Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How Fast Can You Do it?
    Knowing what you know about affiliate marketing, how to create msql databases etc

If all your sites were wiped out and there was no way to backup, you had no backup on your computer

How fast could you get your site back online, content, links etc?

How would you do it? Datafeed site or non datafeed?

http and a telephoto
    Anyone with no backups at all anywhere shouldn't be in business...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Interesting question - I am anxious to see the answers from some of the old salts in here. I hope that is not what happened to you - though I shutter to think that it might have - hence the question...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by loxly

smart but that doesnt really answer the question.. this is theoretically

http and a telephoto
    There are a lot of "it depends" that would go into answering that question, anywhere from a few hours to a few months depending on site(s) size....
    Deborah Carney

What types of backups would you suggest, Loxly?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What types of backups would you suggest, Loxly?
    You should have at the very least a local copy of your website on your computer, and burned to dvd.

There are server backups and lots of other backup solutions that you can have in place depending on the size of your sites and databases.
    Deborah Carney

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yeesh! NO backups?!

Well in the case of a nationwide EMP blast, I'd guess a couple of days to get the main sites back online.

Others to be revivified at my leisure.

Such a thing sounds horrifically workful. Fortunately I keep backups!

Both. I like having different types of sites. As long as they're sales sites!

Any info-content sites of mine would very likely R.I.P. I can't even stay interested in the one I managed to get to make money.

Links...the outside ones would still be there. It's not like everyone would insta-know the sites had been down. Internals go back up when the sites do.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Any info-content sites of mine would very likely R.I.P. I can't even stay interested in the one I managed to get to make money.
    Could always hit Google's cache or the WayBackMachine to easily get these types back up.

I keep local copies, my DB is on a separate box and my webserver is backed up regularly, but if So. Cal. were to slip into the Pacific and my local machine went up in a massive fireball, I'd likely only bother with a couple sites as well. In a lot of cases I have images files and word docs for the text, etc. It's only some of the more hardcore technical sites that'd really be tough to reproduce, but those could use a rebuild from scratch in some cases anyway, so no real worries.

For me, a more relevant question might be:

Q: If the bottom fell out of everything you promote, do, etc, and you hit ZERO income overnight, with no productive sites of any kind, how fast could you rebuild?

A: I hope it goes a little faster this time...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

it's all a matter of quality...speed does not match function

happened to me, but I had a back up of my database but not my files.

Took me 6 hours with the help of Google webcache

Common people, hard drives are so cheap these days ... just back it up!

If you don't just have one excuse. LAZY!

Yikes. I backup my stuff all the time. With the new laptop coming in, I'll be using this one as additional storage and a second development machine (not quite fully mirrored) if my main one ever goes kaput. This way I can just switch over and continue work while I wait for a fix.

As far as time is concerned, I shudder to think of having to do all of this over again. I've probably spent hundreds of hours on some of my sites prior to release - and it would test my sanity if I thought all of that hard work was lost. And I don't doubt it would discourage me enough to have to take a week off while I regain my composure... lol

ok folks this thread isnt about backing up or who has or hasnt..

maybe i should have worded it better..

If you had no sites online but knew what you knew now what would you build

database driven sites or niche sites that are just like 50 pages?

would you use ppc or both ppc and seo

Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable
    Knowing what you know about affiliate marketing, how to create msql databases etc

If all your sites were wiped out and there was no way to backup, you had no backup on your computer

The PHP/MySQL sites, in less that 72 hrs.

The FrontPage, WM, hand-made sites, from the day after, until eternity.

The new CJ Webservices sites, when .

Oh, that's a whole different set of questions.

I'd build mall sites again, some database driven and some handmade.

I would NOT waste 2c on any darned niche affiliate sites in your new scenario--as a matter of fact, I've just let a bunch of dead niche domains expire. Some of them had performed okay for a while, but most of them were a waste of disk space.

On a mall, if you have (for example) 20 product lines and 10 of 'em don't sell Jack, at least you're not stuck with 10 clunker domain names to go with them. You'd just replace the nonstarters with something else, and repeat that process until you had weeded out the junk. It's a lot faster to switch out mall pages than it is to make a whole new site for every line, or at least it is for me.

As for promotion, it all boils down to how much free traffic's coming. SEO's great--when you can get ranked. If you can't, time to grease the wheels with PPC. Which PPC engine? IMO the point of using PPC is to not have to fiddle with an algo. If I'm going to dink around with an algo it's darned sure going to be the one for the FREE listings! So Overture gets my business. Their bid-for-rank method is transparent and fair: It's an auction setup--you bid high, you win. None of the mumbo-jumbo AdWords throws in to extort people into either bidding higher or trying to get a bunch of dud clicks that should actually be studiously avoided!

On a mall, if you have (for example) 20 product lines and 10 of 'em don't sell Jack, at least you're not stuck with 10 clunker domain names to go with them. You'd just replace the nonstarters with something else, and repeat that process until you had weeded out the junk. It's a lot faster to switch out mall pages than it is to make a whole new site for every line, or at least it is for me.
    I gree!

For me too!

http and a telephoto

Worded differently? lol, that is a whole different problem altogether. And most have changed their sites to go with the flow and the times, so again, don't need their sites to be bombed in order to do something different

And to answer your question... all of the above, just faster and smarter than the first time around.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Oh, that's a whole different set of questions.

I'd build mall sites again, some database driven and some handmade.

I would NOT waste 2c on any darned niche affiliate sites in your new scenario--as a matter of fact, I've just let a bunch of dead niche domains expire. Some of them had performed okay for a while, but most of them were a waste of disk space.

As for promotion, it all boils down to how much free traffic's coming. SEO's great--when you can get ranked. If you can't, time to grease the wheels with PPC. Which PPC engine? IMO the point of using PPC is to not have to fiddle with an algo. If I'm going to dink around with an algo it's darned sure going to be the one for the FREE listings! So Overture gets my business. Their bid-for-rank method is transparent and fair: It's an auction setup--you bid high, you win. None of the mumbo-jumbo AdWords throws in to extort people into either bidding higher or trying to get a bunch of dud clicks that should actually be studiously avoided!

Yeah i agree i hate adwords.. love overture and miva
    when you build mall sites, where did you learn to make database ones.. i wish there was a darn tutorial online that took people through it step 1 step 2.. etc. .with a shareasale datafeed.. i would only have to be shown once and I would be off to the races..

the other thing is I know you cant put affilaite links here, and you dont wish to point out certain peoples but for the sake of showing some examples of what you class as a good database driven site

could you at least say.. go to google and type in this KEYWORD

look site 3 , site 6 on the first page.. those are good database sites..

I just want to get an idea

If I had to start from scratch it'd take me several weeks, if not months to rebuild everything. It's taken me almost 3 years of development to get to where I'm at with my shopping engine. Of course it'd happen a lot quicker this time around since I know exactly what I want.

This brings up an interesting point. If you can rebuild everything from scratch in just a matter of days what's to stop somebody else from outdoing your establishment on a whim? I think it's important to have something substantial under your feet just so it's harder for the next guy to compete. If a company could build the next Google in a few days Google wouldn't be on top.

Of course your established userbase is another story. Somebody could surpass your site in terms of features, content and usability, but if you've got a loyal audience they can't take that away from you right away.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I have so many copies of varying ages, the only way I would totally wiped out would be a nuclear bomb on the region where I live and then on the servers, and then on the back-up servers - and then probably the Wayback machine.

The most likely way my sites would disappear would need for me to suffer total amnesia as to where everything is - in which caes I couldn't build any sites anyhow as I wouldn't know how.

It's a question you should work towards never having to even think of an answer as there are so many back-ups, including discs held by friends and relations.

http and a telephoto
    i wish there was a darn tutorial online that took people through it step 1 step 2.. etc. .with a shareasale datafeed.. i would only have to be shown once and I would be off to the races..
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=77970
    Deborah Carney

Yeah i agree i hate adwords.. love overture and miva
    when you build mall sites, where did you learn to make database ones.. i wish there was a darn tutorial online that took people through it step 1 step 2.. etc. .with a shareasale datafeed.. i would only have to be shown once and I would be off to the races..
    I've been at this 10 years and still either can't build or just haven't built a decent mall site. We all learn in different directions and end up doing what works for us. Any step by step plan would be what works for that affiliate. Actual mileage may vary...

I guess what I'm saying is, just go grab some data, get your hands dirty messing with it for a while and see what you end up with. Take what works, improve on it and apply to the next site. Scrap what doesn't work. Repeat.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    This brings up an interesting point. If you can rebuild everything from scratch in just a matter of days what's to stop somebody else from outdoing your establishment on a whim? I think it's important to have something substantial under your feet just so it's harder for the next guy to compete.
    They'd have to know how to do it. Granted if something is more complex, it makes the learning curve steeper. But there're also plenty who don't know how to make a db-driven site at all.

Plus, complexity is not substantiality, and in fact it's often the opposite. A house of cards can be extremely complex, but is insubstantial by its very nature. On the other hand, a simple cobblestone cottage can last more than 100 years.

A cottage is too small for my tastes, but I'd sure rather be in a (larger) stone or brick structure if a storm hit, than in an intricate but delicate setup.

Some features are nice, sure. But going overboard can have the effect of introducing instability, without providing much return. CJ's got an intricate setup, and it breeds bugs to the point that any little change they make seems to crash it.

If a company could build the next Google in a few days Google wouldn't be on top.
    I think your last comment about "established userbase" has more to do with G's continued dominance than what it'd take to build another Google. Yahoo and MSN's search results don't suck, but people are just used to "googling" stuff so they keep doing it.

That's branding, not features, at work.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast