Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Post lonelygirl15 is marketing genius
    Article "lonelygirl15 is marketing genius"
    http://www.bloggernews.net/2006/09/l...ng-genius.html

Other articles
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14833068/

Here is one of her videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZN-Wye4rDE

I am not a big fan or youtube but if she has a website, I think the publicity and affiliate marketing potential will be amazing. Companies like GoDaddy should sign her up while she is affordable (cheap) and enjoying the free publicity on MSNBC to CNN.

ABW Ambassador
    They were actually outed a long time ago. Someone pointed out that a fan website was up even before the first videos went up. I think some people didn't want to believe it because most don't like the feeling of being fooled.

Did Lonelygirl15 read

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06...ivative_works/

The link might put a damper on her marketing aspirations:

Not only does YouTube retain the right to create derivative works, but so do the users, and so too, does YouTube's successor company. Since YouTube has all the hallmarks of a very shortlived business - it's burned through $11.5m of venture investment (Sequoia Capital is the fall guy here) and has no revenue channels - this is more pertinent than may appear... [source]
    It's always good to read the agrements with a fine toothed comb
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    She was just an actress, don't think she had any marketing aspirations, she has acting aspirations I was asking about it last month:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...3&page=1&pp=25

When I saw it mentioned in that thread and then elsewhere.

Whatever her asperations were/are the fact that
    "YouTube retain[s] the right to create derivative works ..."[source]
    is another way to say YouTube "Pwns."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I've been following this story on Mashable. Apparently she's going to be on the Tonight Show. I'd say she's doing quite a great job jump starting her acting career.

http://mashable.com/2006/09/14/lonel...-tonight-show/

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    rhia

I have no idea what you're trying to get at. You can upload your stuff to YouTube and they can do with it what they want and since it's your stuff, you can do with it what you want.

If I upload a video, I can upload it anywhere and do with it what I want since it's my video.

It was just a few guys, filmmakers with an idea of doing these video blogs and they hired a couple of actors to perform in them, lonelygirl15 being one of them.

So now what? Who knows what it will lead to for the actors or the people who made them. One person who did YouTube videos got signed up by Carson Daly to a production deal. Some others will have their 15 minutes and fade.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    It would appear so Snib
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    rhia

I have no idea what you're trying to get at.
    My point is I would not upload my original works to any company that would put a legal claim to
    retain the right to create derivative works ...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Benefit to both parties. YouTube is the #1 video site on the internet. So good exposure. If their videos weren't on YouTube, we wouldn't be talking about them now. Good way to get your videos seen and once you upload them, YouTube can do with them what they want but so can you.

Benefit to both parties. YouTube is the #1 video site on the internet. So good exposure. If their videos weren't on YouTube, we wouldn't be talking about them now. Good way to get your videos seen and once you upload them, YouTube can do with them what they want but so can you.
    I see a (legal) problem waiting to happen if in any company's TOS/contract there is a "gotcha clause" that says:
    [this company] retain[s] the right to create derivative works ...
    Beyond that I don't know what to say to you.

I can cite what happened to the members of The Monkees (contracts "Pwned" them) ... something similar happened with Leif Garret (in terms of being screwed by contracts) ... that kind of thing.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, we're agreeing with each other. I posted twice if you upload your videos to YouTube then they can make money from them. They can make t-shirts, make stickers, use your videos to advertise YouTube, whatever. But since they're your videos, so can you. You can take those same videos and put them on your site, upload them to Google, whatever since they're your videos. Uploading to YouTube is basically giving them permission to use them too.

Yes, we're agreeing with each other.
    TrustNo1, is that what you're looking for?

Would you like me to be in total agreement with you and bob my head like an attractive bobblehead?

If it makes you happy, I'll be like and gobble up everything you say (or at least I'll appear to be doing so)

Just don't expect me to sign any contracts
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I was just pointing out that we both agree that YouTube can use your videos for themselves to make money. We both agree on that.

But reading your statements it seems you think that if you upload to YouTube that you can't use your own videos for whatever you want. You can, they're your videos. You don't give up your right to use your own videos for yourself by uploading to YouTube. Most videos even have embed links so you can take them and put them on your own site.

You two should just get a room.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Personally, I think the acceptability of such a clause depends on the video. Them being able to use it would be fine, unless your aim is to make money from that particular video. If you are trying to sell your video, putting it up anywhere for free basically is killing its resale value. And willingly allowing it to be copied would be unbright to say the least.

But if you're after exposure alone, then it makes sense to freely slap it on whatever venue gets the most views.

This girl seems must've taken an Enormous risk posting a little video on youtube...and yet she's actually accomplished something wonderful. Kudos to her! Can't wait to see how far she gets..

ABW Ambassador
    Enormous risk? Huh? Accompished something wonderful? huh?

ABW Ambassador
    Didn't understand that either. The guys making the videos posted it. And she was an out of work actress, so not sure what risk? She probably would have taken any job.

"Bree, aka Lonelygirl15, is "Jessica Rose, a 20-ish resident of New Zealand and Los Angeles and a graduate of the New York Film Academy."

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    ..she was an out of work actress, so not sure what risk? She probably would have taken any job.
    Either way, hats off to her for either being lucky for being at the right place at the right time and getting that job, or hooking up with the right company. From an "out of work" to having millions of fans/followers and definately getting more than 5 minutes of fame.

This is the next big non-life influencing social even after the "She Bangs" dude from American Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Did Lonelygirl15 read

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06...ivative_works/

The link might put a damper on her marketing aspirations:

It's always good to read the agrements with a fine toothed comb
    From the article "The license that you grant YouTube is worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable. "

Definately agree with you Rhia7. Imagine if she could get like 5 cents off every download/view on YouTube and with people like me downloading it after the CNN

Was reading somewhere that she is taking her clips and putting it on another video site so that she can get a royalty. It might be Revver.com. Cashing in

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    This girl seems must've taken an Enormous risk posting a little video on youtube...and yet she's actually accomplished something wonderful. Kudos to her! Can't wait to see how far she gets..
    Don't think the risk was big for her (well, maybe (1)stalkers and (2) hate mail after she came public). As Trust1 mentioned, out of job actress but still a big accomplishment to get this far.

Sorry, it was late and I was being sarcastic. I figured she was probably smart enough to understand what she was doing with her videos. Still happy for her though...don't really get opportunities like that everyday.

Ok here we go as I love this kind of crap:

She is not a marketing genius, the person that sets up a site and registers the domain youtubeslonelygirl15.com (it's still available as of this posting) and sets up a little blog or whatever would be the genius. You can rant on how she is a genius or a fraud. web2.0 at it's best if you have the time.

Free idea
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    "I figured she was probably smart enough to understand what she was doing with her videos." Still being sarcastic? Not her videos. Actress.

nyfalcon, good idea but they registered the domain even before the first videos were going up:

http://www.lonelygirl15.com/

This is where they out themselves by telling everybody what this was all about:
    http://www.lonelygirl15.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36

Here's the link to what I mentioned earlier, about a YouTube star Brookers being signed up by Carson Daly:
    http://www.forbes.com/digitalenterta...13variety.html

after my post I went and tried to register the name on a free blogger account, figure I would get some pin action from traffic or something. I ended up with a web2.0 blog instead. Amazing how one thing takes over the other.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    What's that mean a web2.0 blog? I know blogger has some kind of beta where they're doing something a little differently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast