2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Let me know if you think this is unethical. I get about 300+ spams per day no matter what I do since I'm webmaster /catchall for 240 domains. If I trace the offenders down through spamcop.net and then go to the so called legit opt-in spam farms with a ton on co-regs and enter their e-mail address they get a taste of their own waste of web ink and time. About time the underpinnings of the incent-coupon-Freebee-surf to earn got spammed by their own partner servers.

Jump on board and signup your favorite parasite and Duperaffiliate of the month. Me thinks most have a indirect link to the sewer rats of spamsville. I'm not responsible, since I thought they would greatly benefit from getting valuable offers from 400 sources a day. Am I wrong folks?

I don't see it as unethical, but I don't know how much good it's going to do aside from instant gratification [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Anyone stupid enough to waste money and bandwidth on SPAM in the first place is too stupid to realize it's useless. They are probably the same people that actually *read* the crap and respond to the offers. You may just end up encouraging them.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That'll only work if they're not "double opt-in" lists. Of course once somebody confirms their subscription to a list, their email addy is usually sold multiple times--but getting onto the very first list seems to require at least one confirmation.

As for it being ethical, it's no more ethical than them sticking you on a bunch of lists you don't want to be on. In other words--it's not!

ABW Ambassador
    Right or wrong, Mike, I just think it's colossal waste of your time and I doubt they'll even notice.

I subscribe to Spamcop.net and use that address as my "published" address - it cuts down on quite a bit of spam. It's quite configurable too, so you can auto-reject any mail coming from (say) China or Korea (i.e. mostly spam), open relays plus various other blacklists. Very little gets through.

But for spam that does slip through, often to other email addresses I always report them via Spamcop (it does all the header parsing for you). I know that in at least of few cases ISPs and webhosts have taken action and cancelled accounts. Usually they're using throw-away ISP accounts, but not always.

A few weeks ago I had 3 spams that appeared to originate from within NASA. Needless to say, I bet the NASA sysadmins would have been on the warpath on that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well the list brokers sure have my various e-mail addresses and so do the 14.95 for 5 million e-mail address CD folks. I get a lot of those so called op-in ( never double opt-in) flyers and though some prankster signed me up at Freelotto and Joke of the day sites. I just take the network duperaffiliates and submit their own exec's and sysadmins e-mails onto their own service and competitors if I get spammed by them. Just a wakeup call. Amazing how even the double opt-in non responders get filtered and sold to the 2nd level spam farmers.

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Actually the real sneaky trick is to buy the 75 million email CD, then when you get a spam deal, simply make a script and have all 75 million sign up for the spammers newsletter.

Or better yet, send all 75 million an email saying, Fight Spam Click Here. Please go to the spammers site and ask to be unsubscribed.

ABW Ambassador
    I've thought about that Frederick...taking a list of names and saying 'Did you know that your e-mail address is being distributed to hundreds of spammers. The company doing the distributing is ___________'

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I have to agree, instant gratification is probably all it's going to get you. I was getting about 1,000 a week to just 2 domains I own. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Then the some of the Spam lists I was on got infected with WKlez viruse and in 4 days I got 100 infected emails. Of course I did have the satisfaction of knowing the idiots caught a very nasty virus that does bad things to your computer. :eek:

I was reporting to Spam Cop, but with the volume I get I just did't have the time. I just started using MailWasher which bounces the spam back as undeliveralbe. The theory being when they start getting nondeliverable on your addy they may take you off thier list. I've started seeing a decrease, but hard to say if it's just the normal ebb and flow.

When I'm really feeling the need to vent I forward them to the FTC. I figure if I have to suffer through them, the government will too. At less until they get off of it and do something about the problem.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread