Any feedback on Sitepal?
    I am considering integrating Sitepal into one of my web sites prior to a [SAS] product launch late next week.

Any feedback either way on if it helps or hurts?

It appears that SitePal is one of the many "video-and-audio on the home page" services.

My advice: Never, ever send audio to a web visitor who has not expressly asked for it. Unrequested audio is annoying to the visitor, and also alerts anyone within earshot -- which could even get your visitor fired, if she's surfing the web at work.

When I visit a web site and am blasted with unexpected, unwanted audio, I hit the "back" key or close the window -- I do not do business with idiots who impose their audio message on me without permission. (Even if you're the home page for a TV or radio station, or for a rock band, do NOT launch the streaming video or audio without user approval.)

If you do insist on delivering audio, don't start with shouting or a brass band -- start with a low volume level. And make sure there is a very prominent button (or several) to turn off the sound, and a volume-adjustment bar.

Yes, audio can be an incredibly effective tool for marketing, and a video message with audio track is a fantastic marketing tool. But get the user's permission first -- otherwise you may enrage more customers than you entice.

Markwelch ,

Your point it well taken as I would not have thought about it otherwise.
    I do believe Sitepal allows you to have it paused rather than played automatically -- the visitor then decides if he or she wishes to hear the audio message.

(sig removal)
    Last edited by Trust; September 24th, 2006 at 04:35 PM. Reason: sig removal

Quote Originally Posted by TotalCallGroup
    I am considering integrating Sitepal into one of my web sites prior to a [SAS] product launch late next week.

Any feedback either way on if it helps or hurts?
    Your Sitepal character will be better if you program its conversation and you read up on ways to do so.

How good are you at graphics?

There's an excellent book entitled, Virtual Humans: A Build-It_Yourself Kit, Complete Software and Step-by-Step Instructions by Peter Plantec

The book's "complete software" is a bit of a come-on: it really helps if you are talented in 3D modeling -- even if you are not, this book can help you program your character's conversation (whether you use Sitepal or an alternative).

Let us know how it works out
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for the info.

I did use the text to speech mode for conversation and put in extra spaces to slow down the voice so it could be better understood.

In terms of graphics I just used a default character and changed it's image. I still have not decided if I am going to use it as I have not received any positive feedback.

(sig removal)
    Last edited by Trust; September 24th, 2006 at 04:36 PM. Reason: sig removal

Quote Originally Posted by TotalCallGroup
    Thanks for the info.

I did use the text to speech mode for conversation and put in extra spaces to slow down the voice so it could be better understood.

In terms of graphics I just used a default character and changed it's image. I still have not decided if I am going to use it as I have not received any positive feedback.

In terms of the feedback you are looking for:

I think that a Sitepal character could be intriguing depending upon your focus market. The Sitepal character reminds me of a more elaborate avatar -- and there was a time when cartoon avatars were really hot and everyone wanted to create one for his/her blog/forum icon etc...

What do you market?
    If you market insurance and stocks and "dry stuff" like that, I don't think Sitepal will add value to your marketing strategy.

If you market items to a younger audience and/or an audience that would benefit from interactive explanations/discourse it might add that extra oomph to your site and increase popularity -- the key is careful programming of the discourse.

Search the name of the author I provided and you will find many related sites of interest.

My 3D modeling skills require some improvement but if you get your hands on the book you will read about methods that might be more cost effective for you in the long run (than by using Sitepal).

The book mentions Sitepal so you can use the ideas from the book with Sitepal.
    The good thing about using Sitepal is that their graphics are really good and you can incorporate ideas from the book I recommended above (I own the book as well). Check for a used copy of the book on Amazon.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

personally i think its tacky

do a real video with yourself much better than some talking head crap.. i would leave a site if i saw that.. its like what is this.. kindergarten

Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable
    personally i think its tacky

do a real video with yourself much better than some talking head crap.. i would leave a site if i saw that.. its like what is this.. kindergarten
    I found your response amusing

I enjoy reading about how to program conversations -- but getting the conversations in sync with the "talking head" takes practice.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread