Hope I can explain in good enough detail

I noticed while studying my server logs that many times a person visits me from a search engine looking for products that arent' exactly what I have listed on my site. I can get these products of course but the customer doesn't see what they are looking for and leaves.

So I thought up a deal to try an correct this.

I started working out a system that can show you (the website owner) that a visitor is on your website, what search engine they came from and exactly what quary they typed in and in real time.

This system could be used in many ways.

1. You could have a chat/message system set up where you greet your visitor if you want and tell them "we've got product x click here" just like a live help feature except that you already know about the visitor and what they came looking for instead of waiting for them to contact you, which they rarely will do.

2. You could set it up with a database to automatically search within your site for that exact product or search your merchants site with your affiliate code and either popup that product or redirect your site to that product.

None of this would have any effect on how your site is listed and spidered by the search engines but would benefit you by optimizing your pages custom for each visitor.

I'm interested to know if this is something you see value in? My thoughts are it would/could increase sales by quite a bit especially with the database that would automatically update your site for each visitor without having to depend on them to make searches or click links.

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder,
    This is a great idea, although sometimes it may be difficult to catch them everytime. I had always like the old HumanClick when it was free. It was interesting to see people come into our site and what they were looking for. I could also see what pages they were looking at on TH Media. I could better gauge exactly what they were after. I found a lot of people that were coming in just to figure out how to use Front Page or Outlook Express. It was something I found very useful.

One thing I would like to figure out (on the same subject) is how to catch those people that didn't find what they were looking for. A database or a search feature that would pull from various merchants. Then if they did a search on our site that returned 0 results, you could say, 'Can't find what your looking for? Try searching here!' You could also put this on any page, even if the user did get results. Something that would pull from various merchants and have the affiliate ID in there. This would be great with the shopping site we run.

Tom,
    Thank you for the reply. I was worried no one would understand.

The potential of this is unlimited. You could use it like an advanced human click or have it automatically quary your merchants sites for the exact product.

The only downfall is it would really only impact customers who came to you by way of a search engine but that's something like 90% of them anyways.

I like the search/database idea, esp if it could be set up to search from a list of merchants if the product isn't on the affiliate website.

Eaglefire,

That is exactly what it will do [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder,
    Even if they didn't come in from a search engine, there would still be some interaction between you and the visitor. Using a similar line in my previous post 'Can't find what your looking for? Click Here to chat with one of friendly customer support representitives..yada..yada'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That is exactly what it will do <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't sure if you meant - search thru a merchant's site if the product isn't found on the affiliate site, or search thru a list of merchants with, say, related products, *then* thru the merchants' respective sites.

In other words, Tiger doesn't have it - search Microwarehouse, PC Mall and Computers4Sure, then come up with a list of product choices.

Well, that is possible in a way. The only thing about searching multiple merchant sites is it would all have to be done at the same time like open up multiple windows which gets ugly imo.

This would work best with very large inventory merchants who have search features included in their affiliate programs now like gocollect or tiger.

Well it would definately have to have the ability to recognize spiders and let them go through your site normally, ofcourse then you could get banned for not showing the same content to the spider that you show a visitor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well, that is possible in a way. The only thing about searching multiple merchant sites is it would all have to be done at the same time like open up multiple windows which gets ugly imo.
    This would work best with very large inventory merchants who have search features included in their affiliate programs now like gocollect or tiger.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it would be bugger to implement ... just blue-skying a bit. What I'm visualizing wouldn't be separate windows; it would return a list of results similar to what CNET shopper does, but with affiliate-coded links to the merchants' sites.

In any event, what you are proposing still sounds like a great idea.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    For ecommerce sites I recommend the 2 cart/catalog/livehelp/databse product I placed at http://www.ecomcity.com/news.htm as a answer to capturing abandoned pages and carts.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread