CJ pays affiliates for referals but*
    Quick Q,

Does anyone know why CJ pays publishers a referal fee for bringing new publishers to the network, but doesn't pay merchants for doing the same? I think our CJ affiliate program will attract many NEW publishers to the CJ network, but they have said "no dice" to referral fees. Just wondering out loud and trying to see the logic...

geoff marcy
    Last edited by geoffmarcy; September 24th, 2006 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmarcy
    Does anyone know why CJ pays publishers a referal fee for bringing new publishers to the network, but doesn't pay merchants for doing the same? I think our CJ affiliate program will attract many NEW publishers to the CJ network, but they have said "no dice" to referral fees. Just wondering out loud and trying to see the logic...
    Are you saying that you set up a publisher account at CJ for your company, but when you tried to join their offer, they rejected you (or removed you)?

clarification
    NO,

I am saying that I am a merchant on CJ about to launch, and I discovered that they only pay referals to publishers for bringing NEW publishers to the Network. Just wondering why?

hope that helps

geoff marcy
    Last edited by geoffmarcy; September 24th, 2006 at 05:47 PM.
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]

I think he is saying He is a Merchant and when people sign up to his Affiliate program which is sponsored by CJ he gets no refferal fee for signing up affiliates to his own affiliate program.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I think he is saying He is a Merchant and when people sign up to his Affiliate program which is sponsored by CJ he gets no refferal fee for signing up affiliates to his own affiliate program.
    Ahh . . . now I understand. I think the whole original concept of CJ/BeFree and LinkShare (and SaS, and the rest) is that every merchant is going to bring some new affiliates into the "pool" of network affiliates. One of the benefits (to merchants) of using a network is the notion that every new affiliate to ANY program in the network, may then discover your program and choose to join.

I actually didn't realize that CJ was still paying publishers for sending new affiliates to the network -- I thought the only bonus came from bringing in a new merchant. (I haven't tried sending traffic to any affiliate network or ad network since 1999, so I don't know where the money or leads are in that space any longer.)

Does your contract expressly prohibit you from joining CJ as an affiliate and then using those affiliate links when recruiting new affiliates into your CJ program? Does the contract require that you use a specific kind of merchant link when directing "affiliate recruits" to the CJ system (from either your web site or emails)? If it does not, then you might still be technically "permitted" to do this -- but it does seem to evade the spirit of the merchant/CJ relationship.

I am not too sure why...

But maybe it is because signing up a merchant to CJ always require human involvement (on the phone) therefore it is hard to give any affiliate credit for it?

Just maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by DataFeedFile.com
    * * * signing up a merchant to CJ always require human involvement (on the phone) therefore it is hard to give any affiliate credit for it?
    This is probably true for ANY "business-to-business" transaction. Whenever there is an "offline" component, or when there are multiple decision-makers (so that the person who first clicked to learn about the affiliate network might not be the person who ultimately submits the online signup form), there is an increased possibility that the transaction will not be credited to an affiliate.

But there are ways around this -- coupon codes, for example, can be used to provide the customer with an incentive to provide the tracking information when placing an order. Another "trick" is to capture a "lead" at the first click-in, and then credit that affiliate if that visitor's company later becomes a customer.

Another problem with "B2B" transactions is that sophisticated buyers may sign up to become affiliates themselves, in order to capture the affiliate share of the transaction, if the amount is high enough. (When I bought Arelis/IBP for $250, I considered signing up for their affiliate program in order to capture the commission back -- but I noticed that although the commission would be more than $50, the affiliate payment threshhold was set at $65, which means affiliates won't get paid unless they drive 2 or more sales.)

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmarcy
    they only pay referals to publishers for bringing NEW publishers to the Network
    Why should they pay for publishers already in the network? Where is the value added there?

BTW yes, they do pay on *New* publishers.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

CJ used to pay merchants for new affiliates coming into the network - until 2002 when they split the publisher and advertiser interfaces. Now the only way to EARN any commissions is via a publisher account.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

Quote "Why should they pay for publishers already in the network? Where is the value added there? "

Of course CJ shouldn't pay referrals to publishers already in their network, you're right Haiko - there is no value add in that situation.

Let me explain further the point I am trying to make. CJ is requiring us to create a CJ signup link on our company affiliate page which then links to a co-branded CJ page where NEW affiliates would join the CJ network. This co-branded page is ONLY for new CJ affiliates that join. So we are recruiting new affiliates for CJ in the hopes it will genereate revenue for our program - just wondering why they didn't offer us a kickback (when they offer publishers kickbacks).

geoff marcy
    Last edited by geoffmarcy; September 25th, 2006 at 02:03 PM.
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread