What changes have to be made to datafeed sites to be seo friendly
    Obviously datafeed sites the basic ones through webmerge google hates them

so how do you still work with them and have google like your site?

Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable

don't hate "all" the sites made with WebMerge!

That is Top Secret! (classified)

If they tell you, they'll have to You.

Hehe - love/hate the Google smilie, Mr. Sal!

Not sure about webmerge in particular, but as with anything else, build up unique content that people link to. More specifically, don't put hundreds of products on one page and divide everything into categories (not too specific though!).

ABW Ambassador
    Morethanable, some people have already come up with a viable solution for their own sites, and right now I'm personally considering how to add datafeeds to my already existing hand-rolled sites without incurring the problems often associated with using datafeeds. Not all sites are the same, and not all need the same modifications, hacks and tweaks.

Unfortunately, the case is usually that Macy's doesn't tell Gimbels.

http and a telephoto

You make them unique and not like other sites. I am not sure what you are calling "basic ones through webmerge" unless you mean "untemplated toss up the feed without modifying it" sites. Webmerge is one of the programs that has ways for you to make a very seo friendly site, if you take the time to learn how. It isn't a fast, easy to learn program, but once you master it you should be making sites that do NOT look like they were created using Webmerge at all
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'd say use your own categories, normalize manufacturer information by removing things like "Inc.", and maybe replace descriptions with aggregated reviews. It might also be a good idea to change around the product names to fit your site better. For example one datafeed may list something as a 17" monitor where another will list it as a 17-inch monitor. See what you can do to make both of those read 17in monitor. This is really just the tip of the iceberg though. The more you change and manipulate the information to make it your own the better.

A good strategy is to make these changes permanent. Once you do it once, try to ensure it happens automatically with each pricing and inventory update you do. The more time you spend physically handing each datafeed, the less time you'll have to add new datafeeds.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I'd say use your own categories, normalize manufacturer information by removing things like "Inc.", and maybe replace descriptions with aggregated reviews. It might also be a good idea to change around the product names to fit your site better. For example one datafeed may list something as a 17" monitor where another will list it as a 17-inch monitor. See what you can do to make both of those read 17in monitor. This is really just the tip of the iceberg though. The more you change and manipulate the information to make it your own the better.

A good strategy is to make these changes permanent. Once you do it once, try to ensure it happens automatically with each pricing and inventory update you do. The more time you spend physically handing each datafeed, the less time you'll have to add new datafeeds.

- Scott
    nice scott

Scott, is their a tutorial that you took to learn mysql and php for datafeeds.. i really would like to learn the way others are doing it but still looking for a good tutorial

================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

nice scott

Scott, is their a tutorial that you took to learn mysql and php for datafeeds.. i really would like to learn the way others are doing it but still looking for a good tutorial
    I doubt you'll find a specific tutorial for this. You might want to look into a book or course on database management and web development. I don't think you can just jump in from here. You really need to start from the beginning to grasp web development and programming.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I doubt you'll find a specific tutorial for this. You might want to look into a book or course on database management and web development. I don't think you can just jump in from here. You really need to start from the beginning to grasp web development and programming.

- Scott

Scott would you recommend this

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/

Scott would you recommend this

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/
    I don't know anything about that book. When I was in school I took a class on database management. It really was a great class and taught me a lot about the ins and outs of SQL and databases. This is what I was thinking about when I made my post. One of our projects was to create a database interface script like phpmyadmin. It really was a fun project and we got to learn a lot about the nitty gritty of databases. Maybe this isn't completely necessary in your case, but I do strongly recommend understanding how SQL works. This is a programming language in it's own right. It's probably the most crucial part to any site using a database. I suggest learning the basics like select, update, insert, where, order by, etc. This is extremely important and it just becomes more important as you advance. You may eventually need to get into table joins, indexing, fulltext indexing and compiled functions.

I really can't stress how important it is to really understand SQL when you start working with databases.

- Scott

I really can't stress how important it is to really understand SQL when you start working with databases.
    My mind was blown when I went back over some older sites. I took some time to see how I could improve the efficiency of the scripts and speed up/optimize my dbs. I went a lot deeper into SQL and bought a book dedicated to it. (not one of those combo books). That quote from Snib sums it up. It's a huge advantage to have more SQL knowledge. I still have a Looooooooooong way to go but already I have made so many improvements.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread