Things From Another World, Inc & Specific Product Linking
    I wanted to view products for Things From Another World, Inc. but when I click on the Get Specific Product Linking Code link all I get is: "Please provide a comment if you are applying for FTP Access."

The Datafeed Contains 55681 Products -- I do not want the entire feed!

I don't know if my dial-up account can even handle that size of feed via FTP

I thought that if a merchant made the datafeed available to SAS, by default the "View Products" would work -- why can't I view specific products?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hi Rhia,

Thanks for your interest in our program.

i can't seem to get to the "View Products" page either. It appears to be redirecting to the datafeed page, for how long I'm not quite sure. I seem to remember using this page at some point in the past, but I'm not sure how long ago that might have been.

Brian, is the "View Products" page under construction?

As to your question about size, the zipped version of our feed is 4.4MB, which is entirely possible to download on a dialup line (not quickly mind you, but it will work). Please note that our feed is also available without having FTP access by using the "Download CSV" link on the datafeeds page that you mentioned.

Once downloaded, the expanded feed file is 22.7MB, which is ... not small. If you have a decent text editor or Excel, you should be able to extract the records that you're looking for and discard the rest.

If for some reason you can't open the file in Excel or a text editor, there are also free tools available that can extract just the lines matching a certain phrase. For example, you could extract all lines containing the phrase "Star Wars" to get just the 445 Star Wars products in our feed.

Besides the datafeed, you may also use the "Create a Custom Link to a Page" feature on SAS to build a custom link with urllink. Cruise around our website until you find the landing page, search result, or specific product that you want to link to, then paste the URL into this page:
    http://www.shareasale.com/a-customproductlink.cfm

Unfortunately this method is pretty time consuming for making individual product links. Pointing to landing pages or search results work quite well though, and have a higher likelihood of displaying useful results over the long term.

Another way to build links is with the "Make a Page" feature. You could potentially "make a page" containing the products you want, and then extract the SAS links from the generated html.

Finally, you could try using either GoldenCAN or DataFeedFile to build the exact datafeed results that you need. We recently added support for both of these vendors, and their tools work quite well. If you're uncomfortable working with large datafeeds, these tools ease that burden quite nicely.

I hope that some of this information is helpful to you, and that I didn't totally overwhelm you with choices. If you would like to talk about any specific issues or problems, please PM or email me at any time.

Thanks and good luck.

-Dale
    Dale LaFountain, CIO, <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/">Things From Another World</a> - More Comics. More Toys. More Stuff. More FUN!
    14% base comm / up to 21.5% w/perf incent / 90 return days / parasite free / HUGE datafeed / <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/Help/Affiliate-Information___168?qt=abw">[b]Join[/b]</a>

Dale,

Thank you for your post but I still stand by:

"I thought that if a merchant made the datafeed available to SAS, by default the "View Products" would work -- why can't I view specific products?"

This needs to be fixed.

I don't have the time (or the inclination) to download feeds (at the moment) on my dial-up ... but I would like to thank Dale for addressing my original post with detailed consideration.

Could Brian or someone from SAS' illustrious engineering department address the issue?

"View Specific Products" should work otherwise a webmaster like myself might just skip the "problematic inventory" and go on to something else (perhaps another merchant and/or network whose specific products are available)
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Even when it's working lately, it involves leafing through all the pages sequentially to dig out specific products. No search for words and phrases like there used to be, which I always used. If it's gone forever, we really should be told so we'll stop asking and thinking it'll be restored.

The only (and best) current alternative is to use makeapage at SAS, where hopefully the merchant feeds have had to be categorized. If some merchants don't they should.

I agree that the View Products page should be addressed by SAS. This is a useful feature for many.

My other answers were not intended to distract you from the original question, but rather to give you some alternatives to move forward while we wait for an answer/resolution from SAS.

Thanks,

Dale
    Dale LaFountain, CIO, <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/">Things From Another World</a> - More Comics. More Toys. More Stuff. More FUN!
    14% base comm / up to 21.5% w/perf incent / 90 return days / parasite free / HUGE datafeed / <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/Help/Affiliate-Information___168?qt=abw">[b]Join[/b]</a>

Quote Originally Posted by TFAW.com
    I agree that the View Products page should be addressed by SAS. This is a useful feature for many.

My other answers were not intended to distract you from the original question, but rather to give you some alternatives to move forward while we wait for an answer/resolution from SAS.

Thanks,

Dale
    Dale,

I acknowledged your original post with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I would like to thank Dale for addressing my original post with detailed consideration.
    Dale, at least you came to the forum to discuss the issue and related issues.

In terms of the View Products page working, although I appreciate the related topics you addressed in your initial post, Brian [and/or the SAS Link Engineering Department] needs to know that the related dance of other topics "came in close but no cigar."

Usability is an important factor both in webpages and in network choices.
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 23rd, 2006 at 10:12 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

This problem has not been resolved yet.

An affiliate should be able to view and to access the individual products.

Please fix this.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    In addition to posting here Rhia7 have you emailed SAS directly?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I poked SAS Support about this issue via email today and referred them to this thread, in the off chance that they missed it.

Thanks,

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by TFAW.com
    I poked SAS Support about this issue via email today and referred them to this thread, in the off chance that they missed it.

Thanks,

Dale
    Thanks, Dale
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

rhia7
    Tell me
    Rhia7
    is this site
    (it isn't but don't ask if sites belong to affiliates)
    yours????
    Last edited by loxly; October 1st, 2006 at 07:22 PM. Reason: removed link

Quote Originally Posted by AntiFraud
    Tell me
    Rhia7
    is this site
    yours????
    I don't know which site you were referring to as the link has been expunged, but it's not proper etiquette to ask such questions on this board -- yet, I remember *your* history ...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by AntiFraud
    Tell me
    Rhia7
    is this site
    yours????
    Is this your picture, Miles?
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=53
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Dale, there's NO WAY they missed, there have been a number of threads about it starting WEEKS ago - and Brian has responded several times.

Brian already knows, he hasn't missed the issue at all, but as the CEO he knows what SAS priorities are, and individual product links are very easy to get using the makeapage feature. It's not like affiliates can't get products links - they certainly can.

He'll do what's on his own priority list in his own choice of order, and anyone trying to shove a stick up his backside about it constantly is wasting their time. He's still the boss of the applesauce at SAS and will continue to be.

He knows all about it, it's systemwide, not just one merchant or one person: Google search. See?

ABW Ambassador
    Brian Littleton:
    We are making some improvements to the way that page worked so it is not available right now... With the Make-A-Page you should be able to still use a keyword search. And if not, the best suggestion is to download the datafeed into Excel or something similar and just search the description field or product name field for the exact thing that you are looking for -
    So that's how it is, and no doubt it isn't something being deliberately withheld just to be mean.

As I understand it, both the Makeapage and individual product linking are dependent upon the feeds submitted by merchants. So, given that most of the high $$$ producers use the feeds and *demand* them from merchants, and that merchants have given SAS feedback on the system that's been in place for them over time, it's a good guess that a priority would be to get the feed procedures and enhancements and IT routines in place first off, since the others depend on them in the first place.

More than likely, from a programming perspective, the other linking options would be a sub-routine or separate functions tapping into the main feed files, so it's logical to think that the *main* course would be cooked up properly before the side dishes that depend on them, so to speak.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread