ABW Ambassador
    Google AdSense Running in Email Newsletters
    Right now testing with select partners

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/?p=3803

Affiliate Manager
    Interesting. Taking Gmail to the logical next step (just as they did with adwords by introducing adsense)
    Join The [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10705]Giftshoppingzone.com[/URL] [/B] Affiliate Program on SAS - [B]10% on sales , Unlimited cookie, over 15,000 products in datafeed![/B]
    [URL=http://gift-ideas.giftshoppingzone.com/]Gift Ideas[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Not just Gmail. Let's say you have a newsletter, then in the future you might be able to send it out with Adsense. So it could be good for legit mail, maybe some spammers get in. Also advertisers are going to have to think if they want their ads showing up in email. A lot opt out of the content network because of click fraud. So some things to think about. Somebody might send out a newsletter to a big list and you log into your account and see a spike in your PPC spend.

ABW Ambassador
    Great... a lot of those self proclaimed adsense "gurus" are just email list whores... I think this might blow up in Google's face!
    Hi, I'm a signature.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    Great... a lot of those self proclaimed adsense "gurus" are just email list whores... I think this might blow up in Google's face!
    Spot on observation. Every evil visited upon the affiliate industry will show up as the next geat thingy on Google as they hire more mental midgets from the ranks of the Adwhore industry. The "how to get more clicks" not the quality of the clicks rules the advertising mindset.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I know Leader will agree with me on this one!

If you are sending email it is to direct traffic to your site Period

If you are going to put it in your email newsletter you will be costing yourself money.

It would cost you a small fortune to do email abitrage using a contexual program.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I know Leader will agree with me on this one!

If you are sending email it is to direct traffic to your site Period

If you are going to put it in your email newsletter you will be costing yourself money.

It would cost you a small fortune to do email abitrage using a contexual program.

Huh? we used to do newsletters for our sites all the time, and inside the newletter included an ad. That is what made the money. I don't think this is really aimed at merchants and any newsletters they may have.

Most people do newsletters to attract attention back to specific landing pages on their site. Placing an ad for adsense will only take away from your site and your affiliate marketing.

Lets say you have a widget site and you send out 1000 emails to people that signed up for widget information. Istead of them clicking onto your specific widget page from the email they will click on an adsense ad and you will get a penny or two instead.

That was the point I was trying to make.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ya not a good idea either! we r just helping google making money!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Oboy...
    Soon comes the deluge of AdSensed email spam...

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Most people do newsletters to attract attention back to specific landing pages on their site. Placing an ad for adsense will only take away from your site and your affiliate marketing.

Lets say you have a widget site and you send out 1000 emails to people that signed up for widget information. Istead of them clicking onto your specific widget page from the email they will click on an adsense ad and you will get a penny or two instead.

That was the point I was trying to make.
    I wondered what you thought I'd agree with... "

If you send out a newsletter promoting your merchants' stuff, it may--or may not--be best to not have AdSense in with it.

It depends on what the commish on a Widget is, and the conversion ratio, compared to the money gained from an email AdSense click. It could be that the Widget ends up just being the excuse for sending AdSense-laden emails (and an easy way to get the right keywords to come up). Same as with some products on sites.

Also, there are some people who send out c*ntent newsletters just to support an actual c*ntent site, and already sell ad space in them. So putting in AdSense may be a good move for them.

And of course, the email spammers are going to go hog wild!

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Oboy...
    Soon comes the deluge of AdSensed email spam...

Also, there are some people who send out c*ntent newsletters just to support an actual c*ntent site, and already sell ad space in them. So putting in AdSense may be a good move for them.

And of course, the email spammers are going to go hog wild!
    Gosh, really does sound scary....

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread