ABW Ambassador
    (this is just blowing steam -- who TRAINS these people???)

So I got a call from an extremely well-known merchant today -- I am NOT an affiliate of theirs. Actually, they called last week and left the message "Hi, this is Joe Blow from BigName.com, please call me at 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx." pfftt! Not having a clue why they were calling, I blew it off.

So they called again today. Member of the household (not me) answered and took a message... household members said "he was asking all kind of questions about your site, like "what does it do?" -- I told him he had to talk to you."

So I call this guy who didn't even have the courtesy of leaving a toll-free number. Why did I call? Curiosity got the best of me.

Someday I'll learn.

ME: Hi, this is Cedric, you called?

HIM: Yes, hold for just a minute.

(hold music)

HIM: Hey, Cedric, how are you doing today?

ME: Fine.

HIM: Great, tell me what does your site do?

ME: Excuse me?

HIM: What does your site do in terms of daily traffic and how do you drive that traffic?

ME: And I would give you this information because...?

HIM: I'm just asking what kind of traffic you get at your site?

ME: Who ARE you?

(pause)
    HIM: Joe Blow from BigName.com.

ME: And you want me to share proprietary data with you because...?

HIM: I'm not asking for proprietary data.

ME: Yes, you are.

HIM: I didn't mean to.

ME: uh-huh...

HIM: I have over 28,000 affiliates I deal with!

ME: uh-huh...

(pause)

HIM: I just want to help improve your sales!

(pause)
    ME: You picked a really lousy way to start a conversation. You don't just call people you don't know and ask them for proprietary info. And I have to share proprietary data with for you to offer to improve my sales? You're BigName.com, right?

HIM: Yes!

ME: Well, I already have several merchants in your category that I already work with, so I'm not interested.

HIM: Okay.

ME: And by the way, you should provide a toll free number for people you want to make sales calls to. I just got charged for this conversation.

HIM: (long explanation of how their 800 numbers are down today and they're waiting for the phone company to get them back up)

ME: Okay.

HIM: So what categories do well for you?

ME: Excuse me, but didn't I JUST tell you that I'm not interested in working with you?

HIM: Yes, but I know other affiliate managers (names several other affiliate programs) and we talk...

ME: So you want to share my proprietary data with them, too?

(long pause)
    HIM: No.

ME: Great, thanks.

[CLICK] <-- That would be ME hanging up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>who TRAINS these people???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably Amway.

lol! It's happening a lot these days, merchants headhunting aff's, albeit usually by email.

I've been approached by a very nice Italian wine merchant, ship globally paying 10% if anyone works that line, pm me.

I've resorted to enticing likely merchants with products I know sell into setting up aff programs.
    Received a reply from a nice one today, great products,lot of consumer interest, great site, now which network should I suggest...Mmmmmmm

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hm, which network...

CJ, of course!

And don't forget to make them click through your link when they go to check it out.

Cedric, that merchant sounds both haughty and desperate all at once.

Haughty and presumptious to practically demand that info--but desperate to be calling you for it! It sounds like they're having trouble getting new affiliates, when the aff. manager is resorting to cold calling webmasters to get more! With his attitude, I can understand him having problems--especially considering the generally independent mindset of webmasters.

As for his "28,000 affiliates" (if he wasn't just making that up), I'm sure if you named names you could lessen his workload a bit. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm sure if you named names you could lessen his workload a bit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL...I'm seeing more of it too, however, I haven't gotten a call with folks trained like that. The ones I get are usually nice, however, I often think they are trying to sell me long distance or something. Make nice, then talk business. I wish they would just get to the point about what they want.

ABW Ambassador
    Cedric,

Sounds like this affiliate manager is afraid to heading back to cookin burgers and fries at the local Burger King. Instead of trying to sell you on his program it will be once again; Excuse me ma'am, would you like fries with that order. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike

Geesh. Glad the business partner has to deal with the phone calls. Of course, it's much safer that way. I have a tendency to get brutally honest. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Great, tell me what does your site do?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe, make money with affiliate marketing among other things.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Maybe he was worried that his Gator/Morpheus commitment wasn't producing the target click/sales results his boss expected. Many should call or e-mail active affiliates but be armed with some conversion data or some commission spiff. At least he didn't figgure out a way to serve a popup with his phone call. I got one spamm e-mail yesterday from iWon.com that took forever to download. It contained both intro POPUP and a exit popup.

I hereby dub thee Cedric The Paranoid.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Actually you missed the best response when he said he had 20 some thousand affiliates.

You should have said, "Can you send me a list of all your affiliates so I can contact them to check you out and see how well your program converts?

I'll get back to you after I check out your program with your existing affiliates."

He was dumb enough that he just might have sent you the whole list - then you could have auctioned it on eBay.

Cedric,
    I had a similar call with an ah-ha.com rep. He called me out of the blue, at 7AM my time. Was trying to forcefully recruit me for their PPC program and buying banner ads at like 8$ CPM [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

After telling him I was already a PPC customer of theirs, he went straight into a hardsell banners ad push. I declined. Then a different person called me every week for 2 months after that trying to sign me up. Needless to say, my account there is dormant now. It reeked of desperation.

I liked Fred's response "Can you send me a list of all your affiliates so I can contact them to check you out and see how well your program converts?" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: Bassmaster ]

ABW Ambassador
    Nah, Frederick, you must dub me a privacy freak, if anything -- and not all of us privacy freaks are paranoid.

I believe companies should keep proprietary information... well, proprietary. Call ME kooky. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But I must admit that you had the better response (yes, I'm surprised to admit it, too) -- I'll keep that one in my pocket for future reference.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread