mukluks in years past, they are a hot item. Get the pages up now and when the snow hits watch the sales soar!!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have been reading that quite a few merchants are either greatly restricing affiliates or closing shop cos of PPC and SEO competition.
    If they are making the sale at the end of the day (eventhough at a higher cost than themselves), they are STILL making the sale as opposed to their competitors!!
    Scooter, I think u can just drive your traffic through another merchant program and I think you have already done that.

The whole point is for us to drive them traffic...PPC drives traffic and it is traffic that they didn't have to pay for except for whatever commissions come of it. Seems like a fair trade.

Quote Originally Posted by ADesertRose
    The whole point is for us to drive them traffic...PPC drives traffic and it is traffic that they didn't have to pay for except for whatever commissions come of it. Seems like a fair trade.
    Sometimes I wonder if some merchants can't handle all the traffic?
    (I could be wrong on that -- it's just a conjecture -- one of those wild ideas )

It's similar to cases where if an affiliate makes a bunch of sales the merchant's monetary status takes a dip (low funds) if the merchant is not on autodeposit.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Just another case of a merchant who doesn't get it.

Mukluks.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...D:en&q=mukluks

They should want their affiliates bidding on them. Already plenty are. I would rather have the sales for myself then off to the competition.

PPC is fine as long as it is done in a right manner. Bidding on trademarks is a definate NO NO.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    It's amazing how ignorant some merchants can be ... they're in business to make sales. SALESPEOPLE (web masters) bring in SALES. What's so hard to figure out? This happens in B&M stores, too. I've seen many owners cut commission rates if a salesperson is making what the owner perceives to be "too much money." It's ludicrous. If the salesperson is making that much $$, the owner is killing but all they see is someone "getting rich off of them" which is absolutely absurd and the height of moronic greed.

Unc, I like your vindication strategy. Hope you make twice as much this year selling mukluks. Maybe send the merchant a link to this thread which would probably make you feel even better. :-)

Have fun selling mukluks everyone. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    "Bidding on trademarks is a definate NO NO."

Not all the time. Some merchants allow it for good reasons. Depends on the merchant.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Scooter--I like your style!!

because they are scared that their affiliates are in competition with them
    There is now a new brand called "Mukluks", which will only bring 100,000 more pages to compete with them.

They should take it from wherever they can get it now.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

zappos is almost out! 6pm has some. OH, thanks!

Internet Cowboy
    Zappos has a Minnetonka Mukluk with Rabbit fur on it that will be a hot seller this season. It is at the $130 price point which is good.

Get those Mukluks pages made and get them in Adwords while the bids are cheap. If you can get in and get a good CTR established, when the season hits you will still be able to keep your bids at a reasonable amount.

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    PPC is fine as long as it is done in a right manner. Bidding on trademarks is a definate NO NO.
    I don't believe I ever advocated bidding on trademarks...I simply said ppc will send them traffic. Mukluk is the type of shoe, so if someone creates a line and the name of them is "mukluk" can it just erase the fact that this is a common usage word and now noone can use it?

Do men really wear these? The shoebuy boots have men and women, but the look identical. Is it a mistake?

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Do men really wear these? The shoebuy boots have men and women, but the look identical. Is it a mistake?
    No it is not. Men do wear them, though they are much more popular for women.

can it just erase the fact that this is a common usage word and now noone can use it?
    Some merchants seem to think so. (e.g. classmates)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    No it is not. Men do wear them, though they are much more popular for women.
    Come to think of it. I think these are the ski boots the guy in Dumb and Dumber had on. I knew I had seen them somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Come to think of it. I think these are the ski boots the guy in Dumb and Dumber had on. I knew I had seen them somewhere.
    I hate to be caught wearing that and have somebody say "Isn't that boots from dumb and dumber". I think it would look hot for a lady but for a guy, not really my taste.

Internet Cowboy
    There are two customers to target here. The one who wears them for fashion, 100% of those will be women. The other is the person who wears them because they are WARM...some of those will be men. My guess is 80% will be fashion-motivated purchases.

Curious, if this is not too compromising. How many clicks on something like this with the keyword [mukluk boots] before you get a sale?

Internet Cowboy
    I have a 3% +/- CR on these terms.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread