Question Any useful info about sending newsletters?
    Hey! Can anyone suggest any articles, resourses, threads about sending newsletters. Like when it is better to send, what it should consist of, what it should look like, your own experience, etc (like in this thread).

I plan to devote more time to newsletters (esp. to coupon codes newsletters, i.e. those which offer discounts).

Thanks for any help...

Ooh, i second this information. We are scheduled to sent out our first affiliate newsletter next week. We heard from our Linkshare account services people that Tuesday's and Thursdays have the best open rate for newsletter emails... but we only have a few hundred affiliates right now, so im not too worried.

Any TIPS?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler... Bueler....?

OK, I found some info and want to share as I see that many people are interested in this subject.

This is like a digest of what I have read + resourses:

Most recipients of corporate newsletters expect to receive them during the heart of the business day, say 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Promotional and consumer ecommerce emails might be appropriate in the evening

Subject lines are one of the most important components of a successful promotional or newsletter email. This article outlines six principles and 15 tips to help you write subject lines that produce higher open and click-through rates.

One of the crucial elements of an email marketing campaign is a clear call to action.

* Lay out exactly what you want the recipients of your message to do, and
    * design the message to make that path clear for the recipient, and easy to follow.
    * Don't distract with too many links or offers

Using HTML messages to allow for text formatting, multiple columns, images, and brand recognition is growing in popularity and is widely supported by most email client software. However, most SPAM is also HTML-formatted as well; permission-based and SPAM HTML messages can often be difficult to differentiate in the mind of the recipient. If you do send HTML, it is important to always send a plain-text alternative message (also called text/HTML multi-part MIME format).

The goal is to create a dialogue with your customers through messages tailored to several things: their individual needs and interests, what products they purchesed in the past (up-selling), other related products you offer that they might benefit from (cross-selling), their budget, etc. Creating this dialogue requires you to know a lot about your members. You can find out by

* tracking and analyzing their behavior and by
    * asking them

...avoid conducting major email marketing campaigns during December, January, July, and August.

Show your customers your authentic concern. Relationship is the key to repeat sales. "Letters" are much more effective at establishing relationships than "ads" or sales copy. The stronger your relationships with your customers, the less price-sensitive your market will be.

Most of these extracts refer email marketing in general, not sending affiliate marketing in particular, but there are some conclusions I arived at and that's what I am going to implement:

1. The letter mustn't be too long or overburdened with links/references;
    2. It is good to ask the recipients questions, email campaign should be held in the form of a dialogue and you should implement the changes your recipients suggest;
    3. There must be some clear call to action in the letter;
    4. Imply some slight changes and see which results are better;
    5. Share your experience

ABW Ambassador
    Newsletters
    We started a newsletter focused on logistics last July so I can probably give you some insight as to what to expect.

Regardless of what Linkshare or others seem to say, when people open newsletters is pretty much dependent on what the target audience does for a living. We've tested this and have seen a variety of results. If your target audience is the stay at home mom or dad, you can expect them to be opened at any time. Ours are geared to professionals and we see the highest open rates based upon the type of job they have. Keep in mind we're targeting logistics - airlines, truckers, logistics companies, shippers, etc. Shippers (not just people in a traffic dept, but anywhere in the organization), tend to open them on Monday mornings. Those who are carrier related tend to open on Saturdays and Wednesdays. I have no idea as to why on Wednesday. So the best thing to do is test as we did. You should shoot for a 35% open rate as that is considered good.

Subject matter is very important if you want the newsletter to open. Scan thru the spam you get to see what type of subject titles you don't open.

Our contact list started with just accumulating names and email addresses. Thought we'd probably only get a 10% open rate on those but they seem to have a 20-25% open rate continually. Keep adding to the list but continually get targeted individuals. Permission based is the best contact list.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks for sharing, Bob

I already realized that the best thing is personal experience. No one will tell you what exactly you should do, but at least they can direct you

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMerchant
    Ooh, i second this information. We are scheduled to sent out our first affiliate newsletter next week. We heard from our Linkshare account services people that Tuesday's and Thursdays have the best open rate for newsletter emails... but we only have a few hundred affiliates right now, so im not too worried.

Any TIPS?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler... Bueler....?
    Its good to hear that they even provided a best open rate for Newsletter (Tuesday and Thursday). This is valuable information especially for those who are just starting their newsletter program. Thanks for the input.

Make sure you're double opting everyone in and that you're compliant with state and federal regs. Spend the cash to use constant contact or another application like that, rather than just using the ol' BCC field. Deliverability will be much better and you'll have better control over the process.

InternetRetailer is doing a transactional mail webinar on February 20th. Check out their site for info. Might be worth your time.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Another thing that is very important is to count all the incoming clicks from that specific newsletter ad. Even better is clikthroughs AND sales.

Thanks to all for your help!

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    These are all great tips in terms of sending general newsletters. I think when you're talking about sending affiliates a newsletter, there are a few unique things to remember:

1. Most affiliates receive some newsletter or other email communication from each of their programs at least once a month. So figure if your average affiliate is signed up with (not even active with) 50 programs, their inbox is being flooded with 50+ emails every month (and more likely over 100). If you keep that in mind, figure that you want to only email them newsletters as often as necessary. I think once in the beginning of the month is probably most appropriate.

2. Like what was said before, keeping things short and sweet is necessary. You want to talk about the month's special promotions and coupon codes, any program updates such as a commission change, data feed integration, new platform, etc. and also about any new products or top products the program is now pushing. This is information that will help the affiliate and will be useful for them to know. They are less interested in the fluff that you might find in an e-commerce email.

3. In another thread on ABW, someone mentioned the From address and subject line of affiliate newsletters and how you should mention the affiliate program name. For example, make sure the FROM address is "Company X Affiliate Program" so the affiliate knows that this is an affiliate program newsletter and not just a person they don't recognize or the company itself (it can be confused with an e-commerce email or some junk mail they don't think they subscribed to).

Just a few tips I've learned along the way.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread