Incentive site or not?
    Maybe a silly question, but since I don't do incentive sites, as of yet...here goes.
    Obviously if you offer your visitors cash back on purchases then you are an incentive site? What if you make donations to charity based on sales? What exactly is the definition or defining factor of an incentive site?
    How does this affect approval for programs? Who disallows incentive sites from their programs? (Generally speaking, lead based, sale based...)
    How does the big "G" look on such sites?

Thanks to all for any input on the subject.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Who disallows incentive sites from their programs? (Generally speaking, lead based, sale based...)
    I think lead sites disallow 'em more, since it's so easy to fill in a form just to get the incentive. Those would be dud leads to most, if not all, places. Also, I know some sales sites don't allow 'em either--seems that certain products/services are often only "bought" long enough to get credit for the incentive, and are then cancelled or returned.

How does the big "G" look on such sites?
    I don't know if they discriminate against them per se, but from what I've seen, they don't have any easier time of ranking than any other linkless new site. The listings aren't deluged in zillions of different incentive sites, after all.

For any site, I think it takes some effort or money, or both, to get the ball rolling and get enough links for G to acknowledge its existence and rank it up.
    What exactly is the definition or defining factor of an incentive site?
    To me, it's if the customer (or their "designated assignee" [usually some charity or school]) gets some kind of kickback in exchange for shopping there. There is, or is claimed to be, some kind of purchase tracking, rather than a generic "we donate X% of profits" type claim.

If a site just said, "10% of proceeds go to [charity name]" I'd consider it a marketing ploy, but not necessarily a true incentive site. But, some networks and merchants may disagree with that assessment.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks Leader for your post...I can definitely see how leads would be almost next to useless from such a site.
    As for sales though, people are gonna buy stuff, you would think that most sales would be legit, but there is always the few who try to cheat their way through whatever thay are confronted with.

This is a good question for some AM to answer.

Another somewhat gray area, I am sure we all are curious to see what some Managers would say about their opinion on this.

If each AM would provide a paragraph defining what is Incentive and what is not. I think that would be interesting.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    A merchant should use some form of incentives on the repeat customers as a loyality reward. This is a small select group receiving the special offer and any general broadcasting of this offer by Mass traffic affiliates will dilute the message... WE appreciate your business. The highest converting product mechant on the Internet for over 5 years offers only a free freight on sales shipped to USA destinations over $75.00. Never any coupons (low low cart abandonment ratio) and not one "incentive" (cash back, reward/points/rebate) affiliate allowed into their program. No other merchant has less fraud, sales reversals or spam in the SERPs then this merchant.

End of my paragraph and story.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Each merchant has their own definition

Each merchant does have their own definition. In most cases it comes down to this, are you (the affiliate) offering the surfer any kind of benefit from signing up or buying from the sponsor... and you must thinking the broadest sense. Giving points/cash/items is obviously an incentive, and this is regardless of whether it's the surfer or some non-profit group getting the incentive. Giving the surfer access to a members-only area of website in return for signing up/purchasing is an incentive. Giving them non-monetary rewards like a extra lives in an online game is incentive too.

The notion that all incentive traffic is bad for lead-based campaigns is common, but incorrect. A well thought out campaign can make excellent use of incentive traffic at a profit to the merchant. You do have to be very careful though, and it certainly doesn't work for every campaign.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

AzoogleAds will tell you that this is incentive.. I did that question some time ago to them..

I am also thinking about a kind of incentive program for my website. But it may be very tough for selecting programs and members management.

(edited out sig)
    Last edited by Trust; November 5th, 2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: deleted sig - you don't get that yet

What if you make donations to charity based on sales?
    Charity donation sites are definitely incentive sites...

seems that certain products/services are often only "bought" long enough to get credit for the incentive, and are then cancelled or returned.
    ...but I'm not sure this applies to charity sites. I can understand someone "buying" something and then returning it after they get the $5 they are owed, but someone returning something so some other organization/charity gets their money? Because that process is much more removed (and possibly less transparent), I see this as a less likely possibility.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread