why is CMS regarded to be `web 1.0' not `web 2.0'?
    I was just wondering wht content managment systems are regarded to be web 1.0 technology, ratehr than web 2.0 technology? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

http and a telephoto
    Maybe because they have been around forever and haven't changed much?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Web 2.0 usualy refers to web application which uses full CSS stylesheet, DHTML, and fully W3 XHTML compliant.

Simply put they do not use the typical HTML tables, <table><tr><td> anymore.

First of all Web 2.0 (just like AJAX) is just a marketing buzz word.

I'd also say that the recent trend towards website are to be more interactive and response with out the roundtrip back to the server. They also tend to perform more like applications installed on your local machine. There can be a web 2.0 CMS. I just cannot think of Web 2.0ish/AJAXish CMS system.

It is also very possible that a CMS site does not lend itself to the kind of interactiveness that comes with web 2.0/ajaxish websites. CMS websites tend to not be very interactive from a users point of view. You click, click, click to read read read but not much more than that. Maybe some light searching.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by DataFeedFile.com
    Web 2.0 usualy refers to web application which uses full CSS stylesheet, DHTML, and fully W3 XHTML compliant.

Simply put they do not use the typical HTML tables, <table><tr><td> anymore.
    I disagree. You can have a Web 2.0 site that uses HTML tables and minimal CSS. Usually when we talk about Web 2.0 we talk about the features and organization. It's mostly to do with collecting content from users while allowing them to categorize it via tags. Another way to say web 2.0 is "social software".

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

The mere fact that we all have definitions is why I dislike the phrase web 2.0. It does not "mean" anything. It is an opinion. Not a technical definition, a social definition, etc. You cannot say something is or is not web 2.0. It is all a matter of opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0 (merely another opinion of web 2.0)

Read it all, and especially scroll down to the criticism area.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    The mere fact that we all have definitions is why I dislike the phrase web 2.0. It does not "mean" anything. It is an opinion. Not a technical definition, a social definition, etc. You cannot say something is or is not web 2.0. It is all a matter of opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0 (merely another opinion of web 2.0)

Read it all, and especially scroll down to the criticism area.
    I don't agree that the phrase "Web 2.0" is an opinion. I believe that it does define a very distinct set of core features. The problem may be that this definition is extremely general and encompasses many aspects of web design. This coupled with the buzzworthiness of Web 2.0 has created a mess of "Web 2.0" sites that barely grasp the core components. This creates confusion as is very evident on Wikipedia's convoluted and unorganized definition.

- Scott

Thanks tons for your responses.... you guys are so knowledgable I wish you were my neighbours. I'd have so much more fun watering the garden.

And thanks, I'll check out wiki , patrick (wiki is my backup brain, after google I mean).

For some reason I've had trouble understanding web 2, even after reading Tim O'relly's report. The term `Social software' helps..I Like that Snib...thanks.

The Content managment systems I've worked with don't have user tagging, but they can be modified to include polls, user reviews, forums, voting. And Any article you write can potentially be user modifiable by setting ` write privildges' for the text.

That is where I'm confused......I mean the site modules can be organised in such away to be highly interactive, even social (ish).

So my question is, do i really need to learn new coding skills, or do you think my `old skool' php my sql driven sites are going to be good enough, if they are modified to be more `web 2.0-ish'??

Your current old skool skills will evolve. You can't help it. Just take small steps.

And please... don't add anything unless it is really needed, desired, or gives benefit to the end use. Don't add it just because you saw it someplace else.
    ---
    ---

Snib,

What is the very distinct set of features of web 2.0 ? (And I don't mean this at all in a confrontational or challenging way)

Patrick
    ---
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Snib,

What is the very distinct set of features of web 2.0 ? (And I don't mean this at all in a confrontational or challenging way)

Patrick
    I'd say in order to be a web 2.0 site you need at least 3-4 of the following:

- Social features like profiles, user submitted content & comments
    - Tagging
    - AJAX user interfaces
    - Social networking
    - RSS feed or SMS content distribution

This is the definition I've come up with by studying this industry, but it may vary slightly between some industry experts. Web 2.0 in my mind is somewhat of a cross between social software and the web as a platform. By platform I mean the information offered on a website needs to be distributed by RSS or some sort of API.

Things like AJAX, CSS design, pastel colors and rounded corners are all characteristics of a Web 2.0 site, but they don't make a site Web 2.0.

- Scott

What is the very distinct set of features of web 2.0 ?
    I think there are two distinct sides to web 2.0 - the design and the functionality. To me, the design is the "buzzword" side. Web 2.0 design (at least right now) uses CSS, XML, AJAX, bright colors, shiny graphics, big text, and so on. However, design is always changing. Something could be web 2.0 and not use these technologies, just as the web 2.0 functionality (we're getting to that...) could be designed with the next hot technology that comes along.

Web 2.0 functionality I believe is the lasting aspect of the whole web 2.0 thing. It is a set of usability values that have much more staying power than the design and technical aspects. Things like user-driven content, communication between the webmaster and the users, social networking, tagging, etc... These are the lasting aspects of web 2.0 because they are ideas rather than technologies.

CMS, then, can certainly be web 2.0, it just depends what the functionality of the site is...

--Jason
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread