tracking gap cookie problem
    We are launching our lead program and I ran into a problem with the "tracking gap" cookie.

Basically, someone came to an affiliate site, and registered as a lead. It was a bogus lead though so I voided the transaction.

But the SAS cookie persists. Four more times, that person apparently visited our site through the affiliate link. They didn't try to become a lead, only visited our site. And each time, SAS picked that person up as a lead and charged our account.

I voided the four transactions and got a very upset email from the affiliate. I called SAS and they suggested that we set the tracking gap cookie to zero. We decided to do so. Otherwise, SAS wouldn't work for us. And people tend to visit us through affiliate links anyway rather than as a destination site, and do a one-time transaction (registering as a lead) at that time, so this works for us.

I'm not thrilled with this solution but it will work for us. Anyone else have this problem?

15 years and counting
    cognitivefun - Four more times, that person apparently visited our site through the affiliate link. They didn't try to become a lead, only visited our site. And each time, SAS picked that person up as a lead and charged our account.
    Something is wrong. To my knowledge, a form should be filled to become a lead, a simple visit to a site should not trigger the lead, cookie or not, the cookie is there to identify the last affiliate not to validate the lead. To set the "tracking gap" cookie to zero is not fair to your other affiliates.
    I'm not an expert with leads and I don't know exactly how SAS track them, so it's just how I think it should work.

Affiliate Manager
    Sounds like you put Shareasales lead tracking code on your main page instead of your "thank you" page. That would be the only way a lead would track as soon as a visitor came to your site without filling anything out. Putting the tracking pixel on your thank you page should fix the problem. The thank you page being the "hey thanks for filling out our form and we'll contact you asap..." page.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet_B
    Sounds like you put Shareasales lead tracking code on your main page instead of your "thank you" page. That would be the only way a lead would track as soon as a visitor came to your site without filling anything out. Putting the tracking pixel on your thank you page should fix the problem. The thank you page being the "hey thanks for filling out our form and we'll contact you asap..." page.
    You nailed the problem Chet.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I wish it were this simple. Our tech chief says that the code is on the thank you page only...

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread