Used to be a BOOK advertised on here???
    Do you remember a while back a book Orange and White being advertised on here about learning datafeeds using MYSQL and PHP? anyone remember the name of it

I think this was it.http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/

is it worth getting?? is this the best way to learn

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I love that book, own a copy, use it often and have been building really great sites with what I learned in it. I built a database driven rug site for my first big php / mysql project and it was a hit (not just because of php, but it's critical element for sure). My latest site is refined more, using php/mysql galore and running great. Maintenance is easier (complex to setup, but can do a lot more in less time once it's setup).

I highly recommend that book.

The other sitepoint book I have bought, was equally good. The CSS Anthology.

Using CSS and PHP/MySQL, I gotta tell ya, I rock.

My copy of the PHP bookk says PHP5 on the binding (which is good enough for me). It's ISBN is listed as 0-9752402-1-8. I'd check ebay and amazon for used copies - bet you could get one cheap. It's well worth the full price, but I don't know you're budget.

Like any book, you get out of it what you put in. The book won't make you learn or make you smart, but with some solid effort, I attest to you, that everything you need to know is in there and well-organized and well-written.

Good luck!

Thanks for the book recommendation, Donuts
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ditto what Rhia said Donuts!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Add another "Ditto" to that, Donuts.

I first downloaded sample chapters of that database driven web site book a couple of years ago, but bought a different book instead. Wrong move. It was far too advanced and "dense" for my beginner's brain.

I just went to amazon.com and found both books Donuts mentions in his post in stock and for sale at $27-$28 bucks each? (Closed the site after I ordered them and can't remember the exact dollar figure. Duh.)

Gary Speer

The best way to learn is to do. Action I say! There is no reason you cannot download something from http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html and be coding php within the next hour. Look for their xampp product. You can have a local install of apache/mysql/php up and running as fast your connection can get it to you.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Ordered!! It's $38.95 USD. I'm looking forward to it, but most of all passing it on to our programmer & techs. Thanks again Donuts.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

What do your programmers use now - out of curiosity?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Not being the tech end in our business structure I ordered it so I can learn something new. Other than that, I'm sure the techies will find useful info in it also.

We do a lot of "learning by doing" but I like any kind of new info I can get my hands on in order to better understand what our techies do. Makes for better communications between management and programming.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!!

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    The best way to learn is to do. Action I say! There is no reason you cannot download something from http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html and be coding php within the next hour. Look for their xampp product. You can have a local install of apache/mysql/php up and running as fast your connection can get it to you.
    Has anyone else used this ????

Will it screw up your computer or anything ??

I run Windows XP Professional.

Thanks for the Information.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Do some googling on it if you are concerned. I've used it multiple times and never had a problem. It just installs and configures 4 products that you would normally have to download manually and configure manually. I've never heard it mentioned on here by anybody else. Then again I don't really know too many other people on here that live and breath programming like I do.
    ---
    ---

I learn more by someone showing examples

I.e Here are 3 database driven sites site working off datafeeds, each one shows different layout, they use descriptions and pull in reviews from other sites for each product if one is available

2. To learn how to build these sites you see above, you will need to watch me build one from scratch.. then just follow my exact steps that i show in these videos

NOW that is how i learn and that I would pay $200 for or more

no ... I'm amused but Im gonna let someone else take this.
    I'll end up sounding snippy/snotty or something
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

seriously some of you database, datafeed masters should should record yourself doing 1 site, then sell it you would make a ton.. as how many products are out there showing it in action?

how many provide expert tips and tricks?

sure and then everyone does it and no one gets paid.
    reality is as much as people like helping people here, we are in business.
    Does Ford show GM their manufacturing process?
    Why is that do you think?
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    sure and then everyone does it and no one gets paid.
    reality is as much as people like helping people here, we are in business.
    Does Ford show GM their manufacturing process?
    Why is that do you think?
    No i disagree, there are people who buy and do nothing with information

there are people who buy and give up

the % of people who follow information and stay doing it are very slim!!

My 9-to-5 job is working at a company with a database driven site (not product based) and I've learned a lot from this.

To start developing a database driven/datafeed driven site, what I did was found a FREE database site through AWMSO or one of the others and STUDIED it. I read the PHP, and looked at the DB setup and saw the light of day begin to dawn. It was a MegaFitness template I got somewhere that I can't find right now... Anyone...?

Now granted that site hasn't come to anything yet, it's still on my home server in development, but it's looking pretty good. The trick so far is managing the datafeed import. That's what I'd love to know. The concept of 1000s of affiliates all coming up with their own DataFeed Wrangling (mangling) script seems like a lot of duplicated effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Talus
    My 9-to-5 job is working at a company with a database driven site (not product based) and I've learned a lot from this.

To start developing a database driven/datafeed driven site, what I did was found a FREE database site through AWMSO or one of the others and STUDIED it. I read the PHP, and looked at the DB setup and saw the light of day begin to dawn. It was a MegaFitness template I got somewhere that I can't find right now... Anyone...?

Now granted that site hasn't come to anything yet, it's still on my home server in development, but it's looking pretty good. The trick so far is managing the datafeed import. That's what I'd love to know. The concept of 1000s of affiliates all coming up with their own DataFeed Wrangling (mangling) script seems like a lot of duplicated effort.
    yeah well being as noone will give out there damn site to look at as they are all scared of being taken over.. how can someone learn.. Just guessing..

Considering your name is "more than able", you're not helping yourself.

Follow lots of links, read things, think creatively when searching and seeing the resources people give you. Editted - I was a bit harsh

Search for 5 Star Affiliate Programs (.com) and look on the RIGHT side of their page for a link near the bottom that says "Free Affiliate Datafeeds." (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link). Then read up on the programs, find one of the FREE templates that looks interesting and tear it apart. Read it line by line and see how it works. Everything you need to get started is there. Copying them won't make you a success, since they're generally pretty basic, but the CONCEPT is there.

It's like the old "Teach a man to fish..." Someone could just GIVE you want you want, but what have you learned...? Nothing. Could you do it over again? Probably not. Learn what's to learn. Then you'll be a success.

Jeff

Here is another way to think about it:

I have A: List of products and their associated information
    I need B: A list of those products on a site in HTML made all purdy like

How do I get from what I have to what I need? That is what you use a programming language for. If you learn and practice and read all of FREE information out there it will tell you how to turn what you have into what you need. There is no template. There is no magic formula. And there is no shortcut. I could charge you $90 an hour (because I can get that) and teach you how to get from point A to point B. But I have given you the fish. You need to learn to fish (as mentioned before) and possibly slapped with a fish
    ---
    ---

Talking Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable
    seriously some of you database, datafeed masters should should record yourself doing 1 site, then sell it you would make a ton.. as how many products are out there showing it in action?

how many provide expert tips and tricks?
    I would buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Talus
    Considering your name is "more than able", you're not helping yourself.

Follow lots of links, read things, think creatively when searching and seeing the resources people give you. Editted - I was a bit harsh

Search for 5 Star Affiliate Programs (.com) and look on the RIGHT side of their page for a link near the bottom that says "Free Affiliate Datafeeds." (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link). Then read up on the programs, find one of the FREE templates that looks interesting and tear it apart. Read it line by line and see how it works. Everything you need to get started is there. Copying them won't make you a success, since they're generally pretty basic, but the CONCEPT is there.

It's like the old "Teach a man to fish..." Someone could just GIVE you want you want, but what have you learned...? Nothing. Could you do it over again? Probably not. Learn what's to learn. Then you'll be a success.

Jeff
    where are the free templates that your speaking about for tearing apart located??

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread