Big Betty & ActivePerl
    I had BettyMills running fine and decided to move hosts. It timed out running make.pl in the browser as on the old host. I ran make.pl on my PC using ActivePerl but the data.db produced is smaller than before. It's 109,913KB and when I upload and go to my domain I get error:
    /home/domain/public_html/cgi-bin/dyse/bettymills/data/data.db: db_find_data(item:names): unexpected type
    Hosting tech has me uploading the data.db file again as it appears to them to be corrupted.

What I am wondering is did made.pl finish? I can't tell for sure as the DOS prompt just disappears. I ran it earlier and it only yielded about 90,000KB. I find all the other dyse merchants easy compared to Big Betty.

FTP upload the data.db and cfg.db files using BINARY transfer mode. They are binary files.

You can check the log file (*-log.txt) to see if the script finished successfully.

When running from Windows, instead of double-clicking the make.pl file to run it, you can also open a command window (Start > Run... > cmd) and cd to the directory where make.pl is located then run make.pl (perl make.pl). See MS-DOS tutorial.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

FTP upload the data.db and cfg.db files using BINARY transfer mode. They are binary files.
    Yes this is default for WS_FTP Pro unless you exclude the file type in the options and then it is ASCII.

When running from Windows, instead of double-clicking the make.pl file to run it, you can also open a command window (Start > Run... > cmd) and cd to the directory where make.pl is located then run make.pl (perl make.pl).
    I re-ran it using the command window and I was able to see that it completed 100% with 1 warning which I couldn't see.

It yielded cfg.db , check.txt, and data.db (109,913KB) which when uploaded to the server shows a file size of 109,788 KB. It always fails and has to be resumed. This time at about 50% complete. My old host did not have that problem. I ask hosting tech about some kind of possible time out on uploads, but we are having a communications problem. I believe that the problem is in the upload.

To read the warning, open the log file (double-click it and it should open in Notepad editor), and use the Find command (Edit > Find...) and search for keyword "warning" (without quotes). If it's a warning about no key found, then put your key file in the same directory where make.pl is. If it's a warning about a new version of DySE::BettyMills being available, then download it and use it.

Try zipping the data.db and cfb.db file and uploading those zip files into your cgi-bin/dyse/bettymills/data directory. Make sure the file sizes are correct. Then have your hosting company unzip the files for you (if you have SSH access, then login and unzip the files yourself).

Try using a different FTP program. For example, try uploading using MS-DOS ftp. Open an MS-DOS command window (Start > Run... > cmd). Go to the directory where your *.db files are located on your computer (to change to a different directory, type command: cd DIRECTORYNAME). Run the MS-DOS ftp program (type command: ftp). Open the ftp connection to your host (type command: open HOSTNAME). Answer the user name and password prompts (note: the password prompt is silent and does not echo back what you type, not even *). Once logged in, you can use the following commands to navigate to directories on the server: pwd (to display name of currently selected directory on server), ls (to list contents of current directory), dir (to get detailed list of contents), cd DIRECTORYNAME (to change to a different directory on server). FYI, the equivalent command to navigate locally on your computer are: !dir (detailed directory listing; the ! is required), !dir/w (for abbreviated listing), lcd (short for "local cd"; displays local directory name), lcd DIRECTORYNAME (to change local directory). Navigate to your data directory on the server. Switch to binary mode (type command: binary) (FYI, the command to switch to ASCII mode is: ascii). Upload each *.db file (type command: put FILENAME). (FYI, the command to download a file is: get FILENAME). After uploading finished, list the directory (type command: dir). Verfiy the sizes. Close the connection and exit the ftp program (type command: bye).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per:David Cusimano

David you da man!
    If it's a warning about a new version of DySE::BettyMills being available, then download it and use it.
    Warning was for a new version of view.pl (060610) This was not the problem.
    Try zipping the data.db and cfb.db file and uploading those zip files into your cgi-bin/dyse/bettymills/data directory. Make sure the file sizes are correct. Then have your hosting company unzip the files for you (if you have SSH access, then login and unzip the files yourself).
    I used FileZilla to ftp the data.zip and then used cPanel to extract, and boom it works.

Thanks for hanging with me. Your scripts have the best documentation and support of any script that I have ever used.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread