Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Question Getting Rid of a Cricket
    With all the problems in the world - I know this is a minor issue. But I have a cricket in my living room, and it is slowing driving me crazy.

My office is next to the living room, and every time I leave to work on my websites -chirp, chirp, chirp. From sundown to sunup. It's been 3 days.

I can't find him. I ran the vacuum cleaner to scare him, the minute I stopped he started up. I have one of those environmental white noise machines so I tried that to trick him into thinking I was still in the room. He saw right threw that!

Any ideas!

Oh I borrowed the neighbor's cat, she didn't seem intersted in hunting crickets.

Lily

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Raid.
    Aim at where the sound is coming from, of course.

And if you can pinpoint the source really good, just stomp on the motha!

ABW Ambassador
    Insect tip #9: If there are pets in the house and there's a problem with using insecticides, spraying the insects with straight Simple Green works. I've done it any number of times with fruit flies - or gnats (where the heck would they come from?).

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you Leader and webworker,

I was hoping to avoid using an insecticide in the house. (My neighbors cats visit almost daily.) So I will try Simple Green. Is it readily available? I've never heard of it. Which aisle of the supermarket usually has it? But if that doesn't work. Here comes the Raid. I'll just open the windows and ban the cats for a few days.

Lily

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Crickets are considered good luck in China.

Crispy Crickets, They're Not Just For Dinner Anymore
    Maybe we should ask Chris and the gang about the eating habits in Thailand.

http://www.maddogproductions.com/ds_insects.htm

Bon Appetite

Julia Poopie
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

ABW Ambassador
    Simple Green is a cleaning product that comes in concentrated form, so it can be diluted to make gallons and gallons of the stuff, cheap and good. It's in cleaning supplies in the super market, or is usually available at restaurant/janitorial supply stores, even cheaper. Worth buying just as a cleaning product anyway, and can be added to laundry as a cleaning booster (1/4 cup), or highly diluted to wash the car.

In concentrated form, it's highly alkaline, which is what I guess gets them.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Its probably in the wall. Very annoying. Can you safely get to a place that has access to the inside of the wall?

I can in my house from the attic. But I dont know how safe or effective that is in your house. Then spray some Raid down the crack there.

Try tapping lightly on the walls to see when it stops. Thats the wall.

Maybe remove a light switch cover or wall outlet cover and spray in the wall.

Good Luck and be safe.

I can't find him. I ran the vacuum cleaner to scare him, the minute I stopped he started up. I have one of those environmental white noise machines so I tried that to trick him into thinking I was still in the room. He saw right threw that!

Any ideas!
    Well, I don't know if this will work for crickets but, it works for many other things.

You can learn more about out of phase sound waves technology if you don't want to commit a crickicide.

Link to learn: Noise-cancelling headphone - From Wikipedia

Link to build: Build These Noise-Canceling Headphones by Jules Ryckebusch

Link to shop: The sound of silence

Kill all the cockroaches you want, but pardon the cricket.

fruit flies - or gnats (where the heck would they come from?).
    Despite the fact that a lot people call these "fruit" flies, many species of these type of insects are actually fungus gnats, which eat mold--the kind of molds that grow in the wet and in soil.

Look for wet papers, leaky faucet seals...anyplace that's always got at least a film of water on it. Look under the sinks (in the cupboards below) if nothing's obvious. Then dry up the wetness. And, if you notice that you get an infestation after getting a new plant, treat the soil, since if you just let it dry up the plant will die before the gnats do (be careful that you don't burn the roots).

In MI, it's usually a self-correcting problem in any season except summer, since the furnace runs steadily the rest of the year and keeps everything dried up enough. But in LA you'll probably have to track down the source of wetness.

There is one kind of "gnat" that doesn't follow the pattern. Drain Flies look like big gnats, but they're really flies that breed in the drain(s). They come in small numbers, and look kind of cute (kind of like if a kid drew a fly, only small). Little things with rounded wings. It's hard to get rid of these since the gunk deep in the drain gives their larvae plenty of room to hide from anything you put down there (including boiling water).

This is gonna sound really stupid and you probably may already have done so.....but believe me I definitely seem to get more than my share of crickets (they seem to love our basement which is where the computer is) and they do drive you crazy with their noise. I just trick the little guys. Wait til it's dark and there they are. Then you can get em any way you'd like. A husband's construction boot makes a good method (but ummm does make a bit of a mess...won't go into gory details) then of course ....you go get husband to umm tidy up.
    I don't like killing anything ....even bugs cos they can't help it that they're bugs....but if it comes down to me or them.... I'll try to reason with em first by telling them they won't like what happens next...so if they're smart they'll go away, but after being warned and they still decide to stay...can't say they weren't warned. (lol....I'm teasing...for any of you out there wondering....no I don't really talk to bugs. lol )
    My preferred method of ummmm sending them onto a better place is wait til they get near a sink and then just drowning them.. Clean, quick and if a guilt complex exists.....can always tell myself I didn't kill em.....just sent them to the nearest place for a bit of a swim. And......hope they don't survive and then return for revenge. lol

Hope whatever method you use...you get rid of em. I definitely agree with ya....between them and the cicadas.....could be driven crazy by the noise probably very quickly.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Crickets are considered good luck in China.
    ahh.. we should all have a cricket or two in our office

i would put some glue pad out (from wal-mart) and some cricket food on the pad. Put the pad close to the sound of the cricket...

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Ever read "The Secret Life of Bees"? Maybe make a trail of graham cracker crumbs leading from the sound of of the cricket out the front door.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Wow, I loved "The Secret Life Of Bees." Invertebrates are very interesting critters.

We had a cricket in our family room for a while. We tried to catch it so we could put it outside but it was too fast for us. I'm assuming the little guy or gal died somewhere in that room. :sniffle:

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I get crickets in my basement all the time just turn off the lights and wait then you can usually scoop them up and throw them back outside. (of course I think the same guy keeps coming back in LOL)
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

ABW Ambassador
    CRICKET UPDATE

I sprayed with Raid at the last point I heard him. (Every time I walk into the room he goes quiet.) So far it its still quiet....We'll see.

I considered the graham cracker trail. But was afriad of what I would attract. Our house is over 200 years old and has no basement. Just the original stone foundation, and a two-foot crawl space. So you never know what is underneath.

Thank you for all the ideas. Lily

ABW Ambassador
    The Raid worked! My house is quiet again.

Thank you Leader, don't know why the obvious solution eluded me.

Lily

We call 'em grasshoppers over here. And they manage to get in through open windows on the upper floor because the critters get EVERYWHERE.

Luckily, the late summer here has been pretty chilly so the windows have been shut. We've just had spiders, followed by spiders and more spiders. Did I mention the spiders?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntLily
    The Raid worked! My house is quiet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    We've just had spiders, followed by spiders and more spiders. Did I mention the spiders?
    Spiders are good. They eat most of the other bugs, while basically staying out of my way.
    Crickets, unfortunately, are usually too big for 'em. But they make excellent fly-trappers.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Glad you got rid of your cricket problem. My husband had to get rid of one this morning in our basement. They're pretty much an every day thing in the basement. (that's where the computer is, tho and I ain't sharing it with any bugs lol ) Yeap, my husband definitely agrees with you Leader. Unless they're a monster spider he doesn't want any of them killed cos they are I guess a beneficial bug.

That's unusual how they're grasshoppers in the UK. we got grasshoppers here, too. Guess the crickets do look like grasshoppers, tho except they're not green.

I haven't seen nearly the amount of lady bugs around for whatever reason this year. Miss them, cos they're nice little bugs that are beneficial, too. I'd never harm them

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I use a can of hair spray and a cigarette lighter... a cricket flame thrower... but usually only outdoors.

ABW Ambassador
    Buy some cricket bait and when it comes out step on it. Or lovingly cusp it in your hands and set it free outside

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Buy some cricket bait and when it comes out step on it. Or lovingly cusp it in your hands and set it free outside
    Darn the first time I read that I though you said cricket BAT which isn't actually a device for batting crickets.

Craneflies are a pest here at the moment (daddy longlegs they're usually called).
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

A little less toxic mix in case you have kids or animals, mix molasses and vanilla extract (or lemon juice) in a bit of water. Put in a shallow dish. Crickets are attracted to it much like slugs are to beer. The cricket will drown.

ABW Ambassador
    Mellie,

I did try your idea. The concoction attracted all sorts of bugs and ants, but not the cricket.

Lily

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast