Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cool Would you affiliate with a merchant which only had Paypal as a payment option?
    Just wondering if there was any negative perception of a merchant which only had Paypal as a payment option. I know there was negatively when you had to be a member of Paypal to make payment, but now you can accept credit cards from non-Paypal members.

What do people think?

Thank you for the feedback.

Tax Paying Member
    I would not have a problem with it.

My opinion and my opioion alone.....Is not binding on anyone else......

I use PayPal frequently and it has been smooth and problem free. I do think that using PayPal exclusively may give the appearance of being small business (mom and pop), but is that a "bad "thing?

Most credit card operations are so expensive that the fees really eat into the bottom line, especially for a low volume seller.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I think it would depend upon what was being sold. If it were a item that had high traffic, say electronics, I would not. If it were a niche audience where I knew the traffic expected would normally use paypal, then yes. For example, I think people that use auctions expect paypal to be an option. People do not expect the same from BestBuy. Just my opinion....

I also think it's become less of an issue now that Paypal accepts credit cards from anyone.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Pay - - - Pal!!
    Pay pal is an option to offer in addition to direct CC, but making it the exclusive pay method for non auction like offerings restricts "impulse" sales.

As for appearances, if pay pal is the sole payment option, it can indeed give the impression of a small mom / pop business, and yes, that will make a credibility difference to some potential buyers. Image is an important part of creating buyer trust.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lightbulb
    I'm having less of a problem accepting the idea of being paid via PayPal, but a merchant should be wary of having this as the only method.

someone who posts here as a merchant has had a problem with his account being frozen because of a complaint. it made all kinds of problems with payments.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    As an affiliate, you are driving traffic to the site hoping that it would convert.
    The most widely accepted method is Credit cards followed by paypal. I have done transactions on a personal level with online buyers and they have no idea what paypal is (not an ebay transaction). Almost every tom-dave-harry owns a Credit card.

If you have 2 merchants, site design/layout is the same...
    1) a merchant website that accepts just paypal
    2) or a merchant that accepts credit card (CC)

i would prefer to take my chances and send traffic to the credit card merchant cos conversion would be higher for the CC merchant as it is a more widely accepted payment method.

if the Paypal payment is there as an added bonus, then I say there should be no prob

Eric is right on the money I think!

You are devoting your time and effort to sending a merchant clicks and traffic. It is their job to convert as effectively as possible and that means accepting CC. Anything less seems like wasting your time!

--Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Azam
    Just wondering if there was any negative perception of a merchant which only had Paypal as a payment option. I know there was negatively when you had to be a member of Paypal to make payment, but now you can accept credit cards from non-Paypal members.

What do people think?

Thank you for the feedback.
    If you'd like a simple answer: it is "no."

I would not affiliate with any merchant that only had Paypal as a payment option -- even if the mechant offered a selection of merchandise that complimented my site[s] perfectly.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Lightbulb
    Checking the stats for a live merchant offering both CC & PayPal on over 80,000 transactions they show only 6% used the PayPal option. This has no direct correlation to the original question but shows what happens when given the option!

I assume PayPal and the new Google Checkout payment plans pitch the shopper with some extra security spin. If the sight and merchant looks trustworthy they will pull out the CC first. I'll perform a similar test when I launch a Google Checkout payment only site verses one that accepts CC Google and Paypal. Assumption is what effect on conversion ratio is their when either PayPal or the Google Checkout is the only option open for purchasing.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I would never, but I have known two people personally who had money stolen out of their paypal accounts. Paypal is NOT a good thing. The problem is that when you use Paypal, you authorize paypal as a third party, to access funds from your bank account and credit card account. Since you have authorized a third party, your credit card will not cover you if money is taken without your consent, because you gave paypal permission to take money on your behalf. Sound confusing? It isn't. You should NEVER authorize a third party to have control of your bank accounts. If you are ever to have the misfortune of someone hacking into your account, you are doomed. At least if you pay with your credit card DIRECTLY, you have protection against unautorhized use. Just my .02.

I think buyers still think that using Paypal means you need to have a Paypal account. You don't. I have a number of dropship stores and I sell on Pricegrabber and eBay. When someone goes to checkout, they are asked if they would like to checkout using their credit card or their Paypal account. If they choose credit card, they checkout the same as if I were using say charge.com. Paypal is not horrible like they used to be. Their security is also a lot tighter. Also, there are no monthly fees.

"You should NEVER authorize a third party to have control of your bank accounts."

Credit card processors have access to your bank account to deposit the funds and to withdraw the monthly fees. Also, chargebacks can be filed, even if Paypal processed the charge.

I have had a Paypal account for over 2 years. Maybe I'm lucky but I have never had my account hacked and Paypal has never taken money I didn't authorize.

Any online account can be hacked by using phishing emails, not just Paypal. The emails look real and a lot of people just don't know to check the email header or to type the address in a browser rather than clicking a link in an email. I get phishing emails almost ever day for credit card accounts from banks which I have never had any relationship with.

"Credit card processors have access to your bank account to deposit the funds and to withdraw the monthly fees. Also, chargebacks can be filed, even if Paypal processed the charge."

Should your account be used without your authorization, you would be hard pressed to get your money back since you have authorized paypal ( a third party company) to send money on your behalf... I have never known anyone to be able to do it successfully, yet have heard countless first hand accounts of how people were ripped of funds using paypal.

With all of the info out there about Paypal and how people have lost tons of money using it, you would be a fool to take the risk, but if you really believe you would get your money back if your account was hacked , then by all means, carry on.
    Last edited by Anne; September 18th, 2006 at 04:19 PM.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Piping in again
    Good stuff Anne. I know that you are correct about recovery of loss in misuse instances too.

But I re-iterate my earlier post. From purely a marketing standpoint, and especially the importance of the "impulse buy" value of a site, Pay Pal creates another step that the visitor must take. The quickest / simplest buy process you can offer, the better your success for capitalizing on the impulse to buy now.

We have never offered pay pal as an option due to this firm belief. Of course as someone posted earlier, it depends on the kind of site you have. If it is an auction type site, people are accustomed to pay pal. Otherwise, I personally believe that it is more of a hinderance than a benefit.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I've used PayPal for a few years now and never had any problems.

If a merchant ONLY used PayPal I would have a problem however as it would show them to be too narrow minded and unprepared to take their business seriously.

I have always maintained that if you want someone to do something (ultimately that you will benefit by - a sale most frequently) you should make it as easy as humanly possible for them to do it.

The customer is always right - if they are not then they are not your customer, they are someone else's - where they feel they are right. So the sustomer is always right. Would you try telling a customer they can only use Visa and not Mastercard?

PayPal is a payment sysytem that requires an extra level of registration over and above the relationship with the bank - that makes it less user friendly than a merchant that takes the card directly - that means some potential customers will drop out at checkout - they will become someone else's customer.

What Paul Said. LOL! True. Really, it is SO easy to get a merchant account with Visa and Mastercard, why wouldn't you? Paypal just seems a bit "entry level" for a retailer to me. It is good to have if you think it would expand business ( as people do use it, despite the risks) but most people use Visa and MC, and AE. If you want more business, offer multiple payment options.

Extra step? A paypal account is not needed to use a credit card. They just process the Visa, Mastercard and AE like any other CC processor. They also now offer the option of running the entire payment process on your site rather than using their payment page. I think PP just got a bad reputation for all the problems they used to have. A merchant account usually charges monthly fees for statements and minimums, etc. Paypal gives the customer the option of paying with a credit card without a Paypal account or if they prefer and have an account, they can pay with funds in their account, e-check, Paypal debit card (earning 1% back into their account), or your cell phone.

Info about unauthorized transaction from a Paypal account: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...p-info-outside

Affiliate Manager
    Paypal has evolved over the years, and I think there are many shoppers who use prefer the paypal option to make payments.

As a merchant, we accept payments through credit cards directly and also using paypal, I've noticed a substantial percentage customers that use paypal to make the payment.

The paypal option seems to be especially recommended for new and upcomming merchants who aren't a huge brand or are low-key, this is mainly because it is rediculously simple for buyers to claim their money back should they decide to do so - which makes it comfortable and convinent for them to not think too much about not shopping with them because they've never heard of them before.

Personally, I am biased towards using paypal while shopping online not only because of this,but and also because I'm lazy If I see paypal as an option, I don't have to get out of the chair or reach out to my wallet and fish that credit card, I can simply recover my paypal username and password from memory and press submit.

Bottomline is, having paypal as an option most definitely drives up conversion. If a merchant uses ONLY paypal as an option, an affiliate might consider mentioning on the pages that refer to the merchant that this merchant only has paypal as an option, and also that paypal now lets you make payments directly through your credit card and that it is not necessary to have an account with them.

Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    Info about unauthorized transaction from a Paypal account: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...p-info-outside
    Yes they have a process. May the force be with you if you ever have an unauthorized charge show up. Enough said from me on this thread. bye!

Paypal is deceptive when they say they are cheaper than a merchant account. Even if you do just a couple of thousand in sales per month, it's MUCH cheaper to have your own merchant account than use paypal. Paypal fees eat you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Paypal is deceptive when they say they are cheaper than a merchant account. Even if you do just a couple of thousand in sales per month, it's MUCH cheaper to have your own merchant account than use paypal. Paypal fees eat you alive.
    Thank you for expressing those thoughts about Paypal fees.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashok
    Personally, I am biased towards using paypal while shopping online not only because of this,but and also because I'm lazy If I see paypal as an option, I don't have to get out of the chair or reach out to my wallet and fish that credit card, I can simply recover my paypal username and password from memory and press submit.
    If it is a merchant, I hit the citicards virtual acct #, generate a 1 time use # and not worry about them running off with my credit card.. it all depends but I am not a paypal person (except for ebay, and that I still use a virtual CC#). Heard too many horrible stories about paypal

Paypal-only sounds like "small and unprofessional" to me. I won't touch a merchant who doesn't accept credit cards.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Checking the stats for a live merchant offering both CC & PayPal on over 80,000 transactions they show only 6% used the PayPal option. This has no direct correlation to the original question but shows what happens when given the option!

I assume PayPal and the new Google Checkout payment plans pitch the shopper with some extra security spin. If the sight and merchant looks trustworthy they will pull out the CC first. I'll perform a similar test when I launch a Google Checkout payment only site verses one that accepts CC Google and Paypal. Assumption is what effect on conversion ratio is their when either PayPal or the Google Checkout is the only option open for purchasing.
    True to my word I did launch a merchant site that uses ONLY Google Checkout for payment to checkout the CTR and conversion ratio against Credit Card and PayPal history. Tied www.holdup-suspenders.com into a specific Adwords campaign with landing pages like http://www.holdup-suspenders.com/widesuspenders.htm http://www.holdup-suspenders.com/du-casual.htm and http://www.holdup-suspenders.com/singleclip.htm etc etc

Will check the stats with Google Analytics and Adwords stats knowing all traffic/sales on the new site comes from PPCSE. Will be interesting as the client has a 5 year conversion/CTR history to compare with just standard text and image Ads with Google Adwords.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Guess there's no interest in Google Checkout from a merchant and affiliate viewpoint.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast