Hostgator down from outsite US?
    I just noticed that sales for HostGator.com advertiser decrease close zero, so I tried to access his site and looks it is down for weeks , at least from my place (Brazil)

www.hostgator.com

I'm just able to access it using proxies - is it down only From Brazil?

Could you please access it reporting if it is up or down and where are you from?

In my case it is down and I'm from Brazil.

Thanks all for your help

Hmmm... Its working here in Ohio USA, and so are the sites I have w/them.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I imagine they're blocking access to whatever countries were suspected of hacking into their servers and planted a rootkit spreading Adware/Spyware/Trojans to all visitors of their hosted sites. They need to know which hosted accounts tried to destroy their business and running commands on the rootkit.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

It works fine for me. I would contact them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMag
    I just noticed that sales for HostGator.com advertiser decrease close zero, so I tried to access his site and looks it is down for weeks , at least from my place (Brazil)

www.hostgator.com

I'm just able to access it using proxies - is it down only From Brazil?

Could you please access it reporting if it is up or down and where are you from?

In my case it is down and I'm from Brazil.

Thanks all for your help

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    I imagine they're blocking access to whatever countries were suspected of hacking into their servers and planted a rootkit spreading Adware/Spyware/Trojans to all visitors of their hosted sites. They need to know which hosted accounts tried to destroy their business and running commands on the rootkit.
    Did this happen recently? I thought I'd seen a blip about it somewhere. If it did happen I wonder if my sites are affected?

I don't check their support boards very often, if at all anymore...keep thinking I'll move the sites I have there...I guess I'll go check their boards.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

http and a telephoto
    typo
    Yup, the times I was hacked it was the "spy kids from Brazil" and we ended up having to block all ip addresses from brazil. So it wouldn't surprize me if more hosts/servers did that also. They had very aggressive bots that were scanning servers for vulnerabilites in popular open source software.
    Last edited by loxly; September 25th, 2006 at 11:29 AM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It seems it was a cpanel exploit - the virus was sent through the headers somehow. They aren't saying much else about becuase they don't want to release to much information. Supposedly they think the attack came from China and only affected people using IE (installing a virus).

My sites didn't seem affected. They have it fixed now but they had to call in the troops on this one. They got just about every antivirus security software company involved to solve it. Pretty sophisticated attack.

Yeah they might be blocking whole ip blocks until they have more figured out.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Hi guys,

Now Hostgator its up again from here too, thanks for replies!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Yup, the times I was hacked it was the "spy kids from Brazil" and we ended up having to block all ip addresses from brazil. So it wouldn't surprize me if more hosts/servers did that also. They had very aggressive bots that were scanning servers for vulnerabilites in popular open source software.
    Yes, unfortunately - there are a lot of kids around here very good in this stuff, and I found my self blocked once on a IRC server and at a website due to this problem - confirmed by the webmasters after contacting them.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread