Which network is expedia.com with?
    Hi,

I'm trying to join expedia.com (not expedia.co.uk or the others, I've already done that), but I can't find which network they're with. The affiliate form on their website sends me to befree, but CJ (owner of befree) has just sent me an email confirming that expedia.com is not with them.

Any clues?

Thanks

Maria

They are still on the bfast platform.

expedia.com and bfast
    Hi,

I've tried joining the bfast network (https://affiliates.befree.com/index.jsp) in order to join expedia.com, but all I can see is how to log in with an existent username+password (which I don't have)

Is expedia.com really only with bfast? Also, what's the connection between bfast and CJ? CJ says they don't have expedia.com as a merchant, but the bfast site gives the impression they're closely related.

Can anyone tell me how to join expedia.com? (I can't believe how long this is taking me. Most other merchants only take a few seconds to join )

Thanks

Maria

A few years ago, CJ, purchased Befree, so they are the same company, but the technical platform of Befree, called bfast still exists, and there are still merchants on it. The platform is slowly being phased out. The CJ people in CA are not really familiar with the bfast platform. Yes, it is frustrating.

Go here
    https://affiliates.befree.com/
    and you can join. Actually, you select the merchant you want to join, and then apply.

Good luck

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    Hi Maria,

Welcome to ABW !!

After you join them, you may want to look at our merchant, EasyClickTravel.com.

You can get full program info here: http://www.easyclicktravel.com/affil...nvitation.html

We are very easy to join and pay up to 9% commissions on the special ECT / ARC program. What are the other travel merchants paying you?

To your success,
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Expedia just uses Befree as a home base network, like Gator/Claria and other BHO's do. Fact is Expedia uses all advertising networks and washes cross platform/campaign cookies in the process. I haven't received a single check from any of my left over Befree merchants in over a year. Even ComputerGeeks is totally a deadend for targeted traffic. Only the die hard Adwhore run operations continue with the BF platform.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mystery solved
    skishore20006, ecomcity,

Thanks a lot for your replies. It's all clear now.

Maria
    Last edited by Maria Fernandez; September 21st, 2006 at 01:10 PM. Reason: I forgot the addresee

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Hi Maria,

Welcome to ABW !!

After you join them, you may want to look at our merchant, EasyClickTravel.com.

You can get full program info here: http://www.easyclicktravel.com/affil...nvitation.html

We are very easy to join and pay up to 9% commissions on the special ECT / ARC program. What are the other travel merchants paying you?

To your success,
    Andy,

I actually joined your EasyClickTravel.com program a couple of weeks ago. I'm working on links and content and will have the pages live by the end of next week.

I've been checking the commissions offered by other travel agents and 9% is high. 5% is a common figure and a flat fee of $2-$20 is quite common too. I've found a smallish site that offers 10% on hotels, but it caters mostly to Europe.

I guess what I'll do is place links to a number of travel agents and I'll monitor them for a few months. Then, after Christmas, I'll do a clean up and I'll keep the ones that work best - and ones that offer good affiliate support!

Maria

I have had only a small amount of success with Expedia. Probably too much brand recognition and travelers just go directly there. Either that, or maybe a few too many parasites in the loop.

On the other hand I do VERY well with their inventory, however it is privately labeled on some of my sites - through their "other" affiliate network. Expedia owns(?) Hotels.com (and TravelNow.com and some others) - you might try going there and clicking the "affiliate" link. (I believe I'm not supposed to post affiliate links on this board.) I am not in sales/marketing with them, but I do like the commissions I have been earning

You mentioned that you have other hotel connections, so you may already be with them. But if not, and you have some Website traffic and an interest, let me know before you sign up online and I may be able to get you a better structure than the "base" that they show online.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Exclamation
    you may wish to read the Expedia TOS before doing anything: there may still be some non-compete warnings there and this extends to their other domains also.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Beachy, I think expedia does a really good job marketing their company and that kind of overshadows their affiliate program. I am not sure if there is an account manager for thier aff program.

I was reading somewhere that they are one of the largest, if not the largest travel portal online followed by orbitz, priceline, cheaptickets, etc.

I know mike on a personal level and I think he run a pretty good program for travel (easyclick). That being said, we (fairfieldgetaway.com)are also in the travel side but we are more package deal, totally different from them and we are indirect competitors. Feel free to checkout our program.

As for befree and expedia, i think befree merchants will migrate over to CJ by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    ...expedia does a really good job marketing their company and that kind of overshadows their affiliate program....they are one of the largest, if not the largest travel portal online followed by orbitz, priceline, cheaptickets, etc...
    ...know mike on a personal level and I think he run a pretty good program for travel (easyclick). That being said, we (fairfieldgetaway.com)are also in the travel side but we are more package deal, totally different from them and we are indirect competitors. Feel free to checkout our program...
    ...think befree merchants will migrate over to CJ by the end of the year.
    Eric, I do believe you have the "lineup" correct. Expedia has tons of brand recognition because of their extensive advertising and their longevity as a travel portal. They also have the lion's share of market share because they also market through Hotels.com, which also gets a LOT of TV exposure, and and extensive affiliate network through TravelNow/IAN, which has something like 40,000 affiliates.

I have been w/ T/N since March, 2000 - left for a while and was recently enticed back - but I also work with other fulfillment companies on a variety of destination sites.

I looked at Mike's program and it appears to have some product I can use - but right now am too busy "rebuilding" some of my old network to put any more on my plate. (I wish he had more Baltimore properties and some in Ocean City, MD.) You, too, have a very interesting program and I do plan to put it in place (if you'll still have me) in the spring.

When Expedia moves on over to CJ, I'll drop them completely - because I don't need to deal with yet another network (plus I'd have to sign up AGAIN with yet a third email addy - what a joke).

Orbitz has a large and (of course) very well branded program but doesn't seem to convert nearly as well as two other programs I use -- even though Orbitz has some outstanding landing pages. They also had an existing and extensive affiliate network through Lodging.com, but that has been going downhill (rapidly) because of corporate shuffle and lack of caring for Lodging affiliates. And, then of course Cendant recently (August, 06) sold their whole TravelPort operation--Orbitz, Lodging, Trip. But word is that the new corporate owner, Blackstone, will be treating Orbitz well.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Even ComputerGeeks is totally a deadend for targeted traffic.
    Didn't they move to CJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Orbitz has a large and (of course) very well branded program but doesn't seem to convert nearly as well as two other programs I use -- even though Orbitz has some outstanding landing pages. They also had an existing and extensive affiliate network through Lodging.com, but that has been going downhill (rapidly) because of corporate shuffle and lack of caring for Lodging affiliates. And, then of course Cendant recently (August, 06) sold their whole TravelPort operation--Orbitz, Lodging, Trip. But word is that the new corporate owner, Blackstone, will be treating Orbitz well.
    Wow, you have been following the spin-off of the program very closely. Fairfield Resorts / Fairfieldgetay.com used to be part of Cendant but we are now part of wyndham hotel & resorts. I am pretty sure that orbitz will pull it through. I am not sure what happened to cheaptickets cos they went with orbitz also. Not much PR about them. I see the cheaptickets aff. manager on here once in a while.

I am not sure what the conversion is for companies like priceline but based on my travel books and research, i usually use priceline cos they operate on a very lean margin.

Wow, you have been following the spin-off of the program very closely. Fairfield Resorts / Fairfieldgetay.com used to be part of Cendant but we are now part of wyndham hotel & resorts....
    Yeah, I lived through several changes. Lodging used to be the main fulfillment company for my best producing sites (I was with them since the Marbach brothers developed the company). The Aff program still exists to service existing accounts, but even the L/C site now redirects to Orbitz. And things are going downhill...

I still have one major site where I need to rplace them (and several tiny ones) - then it is on to greener pastures - much greener.

Affiliate Manager
    I realize this reply is a month late, but I just want to say that I've also been concerned about Lodging affiliates for a while now. There has also been very little communicated to me about Lodging affiliates within the company, but I know the program still exists.

Actually we went a huge Linkshare text link upload earlier in the year to be sure to have the same direct links to all of our hotels through the Orbitz program that are also available through Lodging. This was specifically to accommodate (no pun intended) Lodging affiliates that may want to move to Orbitz. For anyone that's felt neglected by the Lodging site going away, I'm sorry about that. Orbitz wants you all!

What intrigues me is the lack of communication within some large corporate structures. Orbitz acquired Lodging while "everything" was still under the Cendant umbrella. Codes/URLs were even changed so we (Lodging Affiliates) would have access to the entire Orbitz inventory. Yet, it seemed then, and now, that the upper level directors aren't on speaking terms. Professional jealousy? Incompetence? What?

Now with the sale of the Cendant "travel stuff" to the Blackstone group it seems to have gotten even worse. L/C's aff manager left the corporate office in Chicago to telecommute from Ohio. That in itself is not bad, but a lack of response to email, making major URL structure changes on two day's notice just might be. What is not surprising is that former L/C affs are bailing out to the competition.

Don't the Ivory Tower corporate chiefs talk? Or, don't they care? Either way it's not a very tidy way to run a ship.

Wow Beachy.. it looks like you know everything or you are in insider. LoL
    I did not even know that the Aff manager did the telecommute from Ohio. Guess you are really passionate about promoting them cos if not, you would have dropped them a long time ago.

Angela, I do not have any connection with you except for the fact that we were once sister companies when we were with Cendant but you might want to look into this matter with beachy.. he/she knows a lot from a 3rd party's perspective.

Wow Beachy.. it looks like you know everything or you are in insider... LoL
    Not guilty! ...on either charge! But, I was one of their earliest affs -- and very loyal for nearly six years (and had three years with $1-mil+ in reservations). Now, that is not really a [whole] lot, but at the time I was a geography teacher, who did this Internet "thing" P/T.

if not, you would have dropped them a long time ago.
    Actually, I have been in the process of dropping them for the last several months. I had so many "old" sites that do well in the SERPS that I need(ed) to make those changes very slowly. But I only have a couple of sites left to move. I will, however, keep one site active with one aff-code and redirect all "old" codes to that site--just because there are still many, many links out there to specific lodging pages--and leave it that way until the well dries up.

...to look into this matter with beachy.. he/she knows a lot from a 3rd party's perspective.
    Really, I know very little. But L/C affiliates may be "gun-shy" because of the downhill slide that began shortly after Orbitz acquired (took over?) Lodging.com and moved their offices from New Jersey to Chicago. That "slide" may be headed for a cliff...

Affiliate Manager
    Well Eric luckily for me, Beachy is one of the awesome affiliates that remains open-minded to Orbitz regardless of what has been going on with Lodging. I only hope others will as well.

As I went through these posts from Angela, it occurred to me that they were from a long time ago, and I don't know if she's still at Orbitz. But I have a question for an Orbitz person (and assume one is on this forum): I am finally actually setting up a website for travel geared to a specific market, and am looking for a company with which to affiliate. I looked into IAN, but they don't offer multi-city flights, which I foresee as an important offering for my clients. Is this something that Orbitz offers? I put in an app to Affilate with them yesterday (5/23/09) and, though I didn't outline this need, it is one I'm looking for. So if anyone from Orbitz (or anyone on this forum - which has been SOOO helpful as I've read posts over the time that I was too insecure to actually launch my sight) has any knowledge of this point, I'd greatly appreciate the info.

Angela is still with Orbitz, just emailed her yesterday. And I believe that Orbitz does provide multi-point trips..

Thank you, Eric! I'll put another email in to her outlining more specifics (there didn't seem to be a lot of room for a description - I guess they really meant "quick.") And thanks to everyone who has offered help along the way (especially Romanangel).

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread