ABW Ambassador
    Google Search Engine Upgrade For Christmas - Product Searches
    "When people search for products on Google.com, the system will present them with another search box so that they can refine their query, according to Bear Stearns & Co analysts.

After people refine their query, Google takes them to a second page populated with product results from the Google Base listings service.

Currently, Google has no plans to monetise this product-search capability with display ads or listing fees, but that could change, they wrote."

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7153

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Say goodbye to about 1/2 of your affiliate sales that are the result of organic searches.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    "The plan also involves de-emphasizing Froogle as a destination website and moving its comparison-shopping capabilities to Google.com, because, as the Google official explained, most product searches happen on Google.com."

So I guess shortly when someone does a product search at Google.com they'll see more of this:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

Where you can sort by price, store, seller rating etc.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    The article compares Google's plans to what it is already doing with real estate searches. So.... I imagine the results would look more like this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=real+estate
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    Well it's not that much different They'll just add something at the very top like the Froogle search.

When it moves over to Google.com and someone does a product search, you'll probably see like in the Froogle example, the top part I imagine. Where you have the Price Range, Stores, or refine by...

"The plan also involves de-emphasizing Froogle as a destination website and moving its comparison-shopping capabilities to Google.com,"

So what you see, top part of Froogle, will probably move over to the top part of Google on a product search. In the real estate example, it'll go right here:

Refine your search for real estate

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Once they hook the surfer in with something like shown at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=real+estate they will probably own that sale.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Just more reason to work on stickiness and viral marketing

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    And TV ads... (yes, I do.)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    *Starts updating my previously-ignored GoodBulbs Froogle feed*

It's nice to see that they FINALLY admit (by this move), albiet reluctantly and after much prodding, that PEOPLE WANT TO SHOP online!
    I guess burying all the commercial sites under a bunch of info-content crap hasn't been working out so well after all

Now all they need to do is realize that (judging by conversion ratio) people really don't care too much if they hit an affiliate site instead of a merchant site, and that the dup-content penalty as they have implemented it is BS.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I wonder if this means Google will finally start policing the items listed in Base. I have seen many things, including amazon.com stuff listed by people not from there. (technology did it)

I think it also means that people will no longer use google as a search engine. Big G doesn't realize they are a search engine first and that is a shame. Looks to me like another company has lost its way from the business model that made it what it was the best search engine.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Now all they need to do is realize that (judging by conversion ratio) people really don't care too much if they hit an affiliate site instead of a merchant site, and that the dup-content penalty as they have implemented it is BS.
    If it's a poorly done affiliate site I'd rather just be sent directly to the merchant. I'm willing to bet many merchants get a higher conversion ratio from their own direct traffic than from their affiliate traffic as a whole.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    If it's a poorly done affiliate site I'd rather just be sent directly to the merchant. I'm willing to bet many merchants get a higher conversion ratio from their own direct traffic than from their affiliate traffic as a whole.

- Scott
    I only agree because sometimes a truly unconversionary site manages to get highly ranked. But most of the really bad ones get 0 hits.

What you're thinking of as "poorly done" probably doesn't even come close to the reality of the sea of unranked SuperKickassDesign-like sites out there

All of which have somehow found out about affiliate marketing... (and that merchants get to look at!)

Edited to add: I still think most people don't mind aff sites unless they're really awful. Anyone who prides themselves on web design has a much higher bar than most shoppers appear to have, judging by the conversion ratios.
    Last edited by Leader; September 26th, 2006 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I only agree because sometimes a truly unconversionary site manages to get highly ranked. But most of the really bad ones get 0 hits.

All of which have somehow found out about affiliate marketing... (and that merchants get to look at!)
    Hey Leader,
    Check out this Google Search:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=uncon...n&lr=&filter=0

There ain't nobody like u!

ABW Ambassador
    It should be a real word

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Hey Leader,
    Check out this Google Search:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=uncon...n&lr=&filter=0

There ain't nobody like u!
    Even more things are anticonversionary, though!

http://www.google.com/search?q=antic...n&lr=&filter=0

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    It should be a real word
    All "real" words have to start somewhere

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sometimes newly coined terms get proper contextual exposure... http://www.google.com/search?num=100...es&btnG=Search

Then the singular version shows the Goofle fubars on term exploiters.. http://www.google.com/search?num=100...re&btnG=Search
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread