Investigating Google ads on typosquatting and domain parking pages
    I'm currently conducting an investigation of Google ads appearing on typosquatting and domain parking web pages. I'm looking to speak with advertisers who may be affected by this practice.

If you are a Google advertiser and would be willing to speak with me briefly, please email me to let me know how and when I can reach you.

No special expertise with typosquatting or domain parking is required or expected.

Thanks,

Ben Edelman

Considering Google has a special adsense service for this I don't see what you are investigating.

ABW Ambassador

Sounds like he's investigating fraud with advertisers taking it in the shorts.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Here's what I just sent Ben via his contact form:

Ben: I saw your post on ABestWeb and, like others, I am confused but intrigued as to exactly what you are "investigating."

I know that I am getting some AdWords clicks from "typo" and "parked" domains (which I assume includes domains people acquire specifically to exploit the domain name and related search terms).

I assume that what you are asking is, are some (or many, or most) of these folks engaging in click fraud or other types of fraud or deception?

I haven't done any kind of systematic study, but I do know that I have had legitimate product sales originating from AdWords clicks from "parked domains" and "search domains." In other words, it's not ALL fraud.

Some clarification might help you get better feedback from ABW members. One good idea might be to ask if you might be able to get access either to analysis reports or perhaps some raw web LOGS from one or more merchants with active AdWords campaigns, to analyze whether the post-click activity patterns (including conversions) are significantly different for these 'specialty' domains.

Another issue might be whether there are other "indicia of fraud" from some of these folks, such as a substantially increased rate of "referrer masking" to conceal the true source of the click.

I do know that the cleverer fraudsters do a fairly good job of replicating "post-click" activity (e.g. clicking around on the site to look like "real" customers, but of course never actually buying anything), but in the past I've found ways to identify fraud even in that scenario.

I'm currently conducting an investigation of Google ads appearing on typosquatting and domain parking web pages.
    He is not saying click fraud that might be going on, but apparently he doesn't agree with ads appearing on typo domains and domain parking web pages. As stated above:

http://www.google.com/domainpark/

Google allows domain name parking, and as far as I know typo domains are not against TOS as long as the content is not against TOS.

AdSense® for domains allows domain name registrars and large domain name holders to unlock the value in their parked page inventory. AdSense for domains delivers targeted, conceptually related advertisements to parked domain pages by using Google’s semantic technology to analyze and understand the meaning of the domain names. Our program uses ads from the Google AdWords™ network, which is comprised of thousands of advertisers worldwide and is growing larger everyday. Google AdSense for domains targets web sites in over 25 languages, and has fully localized segmentation technology in over 10 languages.
    Now if this person is investigating click fraud that is a big thing to take on and one Google works hard at preventing. However, as most know it's nearly impossible to eliminate it completely. Whether people use automated programs or real humans to click on ads it's hard to prove and difficult to stop.

IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Whether people use automated programs or real humans to click on ads it's hard to prove and difficult to stop.
    Some bots are doing the clicking?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

its like sedo.com right ?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Complete click cheat traps thwarting any attempt by the Google click fraud team to control. Everyone a 5 million keyword packed directory waiting to drain merchant accounts with low quality traffic. Sure hope the merchants pool together and Class action Google and Yahoo for harboring these click fraud traps.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread