W-9 request? Again?
    When I logged in to check my stats I found the following message. You had my info the past several years, now you don't?

"Our records indicate that we do not have a required W-9 on file for your account - in order to ensure timely payment please click here."

Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

I got the same thing yesterday. I thought I gave them that info when I signed up. I printed the form and was going to mail it to but forgot it at home. Brian, is this necessary?

ABW Ambassador
    Got it too, was wondering if we can do it online. There is some kind of Cut Down On Paperwork act or something where you can do this kind of thing without having to mail something or fax something.

* Paperwork Reduction Act, is that it?
    http://www.cio.gov/archive/paperwork..._act_1995.html

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Some people have emailed .pdfs, yes... that is fine - as long as you sign it.

We don't like keeping these forms any more than you like sending them, but we try our best to keep up with ever-changing IRS regulations, etc... and one of them includes the "updating" of information every once in a while ... we need to get this information from everyone so I appreciate everyones cooperation. Thanks
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

!@#$%^& I don't even have a printer cartrage and don't want to buy one for this. That means I have to go find a w-9 somewhere or find someone to print one for me.

Danged government!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    "Some people have emailed .pdfs, yes... that is fine - as long as you sign it. "

How do you do that exactly? If I can do it online, that would be my preference.

I got this in my Adobe Acrobat reader:
    http://www.shareasale.com/taxes/SAS-w9.pdf

and there is an email link that says Send a copy of the PDF file, including your changes, as an attachment?

Is that the one I do? And how do you fill out anything in that thing? I've never done it before.

"Danged government!"

Yeah but there should be a way to do it online. I've never had to send one in for any of the networks, the only time I've had to do it is for some indy's and some indy's have it where you can do it online too.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I got this in my Adobe Acrobat reader:
    http://www.shareasale.com/taxes/SAS-w9.pdf

and there is an email link that says Send a copy of the PDF file, including your changes, as an attachment?

Is that the one I do? And how do you fill out anything in that thing? I've never done it before.
    I can type right on the form to fill out all the information they need. You can't?
    Add: just click on the blank area, and start to type.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, I can, must have been doing something wrong.

Shouldn't that page be secure? I don't see an s after http

ABW Ambassador
    It is just a form. You need to save it after filling out the info and sent it to SAS.

Trust,

Unless you submit something by hitting the "Submit" button on a form, for example... nothing is sent through the web... thus, no need for an https:// Any sensitive information you are typing in would be on your computer...not through a web interface and not sent through "Submit", etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I tried twice to fax it free through FaxZero (I don't have a fax machine, but FaxZero can make a PDF into a fax), but they said the fax failed on both attempts.
    So I snail-mailed mine.

As for sending it via PDF attachment, wouldn't a person still have to print it out so they could sign it? Then scan the signed copy in as a PDF and email it?

For other networks, I had to either send or fax one to Perf. years ago. It caused me a minor PITA, so there must have been paperwork involved. And I think I mailed one to some other place at some point. It might have been SAS now that I think of it!

ABW Ambassador
    Alright thanks.

On a side note about the s after http. There was another thread about SAS not having that after you login, Performics doesn't either. Linkshare and CJ does. Is that a concern?

Yeah, I remember that thread... if you want to access the login via a secure interface you can do so at

https://shareasale.com/a-login.cfm

Leader,

A lot of affiliates have their signature in a "digital" format for things like this so they can just include it in the .pdf, etc... although, I am sure there are others who have scanned instead.

As above, even if you sent one to us several years ago, there are requirements by the IRS that involve updating records, these are things we can't control...

On the page we created with the w9, etc... you'll note that we are asking folks to have this done by the end of October as we recognize there are some difficulties with printing/faxing/etc... We're hoping that gives everyone enough time.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for that url, it operates a little differently that LS and CJ. After logging in, it goes away with SAS, stays with CJ and LS. Not sure if that matters or not?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Non-US affiliates only have to fill out a W8-BEN in they have US-sourced income.

Ones without US-sourced income need only send the merchant a statement confirming they have no US-sourced income, or digitally confirm it via a checkbox on the merchant's site - like Google does with their adsense program..

I was printer cartridge deficient as well but my local library printed one out for me!

Brian,

The Form 9 you have online only allows 9 digits in the EIN ... 2 digits, a dash, and 7 digits.

Our EIN is 10 digits ... 2 and a dash followed by 8 digits.

Any suggestion on how to fill out the form online? Will we be forced to print and mail/fax?

And if we mail/fax, you only need the front page ... correct?

The Old Sarge

Never mind the thing about the digits.

I contacted the regional IRS office. Turns out they stuck in too many 9s when they notified us ... three years ago!

I wonder how many suppliers, etc. I have to notify ....

The Old Sarge

Isn't there a difference in saying that NO W-9 is on file instead of really "we need to update it due to IRS changes in the form"?

Though I wasn't aware of any changes in the W-9 significant enough to warrant requesting all new forms. What are the changes that make it necessary?

Prints up in a Funny Way
    To SAS -- you might want to check the way you created the pdf file.

I'll fill out your W-9 and send it to you as is.

I printed your pdf file 4 times!

Each time a blank vertical stripe goes down the middle so it looks kind of like this:

Request r Taxpayer
    Identification Nu er and Certification

The blank stripe interrupts the lines of the form somewhat and goes all the way down the form but it will have to suffice.

I can print other documents without that problem and the printing cartridge is relatively new (I use a laser printer).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Isn't there a difference in saying that NO W-9 is on file instead of really "we need to update it due to IRS changes in the form"?

Though I wasn't aware of any changes in the W-9 significant enough to warrant requesting all new forms. What are the changes that make it necessary?
    I like your way of thinking, Nakedgamer
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Strange about that line. I didn't have any white line printing mine!

Did you set it (in Adobe's print box) to fit to printer margins? I did, and it shrank the form by something like 4% when I ran it. It sounds to me like your printer just chucked some stuff out of the center of the page, instead of reducing it proportionally--but setting it to fit should make it do a proper reduction.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

No problems with my form, either.
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

ABW Ambassador
    No problem with the form here, sounds like it's the printer setting. Might need a roller cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Strange about that line. I didn't have any white line printing mine!

Did you set it (in Adobe's print box) to fit to printer margins? I did, and it shrank the form by something like 4% when I ran it. It sounds to me like your printer just chucked some stuff out of the center of the page, instead of reducing it proportionally--but setting it to fit should make it do a proper reduction.
    I tried your advice but I still get a lovely white (thin) stripe down the middle -- it should suffice.

This doesn't happen to other things I print -- so I don't know the cause of this.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread