FREE Tools From Microsoft!
    I found these free tools from Microsoft today, I don't now if anyone else might be interested on free tools from Microsoft, but here they are anyway.

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition 449,848 KB
    Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition 445,282 KB
    Visual C# 2005 Express Edition 445,282 KB
    Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition 474,686 KB
    Visual J# 2005 Express Edition 448,702 KB
    Source: FREE Visual Studio Express Editions!
    Btw, even on DSL it took me about 2hrs just to download one of those 450MB files.

10. How much will these products cost?
    Effective April 19th, 2006, all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions are free permanently. This pricing covers all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions including Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual C++, Visual J#, and Visual Web Developer as well as all localized versions of Visual Studio Express.
    Source: Frequently Asked Questions
    Sal.

I actually paid for the first version of "Visual InterDev" (later renamed Visual Studio and now Visual Web Developer) several years ago -- I paid several hundred dollars for it. This year, I've downloaded and played with the new Visual Web Developer tool, but haven't used it for any projects.

I found it to be a very useful tool for editing existing web pages. I never really used it to create web pages or sites, because it is a very complex product that requires a lot of time to learn, and probably a "mental shift" toward a specific style of web development. (The default settings also create some very bloated code, a typical Microsoft "feature.")

I attended a Microsoft "release event" for SQL Server 2003 and there was a wonderful demo in which a Microsoft guy created a complete database-driven web site from scratch using Visual InterDev and SQL Server in about 10 minutes. I think in the real world, you'd need hundreds of hours of experience with this tool before you could do something like that.

Note that Microsoft also now offers a "free" version of SQL Server, called SQL Server Express. (Oracle also offers a free version of its database product.) You can actually use Visual Web Developer as an interface to create SQL Server databases.

Finally, the huge size of the Visual Web Developer download is due to the inclusion of the complete MSDN library. I had assumed that the Microsoft downloader would recognize if you already have installed MSDN and not download it again if you select other products -- but perhaps not.

I am pretty sure there was no SQL Server 2003. THey went from 2000 to 2005.

And I can personally attest that after a little bit of training you can use Visual Studio and SQL Server 2005 and create a database driven website pretty darn fast. Right now I could easily do it in 10m. All drag and drop, point and click. Mind you it would not be terribly pretty. But it would functio. Good websites always take time to make. But that is design, not the database part.

I am going to pause typing this and see how long it takes me to create a simple site: 3 minutes. Bam. And that includes the ability to page and sort.

What I did.

1. Created a new new web project
    2. Dragged in a control to display a list of records from a DB
    3. Told it which DB and which fields I wanted in that control
    4. Apply a simple style to it so I'd have some nice headers and alternating row colors.
    5. Selected the options to have paging and sorting in the item list.
    6. Click on the play button to view in browser.

I did type... when I was establising the database connection it asked me the server which was my local machine. Other than that it was all P&C.

XO,
    Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

These are good resources tuturials and VIDEOS as well:

http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/
    http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/default.asp

The only downside to using microsoft asp.net is the overload of javascript, load times, price

I have a complete coupon site built in asp.net according to alexa 83% websites are faster. If you plan to use asp.net be prepared to pay a couple of thousand dollars for a sql client license especcillaly if they are database driven sites

Good point netnow. If my site - asp.net or otherwise - starting growing and doing well the database needs its own space. It needs to be on a different disk first, and then a different machine.

Do the alexa ratings take into account network locations at all? Can a site be ranked as slower if it is further away from them?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Wow Microsoft giving away something for free?

I guess Bill Gates' philantropist feelings are rubbing off at the office too??

That is great news..

Just thought i would also post this for all newbies

http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter....aspx?tabid=62

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    I am pretty sure there was no SQL Server 2003. THey went from 2000 to 2005. // And I can personally attest that after a little bit of training you can use Visual Studio and SQL Server 2005 and create a database driven website pretty darn fast. Right now I could easily do it in 10m. All drag and drop, point and click. Mind you it would not be terribly pretty. But it would functio. Good websites always take time to make. But that is design, not the database part. // I am going to pause typing this and see how long it takes me to create a simple site: 3 minutes. Bam. And that includes the ability to page and sort. * * *
    Has it really been that long? Yeah, you're right -- the local Microsoft shindig was at the Marriott in San Ramon, California, and I remember parking in a spot that's now covered by a Peet's Coffee and a bunch of other stores, so it must have been that long ago. I know the SQL Server t-shirt I got is really faded.

I don't dispute that it can be done in 10 minutes, just that there is a bunch of time that you need to spend learning the program, first. I've spent a few hours several different times, without success.

Cool
    Mark,

If you have any questions you drop me a message, a PM, or a direct email. I am imbedded in this stuff 24/7 and am amsorbing like a sponge. In addition I have a guy working for me that knows how to do anything with ASP.NET.

Patrick
    ---
    ---

Hayward - Isn't that up by Novato? I've done some flying out of the Novato airport before.
    ---
    ---

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread