Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Posting so I can read my private message
    Hello Board Administrator,
    Someone sent me a private message, which I can't read because I haven't posted enough to get PM privs. Please give me PM privs so I can read my message. This thread is in protest I will post until I can read it.

When I go to your house I will happly visit by your rules. Relax and enjoy the place here.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgram
    Hello Board Administrator,
    Someone sent me a private message, which I can't read because I haven't posted enough to get PM privs. Please give me PM privs so I can read my message. This thread is in protest I will post until I can read it.
    You can easily get banned for just posting to get your pm's. Whoever sent you the pm should know that you can't get them yet. It would be better to post that you can't get them and they should post their email address or you can post your email address.

Participating in a real way is the only way to get pm priviledges, it is based on quality, not quantity.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I will post until I can read it.
    You'll have a long way to go then. The number of posts is directly related to the quality and intent of your posts!

So post away...you won't be making any friends that way...prolly get banned...who knows...

Follow Bumpaws advice and relax..I'm sure it can wait...

(woops posted the same time as loxly)
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

With all due respect, why not set it to allow the retrieval, but not send, of PM's? It is pretty annoying to not be able to get messages that people are sending.

http and a telephoto
    With all due respect, why not set it to allow the retrieval, but not send, of PM's? It is pretty annoying to not be able to get messages that people are sending.
    I don't think that setting is available within this forum software.
    Deborah Carney

Because why? It would be really useful to you to be able to receive without replying? Just play by the rules and it will come. Ask them to send you an email, just that easy.

I agree
    I agree, the same thing actually just happened to me today but I agree with the forum... it's their rules and we must play by them. I am therefore trying to help if I can and make good content posts in hopes of becoming non-newb status!!! (hopefully soon ) but will be patient for it

Actually, I don't mind the NO PM rule. Keeps me from getting spammed, which is good.

I couldn't anywhere that listed the rule for it though. How many GOOD posts/posts are required to clear it? I sent Heiko an email about this but haven't heard back. Any long-timers know the answer to this?

I don't post very often, and have only needed PM once, but it would be nice to know what the next step is.

Thanks!

Don't ask as it's not allowed to be revealed.
    The number is private so people don't make a bunch of posts to get to it.
    As has been posted about 10000 times just participate and you'll be there before you know it.
    Post just to get PM privies and the magic number performs a magic trick. *poof* it gets bigger
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

How about just emailing cc's of PM's to those who don't have enough posts so they can read their messages? I've seen this with every other forum I've ever joined.

In my opinion, denying people the ability to read messages is not a defensible policy.

ABW Ambassador
    In my opinion, denying people the ability to read messages is not a defensible policy.
    It goes along with people not being able to send messages, and in my opinion that's a good thing since it avoids drive-by spam and other miscellaneous annoyances and impertinent intrusions. Bulk *PM spam" can be a very annoying thing.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard
    How about just emailing cc's of PM's to those who don't have enough posts so they can read their messages? I've seen this with every other forum I've ever joined.

PM's don't get emailed at all, just a notice that you have one. So emailing them may not be a feature this software allows. Just because "every other forum" does it doesn't mean we should or we can.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    It would be nice if the person who PM'ed you knew that you'd need [Censored] posts before you could retrieve PM's. It's part of the guidelines stated in the terms.

If you accepted the terms, then your anger is vented toward the wrong person. I had the same situation when I joined, so I followed procedure and waited until I met the minimal post requirements.

Either way, attacking an administrator, or demanding that you should not be subject to the same policies the rest of the community has accepted is probably not a great way to approach it.
    Last edited by Leader; September 23rd, 2006 at 03:29 PM. Reason: removed target postcount figure
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Remove the number please. It goes against the TOS to post a number you think is the one needed to get pms
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Reread the reasons why.
    Reread the rules (which as Alan mentioned, you agreed to)
    If you have a problem with defending the forum against drive by spammers, etc, then may I ask why?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Censored it.

Quick Draw McLeader

I fully agree with the admin setting a threshold for allowing access to the PM feature. Were there no limit set, all of the board members would get spammed.

I imagine most ABW members are here to learn and share their experiences in affiliate marketing / managing not to receive spam. The threshold is just one way to assure members they do not get spammed by unscrupulous members.

Further, as this is covered in the member terms, I would suggest that you "re-read" the member terms you agreed to when you joined the community. Spamming the board with useless posts will only get you banned. If you wish to be a respectable member, which I am sure you do, please have the courtesy to abide by all terms you agreed to.
    Last edited by Zach@AmeriTrustRx; September 23rd, 2006 at 03:51 PM.

No one is saying that the policy of requiring a minimum number of posts in order to PM is a bad one. We are saying that the policy of not being able to READ PM's a member with this priviledge has sent is a bad one.

The software should allow you to read PM's, and reply to anyone who has PM'd you, even if you don't have the ability to send your own PM's.

I understand if the software you are using is unable to do this, and if you don't have the requisite php skills to code the feature in. The only reason I started this thread was so that you could be aware of a software configuration that does not make sense. As a business person, I tell people when their product can be improved.

No one is saying that the policy of requiring a minimum number of posts in order to PM is a bad one. We are saying that the policy of not being able to READ PM's a member with this priviledge has sent is a bad one.

The software should allow you to read PM's, and reply to anyone who has PM'd you, even if you don't have the ability to send your own PM's.

I understand if the software you are using is unable to do this, and if you don't have the requisite php skills to code the feature in. The only reason I started this thread was so that you could be aware of a software configuration that does not make sense. As a business person, I tell people when their product can be improved.
    I'm sure Haiko will be grateful for the edification [I'm being sarcastic]

Captain Morgram, the way this forum works is that you get what you give.

PMing is considered a privilege. Participate with posts of quality and before you know it, the privileges will be yours

Here's a tip: get involved in the conversations (threads).
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 23rd, 2006 at 11:57 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    It's like a phone ringing Cap'n. Let it ring - you can get the message later

We all had the same requirements when we joined. Time goes by quickly and the posts that you place sharing great advice and information with the community will make it seem like the blink of an eye. Have fun - contribute and watch the time fly by!!
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; September 24th, 2006 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typo
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I will post until I can read it.
    Postings like this in future will not permit you to post or read anything on ABW.

Please continue to post productive and beneficial posts and before you know it you'll have PM and many other rights as well.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    I can think of another BIG advantage of disallowing PMs for while altogether.

Many newbies come in all innocent and trusting, not knowing that the net is an ocean full of sharks. There could be some who have been around for a while and are unscrupulous who might try to take advantage of what looks like innocent newbies and try to sell them on services or recruit them for junk. Making the requirement a certain post amount at least gives the noobs a chance to be around for a while and see who's who before falling for a line of BS.

Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    If you have a problem with defending the forum against drive by spammers, etc, then may I ask why?
    I did not in any way make that statement. Clearly, spam is a problem, and the admins have every right to try to thwart it.

My problem is with their current solution: denying people the ability to read messages.

As mentioned elsewhere, it would make more sense to just block newbys from the PM system entirely (not allow anyone to send them messages) rather than let people PM them, but block them from even reading the messages.

As most other forums have found other solutions to the same problem, I don't see why several of this board's otherwise friendly and helpful members should find it so threatening for a few brave souls to suggest there might be a better way.

Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast