Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Decline in American Sports
    What is up with American Sports in the international arena?

I am totally bummed by the Ryder Cup right now.

Add to that the Davis Cup, Men's and Women's basketball, hockey, soccer, and baseball and I cannot remember the last time we won a major sports competition on the international level.

Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Cheer up Matty - there's always the WWF!!! We still have the best fake wrestlers in the world!!
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; September 24th, 2006 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typo
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Alright Mr Silver Lining, THAT was a good one.

We also have American Football as well.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

[QUOTE=MattMcWilliams]What is up with American Sports in the international arena?

Matty, I don't watch TV news or read paper news, so I missed it when American Football became an "international" competition.

Maybe the answer with North American Sports would be to have our playoffs only in U.S. or Canada and then declare that the winner is the world champion!! We'd be numero uno in everything!!
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; September 24th, 2006 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I just meant it is one sport we have a leg up on...keep in mind that basketball and baseball were not international sports 80 years ago

Anywho the US is just getting absolutely demolished right now in the Ryder Cup. Was looking forward to 2008 when its right up the road in Louisville...now I'm not sure I care
    Matt McWilliams

We probably have a leg up in football because we're the only player!! But I know what you're trying to say and "I feel your pain"..

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Golf maybe a different story but in most the other sports you mentioned, we definitely seem to be getting worse compared to other countries. Athletics are huge here but I think that in other countries it is truly a way of life. They live it 24 hours a day. Their athletes are groomed and maybein some countries they get the best of everything, training facilities, money, etc...

Sure if you play any of the big 4 sports and are talented and have aspirations of going pro, you might get better treatment and access to better training facilities. I think in the US sports is a way of life for many but not at the same level in other countries nor supported like other countries (again except the major sports).

Just look at how many high schools can't even afford to keep many of their sports teams, cutting programs left and right. While in other countries kids that same age eat, drink and breath their sports, night and day.

Maybe it's not truly a level playing field anymore

Hard to believe really, but in some respects they DO have an advantage when it comes to training, especially on the TEAM level. So many of them have been playing together for 10-15-20 years. They know everything there is to know about one another on the court and off.
    Matt McWilliams

ABW Ambassador
    We won the Little League World Series. At least the kids are doing their part

Kids turn pro
    I guess those kids will go on to become highly paid, endorsement rich pros and lose to New Guinea in the first round of the "Introducing baseball to New Guinea" cup!!!

Alan, that is hilarious. Pigmes are damn good baseballers though!
    Matt McWilliams

You are correct sir! It's because they have an easy time fielding ground balls!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread