Purchasing med-high PR domains for other sites
    I've heard of other people doing this: buying domains (usually w/out the site) which have high PR, backlinks, with the purpose of using them to increase the SE popularity of some other site.

Is this a viable way to increase PR, or rankings in search engines for sites?

I've managed to snap up a couple of domains PR3-5 for a few bucks and am trying as we speak (putting relevent content for the site I want to help)...but wanted to see if others do something similar?

if the content isn't great, and the inbound links not relevant to the content on the page, then I assume the PR will quickly decline. I don't trust PR. I have a site with low PR (not affiliate marketing, just an old other site), but it gets tons more hits than another similar site of mine with higher PR.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Thumbs down
    PR isn't worth the pixels it's printed on.

Right now I have some PR0 back pages that rank well, and some decent-PR pages that are nowhere to be found (they're indexed, but lower than #100).

I conclude from this that toolbar PR is utterly irrelevant to SERP rank and is even more fubarred than normal lately.

I work on the assumption that the higher the page rank, the more often Google visits for updates. Other than that, I see no other value in PR.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

I agree with Leader AGAIN

I would like to add that getting a pr 3 or 4 is not hard, If I wanted to make one all I would have to do is link my 30 sites to it. Sell it to someone then pull my links to it. What a business model huh
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Shoot. I've been hearing the same recently. And yeah, the domains I've bought have a lot of incoming links...but they were all low quality. The domains are somewhat aged, but that's about it.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    It is very easy for scammers to buy a fresh domain, and build a fake PR up for it, which disappears just after they sold the domain to some poor unsuspecting sod on eBay.

I think just about anything you buy on eBay related to the web is a ripoff...I've never really seen anything listed there that isn't either 1) buy a billion links for $2, 2) Buy a billion hits for $3 hits 3) or Buy a ready-to-make-you-rich MFA site.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    I think just about anything you buy on eBay related to the web is a ripoff...I've never really seen anything listed there that isn't either 1) buy a billion links for $2, 2) Buy a billion hits for $3 hits 3) or Buy a ready-to-make-you-rich MFA site.
    I've sold a few web sites on eBay for $30 to $100, but I sold two there that were worth something to somebody: an estate-planning-attorney directory site for $4,000 (in 2000) and of course my web-advertising-info site for $175,000 (in 1999).

I've bought a few domains on eBay, never more than $50.

But yeah, there is 99.9% garbage in the web/internet categories on eBay.

Never really tried buying anything from there...simply b/c I never had the patience to weed through it all (i'm sure you could find some gems here and there).

I ended up getting some good domains from SitePoint however. The ones I bought with PR are speculative though - first two I've ever bought that came with any kind of ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I've sold a few web sites on eBay for $30 to $100, but I sold two there that were worth something to somebody: an estate-planning-attorney directory site for $4,000 (in 2000) and of course my web-advertising-info site for $175,000 (in 1999).

I've bought a few domains on eBay, never more than $50.

But yeah, there is 99.9% garbage in the web/internet categories on eBay.
    Wow nice profit on that web-advertising-info site. Do you mind sharing the URL since you no longer own it?

http and a telephoto
    I have PR 5-6 sites that get less actual traffic than PR3-4 sites, so I agree with Leader and nyfalcon, there is no real value in PR. However, like Scott pointed out, it brings back the spider more often to look and see if you did anything to warrent inclusion

So no, don't buy sites just for PR.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ok thanks people, glad I asked before I went off on another one of my dead-end spending habits!

Quote Originally Posted by felit0
    Wow nice profit on that web-advertising-info site. Do you mind sharing the URL since you no longer own it?
    Adbility.com. At the time, it was generating more than $10,000 per month in revenue, with nominal expenses other than my time.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Good Info Gang
    Nice to see this thread. We are working with a SEO consultant to get our Rx site up in the organic searches - so it is good to see this question posed and the feedback from others. We have a phone conference tomorrow and I will be sure to bring this up.

Thanks to all of you!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread