Is this kinda fishy...
    Well, I hate to rant about this... I have one particular program that is not a big profit maker but converts like clockwork.

Today after 200 clicks - not one sale. Now I know I shouldn't be getting too excited at 200 clicks but I am a little concerned.

Thing is, I made a whopping sale yesterday and the paranoia in me is say that today I'm being throttled back for it.

TOL
    Should I, email the AM, or CJ to find out what is going on? The site seems to be running okay. I would make a test purchase, but that is half a day of profit - on a good day.

Or should I just wait a bit more...and ride out the newbie jitters!

My advice is to wait -- I've driven 200 clicks without a sale.

If you don't like my advice, there are plenty of people who will jump in the thread to refute my advice and make ad hominem attacks upon my character -- so you can always listen to them
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

This is not unusual.

I've had merchants convert like wildfire for a few weeks, then couldn't squeeze another nickel out of them on increased traffic for a year thereafter.

In other cases, like you, I've had merchants that converted reliably and consistently for extended periods, then all of a sudden started getting surges of sales in one- to four-hour timeframes, yet nothing else for the rest of the day during peak traffic periods.

Try adding Adsense to your pages; this will help to compensate some for "unusual" (to use a kind term) blackout periods in sales activity.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Nah Rhia,

I'm going to listen to you - atleast until I hit 300 - then I'll be back!

Thank you.

plenty of people who will jump in the thread ...... and make ad hominem attacks upon my character
    So long as you don't work for CJ, odds are against your drawing ire from my end of the table .
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    So long as you don't work for CJ, odds are against your drawing ire from my end of the table .
    I was thinking of applying

Seriously -- are there openings?

Let's see if I could make a spin for LMI -- pay me enough and I'll work at persuading everyone that it's the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jones
    Nah Rhia,

I'm going to listen to you - atleast until I hit 300 - then I'll be back!

Thank you.
    Smart move -- you don't want to be a "trivial whiner."

"Trivial whiners" aren't winners -- yeah, I know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but you need to be savvy about when & where & why you squeak/whine

Otherwise the AM will tend to tune you out.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I've had merchants convert like wildfire for a few weeks, then couldn't squeeze another nickel out of them on increased traffic for a year thereafter.
    Man - that's awful.

Hope it doesn't happen to me on this one...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I don't know if they can "hold back" being in a network. They can reverse sales. Once in a great while the network or a specific merchant fails to track but it is for all affiliates.

What you should check however is the landing page where the link takes the visitor. Are the terms the same? Prices the same? Is there an online chat feature that could syphon off sales now? Those types of things can turn a good converting program into a bad one.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Not uncommon Mr J
    A campaign we have been running for another program we own will generally convert at 4 - 8%. But that is after a year of fine tuning, return visitors, ad tweaking and site redesign.

At first we would sometimes see 400 clicks with only one or two sales. Fortunately we had the budget to work with - so we tuned and tweaked our way ramping up the results. Now 400 clicks will consistently bring 20 - 30 sales with a few brief slowdown periods during the year. I look at results over a 4 - 6 week period and adjust in between as needed.

So don't panic - what you describe is not unusual at all.

Best
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I don't know if they can "hold back" being in a network.
    That was my main concern. But I guess it's not a logical assumption.

What you should check however is the landing page where the link takes the visitor.
    Done. Looks okay. No leaks. Mostly to the home page.

So don't panic - what you describe is not unusual at all.
    When I think about it statistically - I guess it's not unusual. But yesterday was my best day and today one of my worst, so it seemed like quite a coincidence.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    the reality of marketing
    MJ - whether it is online marketing or offline, telemarket or brick and mortar, print promotion or video or internet - you are always going to have great days and dead days.

It's part of business that we never escape. There is NO business of any kind that does not have up and down turns. It's how you handle the downturns that determine longevity.

When you get things up and churning be sure to conserve capital to fund your continued growth and weather slow downs. Keep going, keep trying different things, learn from both mistakes and successes and most of all program your mind to think in terms of years, not day to day.

If you do, you will have an easier time dealing with the challenges of building your affiliate businesses.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

"program your mind to think in terms of years, not day to day."

Great advice.

If not years, then months, weeks or even days will do wonders to removing focus from the small fluctuations.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't know if they can "hold back" being in a network.
    Well it wouldn't be a "native" capability. The Code, when installed properly and without tricks, will track for everybody.

But I just now re-thought about whether it would be *possible* if a merchant found a way to circumvent the normal operation...and came to the conclusion that it IS doable despite network denials. I won't say how or give hints. Crook merchants are ineligible for help.

Still, I wouldn't start suspecting it yet. Natural fluctuation can cause lots of spikes and dips. And, even when the dip has a "cause," it's usually something legit like the merchant screwing up its own site design (or even selling out of The Item you happen to be pushing), rather than fraud.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Mistakes do happen on the merchant cart side. After months pushing a network merchant to explain how my traffic conversion ratio plummeted with me offering up all the likely senerios... WHALLA! They finally find out that 100% of the PayPal add-on payment choice to their cart never reported any sales back to the network. PayPal tags all over their ording pages whacked referral sales while adding sales volume to merchants bank account. Cursory Credit Card test purchases, suggested by the ABWer coverup artists and Charlie bashers, proved nothing amiss.

Merchant never had the sense God gave a goose to verify the order#'s with PayPal payments never shouwed in thousands of referral sales... LOL.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread