Question Do you think this site makes money?
    Not my site, just curious if anyone thinks this site is for money or just someones hobby:

[Removed]

and what about http://del.icio.us?

Are these site just for fun, hobby, edification of mankind? Just thought I'd get some thoughts on these "Web 2.0" sites.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; September 21st, 2006 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Removed possible affiliate site

The Forum Rules prohibit posting links that might reveal other affiliate sites. I know that del.icio.us is not an affiliate site. The other one didn't look like one either but it's possible that it was, so I removed it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I put it because they were not affiliate links. They are certainly not mine. I wondered how they made money. That's all. Sorry for any rule breaking. I was genuinely interested.

It might not have been an affiliate site, but I went ahead and removed the link just to be safe.

There are many ways to monetize sites other than affiliate links. The site you listed accepts advertising, so that's probably their primary form of monetization. AdSense, membership fees, and sponsorship are other ways to monetize sites. Some sites aren't monetized at all, and most amateur sites probably don't earn enough to even cover hosting fees.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It might not have been an affiliate site, but I went ahead and removed the link just to be safe.
    Yeah as the link might have blown up lol..

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey

There are many ways to monetize sites other than affiliate links. The site you listed accepts advertising, so that's probably their primary form of monetization. AdSense, membership fees, and sponsorship are other ways to monetize sites. Some sites aren't monetized at all, and most amateur sites probably don't earn enough to even cover hosting fees.

michael is amazing bargains your only site? and if so.. give us a ballpark figure of what you make from it?

Also how did you make it using webmerge or is it a template and database driven??

Pretty personal question to ask how much someone makes on a site, I can't imagine Michael or anyone else here answering that for you.

Don't forget to include your social security number, your credit card numbers (with expiration dates) and your home address. Oh, and how much did you pay for your home and what did you say your checking acct. balance is?

What I really enjoy about this forum is the anonymity and if things such as numbers are shared, its because a mutal trust has been developed.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable
    michael is amazing bargains your only site? and if so.. give us a ballpark figure of what you make from it
    This is an inappropriate question...
    Last edited by loxly; September 22nd, 2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: fixed quote typo :)

I know del.icio.us was bought out by Yahoo for several million. I'd say they were able to make some money at least by acquisition.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

dont know why we are so protective of saying how much we earn ballpark..

1) its rude
    2) why encourage people to rip off your site more than people already do
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I make $3454.07 per day and you can too just send $179.99 to my secure server at ********.com and I will send you my ebook telling you how. Oh thats right I cant give you the webaddress here so PM me and I will... Oh you don't have PM ... Guess you are out of luck.

Sorry I am in a bad mood today but I think you get the drift here.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Asking a person what he makes is like asking you boss or co-worker how much he makes. Let me know if that will get you in hot soup with your boss..

What next, SS#

------

As for the del.icio.us
    For those who are curious about the domain, I was anyway... cos I have not heard of it and "How in the world did it get a Google PR of 8"?

Here is some info bout the domain
    "December 9, 2005 Yahoo! acquires del.icio.us"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Finance

66,000 linking to del.icio.us

basically the doman is www.icio.us
    and the del is a subdomain..
    Core business: "Del.icio.us, the popular social bookmarking and tagging service"
    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...04282103&EDATE

Explains a lot about the PR.

It is not a hobby if Yahoo is involved with the site.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I had a Del.icio.us account about 6 months ago (found out about it from Blogger) but I have forgotten my password LOL I have these ad to del.icio.us buttons on my IE browser and cant use them I can't get rid of them either cause I don't know the password (I had forgotten about them once I started using FF almost full time)
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

I think the first question was a valid reasonable question. Is that his only site?

As for how much he is making, ballpark even, wouldn't be useful. The site alone is not what makes money but how much time and effort on the owners part is also essential. Any site is capable of making millions (within reason), and at the same time not making a nickel.

Whether he used webmerge or not seems like a reasonable question as well considering how many here do use it (it has it's own forum for goodness sake).

IMHO.

I think the questions are to be expected on an affiliate forum, but it is not expected that he should answer. He probably doesn't feel it's anyone's business or he would have answered. Typically, money questions are considered personal, though I understand (as my first statement said) that this is a forum for information exchange (among other things), so it is not unexpected that one would ask.

ABW Ambassador
    It's a matter of what's appropriate vs. impertinent, and also of proper forum etiquette.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Asking a person what he makes is like asking you boss or co-worker how much he makes. Let me know if that will get you in hot soup with your boss..
    That depends on the company and position level.

At a low-level job? Sure, ask away, they even pass their checks around and then hope to get the right one back before quitting time. A truly teen-riddled one will even have the boss, who's all of 19 or 20, in on the games.

At any position that can result in something approaching serious money, most people are a lot more reluctant to state figures. On here it's similar, unless they're so new to making decent money that they can't resist shouting it from the rooftops!

Michael Coley definitely won't tell, and IIRC he won't tell how much traffic he gets either.

michael is amazing bargains your only site? and if so.. give us a ballpark figure of what you make from it?

Also how did you make it using webmerge or is it a template and database driven??
    I haven't responded because I don't think the questions merit a response, but I can see now that the discussion won't stop until I do respond, so here's my response:

NO COMMENT.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    basically the doman is www.icio.us
    and the del is a subdomain..
    [pedant]

well, no, actually.

icio.us is the domain (which is a subdomain of us. which is in turn a subdomain of .)

both www.icio.us and del.icio.us are subdomains of icio.us

[/pedant]

Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    This is an inappropriate question...
    Agreed. Obviously anyone who is in this business and has been for some time makes enough to keep doing it. That is about all of the information people need to know.

dont know why we are so protective of saying how much we earn ballpark..
    If you are so open to sharing, why are you posting under an alias?

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread